U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-07-2010, 04:21 PM

4,815 posts, read 5,378,570 times
what a load of crap.

Don't move here then. problem solved.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 09:00 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,746,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cows Main View Post
Summary: The 'richer' the neighborhood, the more racist it is.
Does that mean Santee is the Beverly Hills of San Diego?

Old 12-08-2010, 05:49 AM

5 posts, read 6,714 times
You guys missed my point. I was not talking about blatant, 'hang black people on trees by their neck' racism.

I was talking more about discrete racism.

Like, 'Oh, I would NEVER step foot into that neighborhood! There's a lot of Mexican people that walk around!'

or...

'Did you see that new black family that moved in across the street?'

Old 12-08-2010, 06:11 AM

I attended and graduated from Mira Mesa High School. It is an extremely diverse school, with almost equal amounts of black, whites, browns, and yellows. Going there has taught the many children there and I to view the world with a completely 'color-blind' mentality, as in RACE DOES NOT MATTER AT ALL.

My father has lived in Mira Mesa forever, and he is a white male (blond hair and blue eyes) with a 6 figure income. He currently works in Rancho Bernardo, a white collar job. He owns three houses and two condos, all over the state, but he still lives in Mira Mesa because he loves it there.

Some of his work stories he tells me involves conversations with the 'upper-class' white people from 4s Ranch, RB, PQ, and all those other places.

The conversations with them, he tells me, usually goes something like this:

Upper-class person: Yeah, I'm from (insert rich place here). How about you?

My dad: Oh, I'm from Mira Mesa.

Upper-class person: *shocked* MIRA MESA?!??! I would NEVER step foot in Mira Mesa!!!!

Yes, one lady from 4s Ranch actually did that to him! That is probably the most extreme example, but he tells me a lot similar stories, usually resulting with the people from the 'richer' neighborhoods belittling Mira Mesa like it's a little pile of crap.

A lot of people also told my dad that they used to live in Mira Mesa back when it was 'nice', and explained to him that too many Vietnamese, Filipinos, and Mexicans started to move in. Apparently, when the colored people move in, it turns into a 'bad' neighborhood.

The main reason my father did not 'upgrade' to a nicer home in North County is because he thinks that mentality is disgusting. A few of my cousins live in those 'richer' neighborhoods, and they all grew up to be snobs.

Like I said before, it's not the younger crowd that has the 'racist' mentality. It's all of the older folks.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:34 AM

Actually, MM is kind of dumpy....I lived there for 8 years. Like I've said in other posts, when there's something on the news that's gone down, it's usually in Mira Mesa. In my other posts, I've listed the incidents, so I will spare the repeat here.

And if you think only "upper class" people say things like "oh I would never go into that neighborhood" or "look at the black neighbors who just moved in", you're so wrong. Dude, everyone does it, whether or not it's blatant or not. And it doesn't mean it's racism, that's just the way we're programmed biologically, there have been several studies that confirm this. And to tell you the truth, I'd rather be around people who are blatant about it, why? Because at least they're being honest and upfront about it. People of different "races" have differences, plain and simple. We know a pit bull and boxer are both dogs, but they have differences in their temperament, athletic ability, etc. just like people of different "races". We should celebrate our differences, not try to deny them.

And sorry to say, it's actually people like you...people who go around jumping up and down trying to proclaim how "colorblind" they are...people that come on these boards, contribute 4 posts, all preaching at how wonderful they are, and how evil everyone else is....people that try to make everybody else feel like less of a person if they don't have the same views, that are the ones who perpetuate "racism".

Last edited by djxpress; 12-08-2010 at 06:44 AM..

Old 12-08-2010, 09:58 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,092,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Actually, MM is kind of dumpy....I lived there for 8 years. Like I've said in other posts, when there's something on the news that's gone down, it's usually in Mira Mesa. In my other posts, I've listed the incidents, so I will spare the repeat here.

And if you think only "upper class" people say things like "oh I would never go into that neighborhood" or "look at the black neighbors who just moved in", you're so wrong. Dude, everyone does it, whether or not it's blatant or not. And it doesn't mean it's racism, that's just the way we're programmed biologically, there have been several studies that confirm this. And to tell you the truth, I'd rather be around people who are blatant about it, why? Because at least they're being honest and upfront about it. People of different "races" have differences, plain and simple. We know a pit bull and boxer are both dogs, but they have differences in their temperament, athletic ability, etc. just like people of different "races". We should celebrate our differences, not try to deny them.

And sorry to say, it's actually people like you...people who go around jumping up and down trying to proclaim how "colorblind" they are...people that come on these boards, contribute 4 posts, all preaching at how wonderful they are, and how evil everyone else is....people that try to make everybody else feel like less of a person if they don't have the same views, that are the ones who perpetuate "racism".
I agree with most of what you say, I can't really speak to MM because it's been a while since I lived in SD.
We all hope that our intentions are good even if our words don't reflect that. I try not to jump to the "racist " label quickly because as you stated we all have opinions and make statements, some regrettable and some intentional. I'm usually too busy trying to enjoy life for the short amount of time I have left to linger too long over some perceived slight.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:00 AM

227 posts, read 261,492 times
There is definitely a level of racism/snobbery from the higher income areas in San Diego but I think that is with most of Southern California. You barely notice anything in the inner city areas tho.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:06 AM

130 posts, read 231,065 times
Such a tired topic.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:09 PM

This thread makes me very sad.

It actually hurts me deep down inside. I am not trying to be better than anyone else. I am just trying to show people my thoughts and feelings about the matter, and my personal experiences.

It sucks when you live in a neighborhood your entire life with absolutely no problems at all, yet people always shoot it down, calling it 'trashy'. I spent my childhood walking/skateboarding/biking/driving around every side street, main street, and back alley ever since I was around eight years old, even well into the early morning (4am)!. I memorized every single aspect of the entire neighborhood. Every single Mira Mesa kid I have known has done the same. Everyone I know and I never had any problems. It was when I finally graduated when I saw how Mira Mesa was to the outside world. I've talked to people from those upper-class places in north county at the school I go to (SDSU). Some kid from Poway called Mira Mesa 'the hood'! Mira Mesa is extremely populated and very ethnically diverse. I am surprised there is not more crime then there is! It saddens me deeply when I hear older people say, "I will NEVER send my kids to Mira Mesa High School!" or "Don't live in Mira Mesa! it's bad!" My cousins and their friends from RB call Mira Mesa 'Chinatown'. WTF! Just across the street from my house, in the single family homes, there are three white families, a black family, a Mexican family, an Indian family, a Filipino family, a Vietnamese family, and a foster home with a variety of different ethnicity children!

People are always quick to call a neighborhood a piece of crap, but when those people in those 'crap' neighborhoods turn around and defend themselves, all of a sudden they are trying to be better than everyone else.

If you think about it, I would not be wasting my time trying to tell people all of this if it was not that big of an issue. The reason I made an account is because I see people constantly bashing the neighborhood I was born and raised in (Mira Mesa), and I felt the need to defend it, or at least tell people the truth. I mean, if people know nothing about a neighborhood, then what do they use to judge it? It makes me sad that so many people on this planet judge based on race. Do you know how many Private Messages I received from North County folks telling me that people should get pulled over by the police because of race? Quite a few.

I'll directly quote what one guy sent to me: "Blacks get pulled over because most of them are lazy criminals."

Only in Mira Mesa, would you find teenage couples where the male is half white/ half Mexican and the girl is half black/ half Japanese or the male is half white/ half Filipino and the girl is half Mexican/ half Vietnamese. Many, many Mira Mesa males have negative feelings about girls from the upper-class areas. I know a lot of people that feel attraction to a girl, but they say, "Oh, she's from Poway. I can never get with her."

Very sad, but very true. I wish it wasn't.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:28 PM

If you want an example of what Mira Mesa has become, look across the street from the high school entrance on Reagan Rd. All that spray paint doesn't look like a mural to me. Ever notice how many cop cars drive around MM? There's a reason for it.

Mira Mesa was nicer in the 80s-90s. But unfortunately, a lot of the bad element started moving in, which in turn drove a lot of the good element out. Granted, there are still pockets of nice areas in Mira Mesa, but those areas are getting smaller, and slowly vanishing.

You sound turned off by the fact that your cousin called Mira Mesa "Chinatown"? I would be too, it's mainly Filipino and that's a well known fact, so your cousin got it wrong.

The fact is, Mira Mesa is all you know/knew, so you really have nothing to compare it to. If you like Mira Mesa that's all that matters. You're fighting an uphill battle trying to convince people, especially on a forum, that Mira Mesa is this great place filled with happy rainbows and unicorns. The whole notion that America is this "melting pot" sounds nice on the outside, but when it really comes down to it, the facts show otherwise: How White Is Your Neighborhood?

San Diego: http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/4981433381/in/set-72157624812674967/ (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego