Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 05:17 PM

27 posts, read 42,754 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Thanks in advance for helping me out with this question. My retiree parents are in the process of buying a home:

310 Boomvang Ct, Oceanside, CA 92054 is For Sale - Zillow

It's located South of 76 (and yes I strongly advised them to go for Rancho Del Oro. I hope this area is not a high crime area.

I agree with everyone that if my parents could have afforded it certainly they would have bought in Carlsbad, but they were stretching thin with this place (an offer was accepted at 415k). I hope they didn't get ripped off or the area is sketchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 06:32 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwuguy23 View Post
Hello All,

Thanks in advance for helping me out with this question. My retiree parents are in the process of buying a home:

310 Boomvang Ct, Oceanside, CA 92054 is For Sale - Zillow

It's located South of 76 (and yes I strongly advised them to go for Rancho Del Oro. I hope this area is not a high crime area.

I agree with everyone that if my parents could have afforded it certainly they would have bought in Carlsbad, but they were stretching thin with this place (an offer was accepted at 415k). I hope they didn't get ripped off or the area is sketchy.
from what I know that area is perfectly fine. Only a few parts of ocean side I would call sketchy, and not even that really....more military rough necky interspersed with some lower income types. Those areas are certainly not my favorite places in Southern California but not exactly like the bad parts of LA either.

Typically, I don't think trouble finds you in Oceanside, you find it. I think retirees would have much less problem than someone in middle school or high school where there is more exposure to the bad/good elements.

I think that area seems just fine. I don't know it well.

there were a few parts of Vista/Oceanside that I thought were ugly and lower income looking, and the downtown area has parts that are more blue collar looking/military like.

But still, not that bad at all.

The neighborhood looks like one of the nicer areas.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:45 PM

That's a relief. I think the place is worth 415k that they spent. The neighborhood is 65% white (which no, does not matter in and of itself to me), but I was nervous that there is low income elements there. It doesn't appear to be. Sadly they are priced out of Carlsbad; I tried like crazy to get them to buy last year (oh well). We're praying that the real estate value will increase just a bit this year (3-4%).

Old 04-13-2014, 01:39 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
$345k is a good price.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:09 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
That area is not that bad at all for OC.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:02 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
$345k is a good price.
I see the house was listed at 425k and the OP said they got it for 415k

Old 04-14-2014, 04:51 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Sorry, I saw last sale price and thought it was he price they paid. It turns out someone bought it a year ago for $345k. Not a bad flip.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:00 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
I lived and worked in Vista and Oceanside for many years and am pretty familiar with both towns. I remember when Rancho del Oro was being developed, and judging by when the house was built, it was in one of the first phases. I remember when the whole area was orange groves! It is probably one of the safest neighborhoods in O'side and there ARE unsafe areas there due to gangs and crimes related to same, but that is old news. I had friends and a realtor who lived in RDO, one of my children took swimming lessons there, I remember it as being fairly pleasant and peaceful. IMO your folks should be OK.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Sorry, I saw last sale price and thought it was he price they paid. It turns out someone bought it a year ago for $345k. Not a bad flip.
Yeah kinda hurt my parents to pay that much. It was originally listed for much less 385ish i think.. they paid 415. They relisted it as 425 when my parents almost had their financing fall through.

I really hope they did not get ripped off

Old 04-17-2014, 05:39 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwuguy23 View Post
Yeah kinda hurt my parents to pay that much. It was originally listed for much less 385ish i think.. they paid 415. They relisted it as 425 when my parents almost had their financing fall through.

I really hope they did not get ripped off
How do you mean ripped off? They likely wouldnt have been able to get financing (after an appraisal) if comps for other houses sold in the area were not in the same ballpark.

I have been to that area and its just fine, by any standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego