Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 10:13 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,515,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I'm scratching my head and trying to think...I am curious where you lived that there were no sidewalks. I cannot off the top of my head think of places without sidewalks in SD county outside of rural areas.
I can't speak too much for San Diego, even if I am a long-ago UCSD grad. But in L.A. this is quite common in residential districts both upscale and otherwise. The canyon roads in the Hollywood Hills and elsewhere rarely have sidewalks, and the same is true for many high density residential districts, in the side streets off the main commercial drags. IME it's not much of a problem in the flatland areas; the streets that don't have sidewalks rarely have enough traffic that it would be in any way dangerous to walk along the side of the street. Of course, if you're walking to work or transit and you have to wear dress shoes it may be uncomfortable and impractical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 12:03 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
As I was doing some work outside today, I thought of something and then this thread: most of the time, clouds as a whole are different out here. It probably has to do with the lack of humidity thus changing their make-up. You get so many completely clear days out here and a number of times of just thick marine layer, that you don't see clouds nearly as often in San Diego as you do back East and they are usually different looking.

As I was picking up my recycling bin a few moments ago, though - - I see East Coast clouds. Wispy ones and cumulous ones with real distinct edges to them. There are only so many days that you get those out here and when I do see them, I think it is my nostalgia and their relative rarity out here that really makes me happy. I wish I had to drive someplace far away just to keep looking at them!
Oh yeah, I'm always so excited the day before/after a system rolls through and we get actual fluffy clouds in the sky! I've often commented to friends on how it's usually either completely clear or completely gray here, so it's refreshing to see actual clouds once in a while

Old 05-01-2014, 12:29 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
I can't speak too much for San Diego, even if I am a long-ago UCSD grad. But in L.A. this is quite common in residential districts both upscale and otherwise. The canyon roads in the Hollywood Hills and elsewhere rarely have sidewalks, and the same is true for many high density residential districts, in the side streets off the main commercial drags. IME it's not much of a problem in the flatland areas; the streets that don't have sidewalks rarely have enough traffic that it would be in any way dangerous to walk along the side of the street. Of course, if you're walking to work or transit and you have to wear dress shoes it may be uncomfortable and impractical.
Portions of Cardiff by the Sea, Leucadia and Olivenhain do not have sidewalks. Also portions of old Del Mar.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:31 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,477 times
^^True, I walk up the hills in Cardiff all the time and usually walk on the shoulder of the road the majority of the time

Old 05-01-2014, 07:08 PM

20 posts, read 42,797 times
Default Unfriendly people

If you say hi to people, they will give you a mean look. Also, Southern CA is not laid back. It is a stressed out fast paced hell hole. I am glad to be out of there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyner View Post
What are a few things that surprised you when you moved to San Diego or surrounding suburb, from out of state?

I'm going to leave it open-ended in hopes for a variety of responses.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesedona View Post
If you say hi to people, they will give you a mean look. Also, Southern CA is not laid back. It is a stressed out fast paced hell hole. I am glad to be out of there.
Neither of your statements are true. We are all glad you are gone too

Old 05-01-2014, 11:11 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesedona View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
Neither of your statements are true. We are all glad you are gone too
"Neither" of Lovesdona's four above statements are true?

Old 05-02-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
"Neither" of Lovesdona's four above statements are true?
Oh yea, I forgot you were the grammar police on this board

I guess you would have been happy if I had said "None" instead? When I read her post the third sentence seemed like a continuation of her second statement that California is not laid back which is why I said "Neither". The fourth sentence isn't really a statement about the area, just her expressing her relief to be gone. So by my count there are only 3 statements about San Diego even if you count the third sentence as its own statement.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:55 AM

745 posts, read 1,568,068 times
Much of my neighborhood, built post WWII between about 1950 - 1955 has no sidewalks. Lots of us like it that way, though I suppose if I had young children playing out front with their wheeled toys I would long for sidewalks. Until the family next door moved in with their 3 kids (taking the place of a single man who actually owns the house but rented it out to them) our street was mostly kid free and we were happy with no sidewalks.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:59 AM

745 posts, read 1,568,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Thank you.It sounds very much like Tucson,AZ was back in '63-'64 when I was a teen and my dad was stationed there.Made for wonderfully comfortable summer night walks home from the roller skating rink.
Phoenix area must be MUCH hotter than Tucson. I remember my sister's wedding in 1966. It was thirty minutes after midnight when I was out with friend's after the wedding and it was 98 degrees. Lived in Mesa/Phoenix area from 1958 - 1975 and NEVER experienced comfortable summer nights. Couldn't even stand to sit out on the patio. Yuma, AZ where I lived from 1977-1978 was the same way at night, relentlessly hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego