Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 03:11 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,477 times

Advertisements

As reference go to redfin.com and plug in a max price of 750k (don't filter anything else) for zip code 92007. Now that is not the case for every zip code but if you want a good walkable neighborhood that's close to the beach this is what inventory levels are like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 03:11 PM

34 posts, read 73,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
in terms of culture, I think you hit the nail on the head "it exists but you have to look for it"

Balboa Park is awesome in that it concentrates the museums and theatre, many of the arts into a small very beautiful area almost like a college campus.

Ironically, I think an unintended consequence of this is that, well it IS concentrated in one part of the city. Like, in Chicago the cultural spots are more spread out.

I mean, the LaJolla Playhouse is in LaJolla...but other than that I think the major cultural spots are in Balboa Park.

When I've visited there and looked online I've found a multitude of ways to get involved and stay close to whatever interests me (i.e. perhaps film or photography -- screenings and open houses at MOPA which is, yes, at Balboa Park).

But if you don't go, and don't sign up for the newsletter or pick up the pamphlet to find out where to get involved, then yeah...it will not come knocking on your door.

Well, it will have a better chance of happening though being involved with the university in some way
Through the university...that's what I'm hoping! Thanks for the context. I'm very excited, can't wait to make the move! (especially after this hellish winter we had)

Old 04-10-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
As reference go to redfin.com and plug in a max price of 750k (don't filter anything else) for zip code 92007. Now that is not the case for every zip code but if you want a good walkable neighborhood that's close to the beach this is what inventory levels are like
Looks............flush with options

I should know better, I'm coming from New York (in a tiny studio apartment, no less). I just hoped that maybe everywhere else wasn't as depressing as NYC is real estate-wise!

Old 04-10-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todovabien View Post
Looks............flush with options

I should know better, I'm coming from New York (in a tiny studio apartment, no less). I just hoped that maybe everywhere else wasn't as depressing as NYC is real estate-wise!
I hear you, I came from a tiny studio in DC but that's all I could afford!

Old 04-10-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Yeah definitely rent here first and really take the time to explore while you are here.

As AADAD and GMU pointed out, this is great advice.

To echo the housing budget aspect for purchasing, we live in a starter home area and in 2010 got a steal at 300k as it related to condition and relative location.
There is no way we could ever have bought this house now for 300k and this area is totally hit or miss.

Its not really a place most people would choose to buy a home in terms of "San Diego" the place on postcards. But for us its totally ok at this point in our lives with no kids and working from home.

But really, explore the idea of buying after being here for a while. I dont think owning is for everyone in SD. But over the long term can be a GREAT decision for the right lifestyle.
I'm new to the site, tried to reply to you and can't see it, sorry if you get it twice!

Anyway- can I ask where (generally) you live? Why isn't owning for everyone in SD? We currently live in Manhattan, which is a true renter's city, so I understand that reasoning but I'm wondering why so for San Diego? We're comfortable (and looking forward to) the disparity btwn urban and suburban in SD but are admittedly allergic to hardcore suburbs, so we'd like to stay in the "city" if possible, if you know what i mean.

Also, can you tell me anything about Rolando? It's near SDSU and looks to be cheaper. Is that a nice place to live/buy?

Also, we will definitely be renting first.

Thank you!

Old 04-10-2014, 03:52 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Quote:
We'd like something decently walkable, not in an extensive manner, but at least a few bars and restaurants around. I was zoning in on: Kensington (probably too expensive?), University Heights, Normal Heights, North Park. Is there anywhere I'm counting out? Are there any cheaper neighborhoods nearby we could sneak in that would still be safe?

One last question - We don't consider ourselves intellectual snobs, just people who like to do an array of things and who have lots of interests. It's comforting to have the university affiliation for a network, especially at first, but I've heard even natives bemoan the lack of culture in SD. My impression is just that it probably exists, but you need to look for it. Can anyone speak to this?

I'm a little scared about making the switch from a serious urban environment, and also away from my native New Yorkers, in terms of attitude and personality, but I'm happy to get away from the competitive, money and status obsessed lifestyle of Manhattan.

I know this topic comes up a lot so thanks in advance!
I am a Manhattanite and my wife is from NJ. Yes Manhattan is IMHO, radically different than it was when I was growing up in the 80s. People just dont understand.
Its also changed so much in many ways and lost a lot of its grittiness and balls. You wont find that edginess here by a long shot, but you will find other amazingly great things.

My wife is Irish Catholic so I am sure you know all the stereotypes that go with that being from the northeast lol
But we also have old school financial values and sensibility which I am not sure is something will have a, easy time relating to out here. IN other words with your income level, dont be surprised to hear people wondering why you are looking at ONLY 300k for a home.
Its not uncommon to meet people totally over leveraged to the hilt with a mediocre overall job market adn quick to pull the Home Equity trigger to finance expensive toys. I am not saying it doesnt exist in NYC or anywhere else, but its something I noticed. That passive zip code hierarchy.

Safe here is TOTALLY different than the urban environs out there. But affordable, especially for buying a SFH here generally means dumpy looking and run down, but not necessarily unsafe. We dont really have ghettos here by that NYC or bug city definition, though you will hear people say some areas are 'ghetto' which I can totally understand.

What is great about SD is that renting can be a dream. You can live in many many areas that you would want to be in where stuff is happening. Its a great option if you know that you will be here for the short term and just go baller.
But if you are sensible and looking to stay for long term, dont have kids to worry about yet, SD real estate is worth every penny.
We own two properties in SoCal. In hindsight we bought at the bottom of the market downturn and its amazing how much prices have gone up in comps.

I think its important to explore out here. There tons of little nooks and crannies spread out all over the place here. There is so much to do here which our amazing freeway system allows, that weekends or time off to venture out is virtually endless. So when you look at it that way, where you live, while important is almost secondary because getting around is a trade off of + or - 10-15 mins for the most part in a commute.

My wife and I work from home and we can go out hiking, shopping or whatever within a 20 minute drive for the most part.

Good luck

Old 04-10-2014, 04:16 PM

All I can say is I wish I could have bought 2-3 years ago. Oh well

Old 04-10-2014, 04:22 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
...Also, can you tell me anything about Rolando? It's near SDSU and looks to be cheaper. Is that a nice place to live/buy?

Thank you!
We have friends who live in Rolando. It's basically a good neighborhood, and not as costly compared to other neighborhoods. But the fact that it's close to SDSU means you run the risk of someone turning a house near you into a horribly annoying party place.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:18 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Quote:
I'm new to the site, tried to reply to you and can't see it, sorry if you get it twice!

Anyway- can I ask where (generally) you live? Why isn't owning for everyone in SD? We currently live in Manhattan, which is a true renter's city, so I understand that reasoning but I'm wondering why so for San Diego? We're comfortable (and looking forward to) the disparity btwn urban and suburban in SD but are admittedly allergic to hardcore suburbs, so we'd like to stay in the "city" if possible, if you know what i mean.

Also, can you tell me anything about Rolando? It's near SDSU and looks to be cheaper. Is that a nice place to live/buy?

Thank you!
I live in Lemon Grove. It is an area that has had a dicey past but has been improving. We get the funny look once in a while in social settings that we live here, which is quite funny. Its about as 'uncool' as it gets. Schools are mediocre and houses tend to be from an era where 1500sq ft was considered large. But its safe where we are, quiet and very down to earth if not flat out boring. My neighbors are all older, retired military etc. The nicest people you would want to have as neighbors. But this demographic is not terribly unique to Lemon Grove, its in areas like Rolando and other neighborhoods from the same era.

I say SD is a great place for renters because San Diego has a weird dichotomy. Buying anything in an area you would rent would easily be twice the cost. Paying 2k for a decent apartment near a cool area vs a mortgage of 2500-3000+ plus other home ownership costs just doesnt seem too appealing. In my experience there are many dual income households here and its not by choice. Its because they have to, to live in the best school districts etc. Its not a bad thing necessarily either.

Let me put it this way. My wife is from Red Bank NJ. Its a nice town with a cute downtown, catholic school and yuppie-type population. Its pretty easy to drive outside that area and find other towns within a 20 min drive that has more affordable housing, good schools and a train to get to Manhattan.
There is simply no parallel to that here on many levels. Schools can be hit or miss, properties mixed between dumpy and nice and commute times can be a bear for more affordable homes getting to white collar job centers.

The biggest barriers for people staying here long term is job security and housing costs. For all the great things we do have, stability for a career can be hit or miss. About the only thing that is really stable is military contracting and tourism.
Anything else is niche or fairly new and mostly related to some kind of tech whether its mobile or web or biotech.

There is really an great upside to all of it. If you can maintain a solid career here and buy a house that you can afford, in the long term its hard to beat SD real estate and lifestyle.
We have what is called Prop 13 which caps property taxes to 1% of the purchase price. I have never heard of a state that has anything like this.
So for instance in some of the older coastal areas where a post WWII bungalow was bought in the early 1980s for 100k and now worth almost a million, well unless they refinanced, they are still paying close to 1% of that purchase price they had in the 80s, which is a little over $1000/yr for property TAXES. Its insane but a really nice perk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
We have friends who live in Rolando. It's basically a good neighborhood, and not as costly compared to other neighborhoods. But the fact that it's close to SDSU means you run the risk of someone turning a house near you into a horribly annoying party place.
oddstray is spot on here. Rolando is an up and coming community within the city limits and not far from the other core neighborhoods that are more associated with being hip. I would definitely consider this area a starter home area as well. But even 300k might be tough to find something these days as people are finding it.

Being near the Uni, there may be a greater potential of having partier neighbors or a house with heavy traffic of students coming in/out.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:55 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
My wives daughter lives near the 67th street area. Killer deal. 375k for a Hollywood cabana home now worth 550k in 2 years. Area is nice close and relatively quiet...rents in the SDSU area will be at a premium due to student housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego