Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 11:52 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
It's easy to Love San Deigo, I grew-up in Clairemont, family is still there retired Army and Navy. I know it very well and I know it from the perspective when any thing west and north La Jolla was open space!!

San Diego always had a NorCal vibe but with the distinctly SoCal attributes and super friendly.
It's lost some of that given that 1.5 million more people live there. It always felt different and way more friendly than LA, and even the OC.

But Southern Californians have always been sort of ignorant of Sacramento, in fact, the whole State of California is a bit ignorant of the attributes of Sacramento. Alot of misinformation and stereotypes there.

Sacramento is very much under rated. Every time my SD relative comes for a visit they are delightfully surprised.

Cost of living and real estate, proximity to some great NorCal natural attributes and the City Sacramento itself has lot of charms, and the metro has alot of great neighborhoods and is expected to get more desirable.
I agree that Sacramento is underrated by snobby CA coastal folks that probably don't even know what they are talking about or never been there.

When I moved to Sac (the first place I lived in CA) natives of CA would say "sorry" as if I'd lost the CA lottery.

In general, I find native Californians bad at geography and lacking in cultural/world/US awareness after spending more time here, I also learned that geography is not a required subject in school...then it made sense!

All of CA is fascinating and beautiful to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 11:56 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
I love dispelling myths and stereotypes that coastal Californians have of Sacramento.

I'm a snow-skier and surfer, learned as Kid.

From Sacramento I can be at my favorite ski resort in 1hour and 1/2. and another 8 more resorts in Tahoe.

From Sacramento I can be at my favorite NorCal surfing spot in 1 hour and 45mins. It's a well-planned day trip. San Mateo Coast or the Marin Coast.

Even from the eastern reaches of San Deigo, you have to plan your beach day carefully, crowds, parking and such. NorCal's beach scene is mostly rural, uncrowded; this makes it alot easier for a Sacramentan to enjoy the coast, but if you want a lively crowded beach scene you won't get it in NorCal.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:03 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I love dispelling myths and stereotypes that coastal Californians have of Sacramento.

I'm a snow-skier and surfer, learned as Kid.

From Sacramento I can be at my favorite ski resort in 1hour and 1/2. and another 8 more resorts in Tahoe.

From Sacramento I can be at my favorite NorCal surfing spot in 1 hour and 45mins. It's a well-planned day trip. San Mateo Coast or the Marin Coast.

Even from the eastern reaches of San Deigo, you have to plan your beach day carefully, crowds, parking and such. NorCal's beach scene is mostly rural, uncrowded; this makes it alot easier for a Sacramentan to enjoy the coast, but if you want a lively crowded beach scene you won't get it in NorCal.
yeah, both have their strong points.

For me its not so much about crowding. Up north the beaches are more natural and majestic, beautiful (Point Lobos is a fave). It's more for hiking to me, or just taking it in.

In San Diego, you can actually go in the water....that's the major difference to me and it depends what you like to do. I like to actually be in the water so its factor.

But both areas have strong positives.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
Rgb123 abd Chimerique;

I cannot speak for the OP, but what I like about Sac is that it has a strong community vibe, everyrhing is easily accessible, and right now it has the feel of an up and coming city. There is a strong entreprenurial drive in midtown right now, with large investors buldiding comnercial and residential units everywhere and small scale investors setting up shop to put winebars, gyms, coffee shops and restaurants in okd warehouses or buildings. That and the strong artistic community really make me love the place. It helps me forget the dry look and bad air quality.

I am headed to the beach now though lol. This is pretty cool too. The OP wukl have to weigh what is important to him too I guess.
Cool, glad you get Sacramento!

Regarding the dry look, hello, it's green everywhere right now in Sacramento. It's all relative, drive from SoCal up "the" 5, look carefully Sacramento is a green paradise.

But drive south from the Oregon Border down "I-5"; it looks less green, like much of California.

Notice how I used the correct vernacular depending if you are in NorCal or SoCal,

Old 03-31-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post

In San Diego, you can actually go in the water....that's the major difference to me and it depends what you like to do. I like to actually be in the water so its factor.
You are not a "real" Californian until you or your kids either Surf or Snow Ski/Board or BOTH! (kidding, but seriously consider it)

If you are young and live in SD it's a crime that you don't learn to surf especially in Carlsbad; its so easy and it will be a lifelong FREE sport.

Your experience and perspective of the Beach and the Coast will increase exponentially. Just Do it - as long as you live near the beach.

And you should know the water is cold everywhere in California compared to Florida, Hawaii, Mexico, and the east coast in the summer.

Real NorCaler's wear a wetsuit pretty much 65% of the time all year round when in NorCal coastal waters. It's not cold when you wear a wet suit!

SAME with SACRAMENTO, I personally think; it's a "crime" not to learn to snow ski/board or surf , given Sacramento's easy access to skiable Alpine mountains and uncrowded beaches.

Last edited by Chimérique; 03-31-2014 at 12:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego