Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 10:10 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times

Advertisements

Pretty interesting feedback that was done countywide.

Folks that i know that live there really like it, the responses outside of CV were not all too surprising with 6/10 people having a negative perception (as in unsafe.)

What do you guys think?

Survey reveals negative perception of Chula Vista - 10News.com KGTV ABC10 San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 10:37 AM

162 posts, read 212,852 times
My brother just bought a house there. I think Chula Vista is a nice city. I think it gets a bad rap like Oceanside does. I will tell you, when my husband got orders to Camp Pendleton in 2007 I was nervous about it because all the negative things I read online about it. We had only previously live in Chula Vista-no less, around 2000-2003 and did not really know much about Oceanside. Everything I read was how the gangs are all over, how the schools are awful etc etc etc. When we got there I couldn't believe how nice it was and friendly everyone was. My only complaint about the school is that they are overcrowded, but the Oceanside school district does a really nice job at trying to deal with that the best they can-being that there is a huge military community there it was not uncommon for my kid's classrooms to get a new student monthly. I never once felt unsafe around Oceanside even at night. Yes the downtown area is a little rough around the edges, but I kind of like that in a way, it looks like a true beach town. I guess what I am trying to say, that I never take anyone's word for it unless I have personal experience. All people say about the midwest is how great the educational system is here, highest graduation rates etc but in all honesty my kids were ahead academically when we moved here.

Last edited by Red Chili; 04-19-2014 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: added

Old 04-19-2014, 10:49 AM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
I remember when Chula Vista made one of the Forbe's list as "most boring cities in America" along side several Arizona cities.

In Pictures: America's 10 Most Boring Cities - Forbes

I am sure if you live in Chula Vista its fine as I don't perceive it as dangerous or seedy, but there is no real reason for me to go there. When I go to a concert at the Ampitheatre or to the water park, those places are so far removed from the core of Chula Vista that I don't really think of it as "I am going to Chula Vista." I am just going to a concert or the water park.

The J Street marina is nice and all, but I am certainly not taking my out of town guests there over Coronado or La Jolla, again, maybe if I lived in Chula Vista but I don't.

For me, Chula Vista is and continues to be the place I have to drive thru in order to get to Tijuana.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:55 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
I welcome the diversity of Chula Vista and some of the neighborhoods within the city such as Bonita and Eastlake. I am white and have no problem blending in with the Latino community. To me, it provides me the opportunity to get the Tijuana dining experience without crossing the border (though if I am in a pinch for Cuban Cigars, hello border and La Casa del Habano). Others do not feel the same way; hence the negative feelings from them. I wonder how many of these people have actually spent time in the city.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:03 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Only reason I've ever had to go there is to go to the shopping center with the Apple Store and Barnes & Noble.....however, now there is another pretty good reason to go there-Manna Korean BBQ!!

Old 04-19-2014, 02:33 PM

112 posts, read 119,971 times
I can't really speak from the perspective of someone who has lived there, but after a lot of searching, we have decided to live in the Otay Ranch area (have an offer accepted - first time buyers!!.)

I am coming from this with the perspective of someone who has lived in Memphis for the past 10 years or so, so maybe I am biased... but I wandered all around Chula Vista, La Mesa, Lemon Grove and never felt unsafe walking around by myself (I am a female.) Memphis is consistently ranked in top 10 for worst crime though - so maybe someone coming from say, Carlsbad, would have a different perspective.

I used to live in San Marcos for a while, and actually found areas in Escondido nearby that I felt more unsafe in than CV.

I am very excited to be moving to the area - will keep you all posted on before/after feelings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Pretty interesting feedback that was done countywide.

Folks that i know that live there really like it, the responses outside of CV were not all too surprising with 6/10 people having a negative perception (as in unsafe.)

What do you guys think?

Survey reveals negative perception of Chula Vista - 10News.com KGTV ABC10 San Diego

Old 04-19-2014, 03:36 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I remember when Chula Vista made one of the Forbe's list as "most boring cities in America" along side several Arizona cities.

In Pictures: America's 10 Most Boring Cities - Forbes

I am sure if you live in Chula Vista its fine as I don't perceive it as dangerous or seedy, but there is no real reason for me to go there. When I go to a concert at the Ampitheatre or to the water park, those places are so far removed from the core of Chula Vista that I don't really think of it as "I am going to Chula Vista." I am just going to a concert or the water park.

The J Street marina is nice and all, but I am certainly not taking my out of town guests there over Coronado or La Jolla, again, maybe if I lived in Chula Vista but I don't.

For me, Chula Vista is and continues to be the place I have to drive thru in order to get to Tijuana.
I forgot about Otay Lakes County Park.

County of San Diego: Otay Lakes County Park

Its a nice treat to visit and is not as crowded as say Lake Miramar up north or Lake Murray in the East. But again, if I go there I don't think of it as I am going to Chula Vista and its also not a real destination for most folks even those that live in the nearby suburbs.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:16 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Well, there are good things about Chula Vista to be sure. And I agree that it is not as bad as its rep suggests. It also has some pretty nice areas with newer homes and a few spots that offer some terrific views of downtown! It also has a decent playhouse which has brought me there a few times years ago (not sure how it is now). However, if I had kids, I would under no circumstances send my kids to public school there no matter how nice my neighborhood and views were. It tends to be more of a drive-thru kind of place as there is little draw to the area.

But National City is another matter altogether as compared to Chula Vista. I am not going there unless it is to buy a car and leave.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:23 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
I laugh when people think Chula Vista is dangerous. It is the unfamiliarity and the misinformed/racist notion that all areas near the border are bad. It represents suburbia living to the max- boring with nothing for youth to do but hang out at the mall.

The only thing I miss about CV is that it truly is a bilingual city. People there speak both languages well and there is good Mexican food everywhere, unlike other areas. You have nice restaurants for all types of Mexican food that you don't see in other areas- seafood, steak, juice and fruit establishments, breakfast places, etc... It isnt bombarded with mediocre taco shops like the rest of SD.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:45 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
I think Chula Vista is large enough and varied enough that any survey asking about the whole of Chula Vista is nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego