U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 06:02 PM

259 posts, read 1,121,687 times

Advertisements

I know that there is a big Navy base in San Diego as well as Camp Pendleton to the north of SD for Marines. Do you get the feeling that the city itself feels like a military town? I know its a pretty big city so I was wondering what the feel was like. Nothing against people who are in the military or anything like that. I used to live in Pensacola FL which has a big Navy base and I'm looking for a place different in terms of this. I tend to find people who are in the military to be a bit conservative with a close minded attitude. Thanks for the opinions

Old 12-07-2007, 06:48 PM

4,515 posts, read 4,151,438 times
Generally I don't think San Diego feels like a military town. There are other large economic forces here besides military.

Except that politically San Diego is far-right conservative. Much more so than Sacramento or Pomona (I lived in each for several years). That's due, I think, to the presence of the military here.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:20 PM

841 posts, read 4,675,836 times
I was a military (Navy) brat for a good part of my life, so obviously I'll say San Diego does feel like a military town.

Here's what Wikipedia says:
Quote:
Military bases in San Diego include U.S. Navy ports, Marine Corps bases, and Coast Guard stations. One of the Marine Corps' two Recruit Depots is located in San Diego. San Diego is also known as the "birthplace of naval aviation," although Pensacola, Florida makes a rival claim.

San Diego is the site of the largest naval fleet in the world, and San Diego has become the largest concentration of Naval facilities in the world due to base reductions at Norfolk, Virginia and retrenchment of the Russian naval base in Vladivostok. Two of the U.S. Navy's Nimitz class supercarriers, (the USS Nimitz and the USS Ronald Reagan), five amphibious assault ships, several Los Angeles-class "fast attack" submarines, carrier and submarine tenders, and many smaller ships are home-ported there. Four Navy vessels have been named USS San Diego in honor of the city.[35]

Old 12-08-2007, 01:21 AM

2,993 posts, read 6,811,864 times
While San Diego is too big and too diverse to be a one-industry military town, the presence of the military is significant, felt in many locations, and is well accepted by the locals. You won't find the open hostility to the military that is prevalent among activist types in the Bay Area.

Oddstray's comment that San Diego is far-right conservative says more about Oddstray's place on the political continuum than it does about San Diego. San Diego as a city is rather varied from one part of the city to the other, but as a whole it leans just a notch to the right of center. It's sort of centrist with a bit of a libertarian feel. For example, the city has an unofficial nude beach.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:21 AM

7,173 posts, read 18,565,421 times
It depends, I spend a lot of time in North County and political views up there are indeed very conservative, way beyond 'right leaning'. You would not believe the kind of stuff that comes out of people's mouths up there. At my last job (in Poway) I got branded 'New York Liberal' because I disagreed with 'nuking Iraq'.

I have since learned to hide any liberal feelings up there. To be honest it is one of the things about SD that I really don't like, especially when they call your neighborhood 'ghetto' or make offhand comments about Mexicans or whatever.

The further out you get the more conservative they get until you end up with the gun nuts or libertarians or whatever.

I don't think the conservatism in SD has anything to do with the miltary anymore, although it once might have. It has more to do with the large population of midwesterners and retirees.

In the city of SD itself and the beaches, people are much more liberal.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:46 AM

2,683 posts, read 5,744,546 times
I think the conservativeness in San Diego has mostly to do with the large wealthy population, which makes them fiscally conservative. With the high cost of living, most people who can afford to live comfortable in San Diego are wealthy. San Diego also has a high rate of people who are Christian and attend church regularly, so they are conservative with the Christian evangelical values and morals. That's why I call Southern California to be the "bible belt" of California, because Orange County also has a huge Christian population.

Of course, San Diego is still considered a military town even though there is more to the city than the military. You have many different Navy bases (North Island, 32nd Street, NAB, NTC Point Loma) as well as Miramar Marine Corps. Air Station, and Camp Pendleton further north. The high military presence draws a lot of support and their families have strong patroitic values.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:33 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,891,677 times
Anyone remember this little episode at a Padre game by Miss Class herself?

YouTube - Roseanne Barr butchering the national anthem - 1990

SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Features -- Roseanne tries raising the Barr

Old 12-08-2007, 05:28 PM

31 posts, read 102,478 times
My husband is in the military and the only time I feel like I am in a military town is when I am down on the bases. Other than than I do not feel any military influence.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:32 PM

841 posts, read 4,675,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KQSellsHomes View Post
My husband is in the military and the only time I feel like I am in a military town is when I am down on the bases. Other than than I do not feel any military influence.
So I'm guessing you either don't live in a military housing community or you're too far away from a base to hear planes, helicopters, explosions, gun fire, etc.?

Old 12-08-2007, 07:57 PM

240 posts, read 636,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
politically San Diego is far-right conservative.
Please give us some examples of how San Diego is "far-right conservative". I hear this often but no one seems to have any evidence to back up this claim.

Compared with most of the U.S., the city of San Diego is on the liberal side. Outside the city limits, it might be a little different, but inside the city, for example, Al Gore won San Diego in 2000 and John Kerry won in 2004.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego