Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 24,131 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

First let me say that I love and appreciate diversity.

My job is relocating to San Diego and offered me a promotion if I relocate with the company. I believe this will be an amazing professional opportunity but I am a bit concerned for my children. I know San Diego is very diverse, which I love, but from the research I've done African Americans are not just the minority, but almost non existent in some areas. Where's the best place for us to live without sticking out like a sore thumb? We will be renting and are looking for areas that are family friendly, as I have a 14 year old and 4 year old.

I really just want to fit in, live comfortable and incident free. Please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 09:41 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Welcome to Southern California! Racism exists all over the world. I think San Diego is a place where we enjoy a little less of it, but certainly not none. There are many threads on this topic too, simply run a search.

In highest concentration, blacks can be found in the South Bay, East San Diego and Oceanside. Honestly, however, I say live anywhere in San Diego that YOU would like that is safe from crime, has decent schools, etc. All of this is budget based, that is to say, how much you can afford to spend.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:11 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Like LoveSouthOC said budget is really the determining factor for most of San Diego.

We have several black friends here and they live in predominantly white neighborhoods. With the exception of some older folks in older neighborhoods, its a non-issue. Well let me rephrase.... if it is an issue, its one that really isnt talked about. Its a little more live and let live out here. I honestly dont think people really give the thought the time of day.
In fact I think its almost embraced. Our close friends are a bi-racial couple with a child. They get nothing but compliments from folks on how cute the kid is (well he is.)

I have never seen a shred of what I saw in the south or northeast in regards to being 'black' and that submissive line of social segregation.

If anything, in terms of the lowest common denominator mentality, I have felt more of a presence of 'racism' with whites on latinos than AA.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:28 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
I have lived in many areas of SD and I don't feel that there is alot of racism here towards African-Americans. In general I think San Diego is pretty laid back.

Are your looking to Live in a multicultural area, or are your only concerned with safety and good schools?

Old 04-26-2014, 12:24 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
Choose a good school district and yes, your kids may be a minority as far as being black, but it will be diverse overall-kids from india, korea, china, persia, etc. The areas with the highest percentage of AA are, as mentioned, Oceanside and east san diego [central SD North Park, City Heights, etc too]. But these school districts and neighborhoods are not really the best. Basically, SD is very family friendly and very laid back and if you don't mind being a bit of a pioneer [ie, I live in one of the top districts in SD-carmel valley-and there are a handful of black kids and increasing from my observation-yeah! (:] . My kids hang out with kids that they like, not kids that look like them.

The kids mix and mingle pretty well from what I've seen, though the new immigrants (mostly from India, Korea, China, Iran] often cluster, particularly the parents. I do notice that the kids have their own way of dealing [middle school and high school is what I am currently familiar with]-they joke with each other about the stereotypes and it does seem to be their own 'non PC' [ha ha] way of mocking the whole thing. They joke about themselves-asian kids make jokes about their culture or family re: tiger mom stuff and indian kids about their stereotypes, and they jostle the white kids about their culture, too and visa versa. This among friends. Not constantly but just part of the fabric of interaction. Mainly, they want to have a good time. lol [I live in Carmel Valley currently and have also lived in central SD and Claremont area].

The well resourced districts provide amenities that can give peace of mind to parents-both in school and out-lots of options for the kids to enjoy, etc. The tradeoff [though this is true in SD in general as an AA] is that your kids will be in the minority in terms of race. True, if you look at the demographics of SD and even any metro area in CA, the overall numbers are low. [I think 6% in SD and 9% in LA county for AA].

I have also lived in other areas of SD including central SD near city heights-normal heights. It's not really more diverse than where I am now, just 'different' diverse-ie, different combination of backgrounds [including somalia, ethiopian, eritrean and many others in central SD]. My friends who happen to be AA [and they are both men and women and of different ages/backgrounds] all like SD and have not had problems. AT the same time, they by necessity mix and mingle and some have said that it's kind of lonely culturally sometimes or that they 'miss black people' [especially those who come from the east coast or the south]. So, it can be a trade off, but not necessarily negative.

Check out: Eastlake, near chula vista. Great schools, great for families, diverse. There's a past CD thread actually on this topic and an AA american woman wrote a lot about her experiences in SD and if I recall, she lives in eastlake. That thread was recently active so a search button check should bring it up. Now that I'm thinking about it, I remember a thread with the OP an AA family also looking for good schools and family friendly. Try to find that thread, too, b/c it is within the last couple of months, very recent.
Actually, here's that thread link:
African American in San Diego

Other options: La Mesa village in east SD and here are some of the top school districts in SD:
Carmel Valley, Penasquitos, Carlsbad, Scripp's Ranch, Poway, Encinitas.
Not sure what your budget is; eastlake is often recommended for families who cannot afford poway or carmel valley, etc as it's supposed to be a bit less costly but still has great schools, etc. They're all great for families, though. And all are very nice areas.
Also, not sure where you will be working, so you can map about the above areas and search for threads on them.

I think you'll enjoy SD as will your kids. It really lives up to its reputation as a 'great place for families', IMO. [I'm originally from the NE and have lived in the rocky mtn states, Nor CAL and abroad, for reference points]. I'm not of the impression that you will have 'incidents', but obviously I cannot guarantee that. It's just not really the norm here. In fact, there have been times over the years that I've lived in SD, when folks from the east coast, who happened to be AA, commented that they were surprised [usually military families relocating] at the parks at how interactive everyone was, ie, not segregated. I was actually surprised to hear what they said, b/c this is the norm here in SD. And that is what some have echoed on past threads here in CD, that they do enjoy that aspect of SD vs. the east coast. As far as 'sticking out like a sore thumb', you may feel like you do more than you actually do, if that makes sense. ie, you'll be the minority with regards to skin color, but for the most part nobody cares in SD. People are too busy figuring out their next beach BBQ or outdoor excursion, sporting event, family/friend gathering, etc to really notice or care. It's live and let live and kind of self-absorbed at the same time. LOL

Also, for parent reviews and official ratings, check out www.greatschools.org when you search the school districts. Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited by lrmsd; 04-26-2014 at 12:45 PM..

Old 04-26-2014, 03:03 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtodotherightthing View Post
Hi All,

First let me say that I love and appreciate diversity.

My job is relocating to San Diego and offered me a promotion if I relocate with the company. I believe this will be an amazing professional opportunity but I am a bit concerned for my children. I know San Diego is very diverse, which I love, but from the research I've done African Americans are not just the minority, but almost non existent in some areas. Where's the best place for us to live without sticking out like a sore thumb? We will be renting and are looking for areas that are family friendly, as I have a 14 year old and 4 year old.

I really just want to fit in, live comfortable and incident free. Please help!!!

Where are you coming from and where will you work in San Diego (as in general area)?

I lived in Tierrasanta for 3 years near Serra High School. It is a nice central clean family suburban neighborhood. Before moving there, I had the misconception that is was was white suburbia, but every afternoon when the High School let out and the kids would walk home or to the local strip mall to eat, I was always amazed at the diversity among the student body. There appeared to be a high number of hispanic kids and black kids as well. You might try looking in this neighborhood where your kids "won't stick out like a sore thumb".

Good luck friend.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:06 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
The kids mix and mingle pretty well from what I've seen, though the new immigrants (mostly from India, Korea, China, Iran] often cluster, particularly the parents. I do notice that the kids have their own way of dealing [middle school and high school is what I am currently familiar with]-they joke with each other about the stereotypes and it does seem to be their own 'non PC' [ha ha] way of mocking the whole thing. They joke about themselves-asian kids make jokes about their culture or family re: tiger mom stuff and indian kids about their stereotypes, and they jostle the white kids about their culture, too and visa versa. This among friends. Not constantly but just part of the fabric of interaction. Mainly, they want to have a good time. lol [I live in Carmel Valley currently and have also lived in central SD and Claremont area].
So true, kids and younger adults deal with diversity much better than their parents. Particularly if they all grew up or are growing up American but of various ethnic groups.

A friend of mine who went to Hoover High in City Heights said the school was pretty segregated in the 90's, but this was because many of the kids themselves were new immigrants that felt comfortable hanging out with their own.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:00 AM

2 posts, read 24,131 times
Hi Everyone,

First, thank you all for the response. I know I'm making waaaaay too much of it but I'm a single mother and I just don't want my kids to feel like they're getting the short end of the stick because I'm trying to grow my career.

My job is in the Sorrento Valley area so I've been looking in areas like Scripps Ranch (I really like) and Mira Mesa (I like a little bit but I'm not sold yet). Just about all the research I've done says Poway has the bests schools but something about that area just rubs me the wrong way (it's probably just me). My co-worker says La Mesa is excellent but I'm so worried about the commute.

My budget for rent is no more than $2100 per month, but if I can find less that would be great. My job will be taking care of my first 6 months rent so that's a blessing.

Let me just thank you all again. Trying to move across the country with the internet as my main resource of information is challenging. Sometimes I think there's way too much information, lol.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:11 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtodotherightthing View Post
Hi Everyone,

First, thank you all for the response. I know I'm making waaaaay too much of it but I'm a single mother and I just don't want my kids to feel like they're getting the short end of the stick because I'm trying to grow my career.

My job is in the Sorrento Valley area so I've been looking in areas like Scripps Ranch (I really like) and Mira Mesa (I like a little bit but I'm not sold yet). Just about all the research I've done says Poway has the bests schools but something about that area just rubs me the wrong way (it's probably just me). My co-worker says La Mesa is excellent but I'm so worried about the commute.

My budget for rent is no more than $2100 per month, but if I can find less that would be great. My job will be taking care of my first 6 months rent so that's a blessing.

Let me just thank you all again. Trying to move across the country with the internet as my main resource of information is challenging. Sometimes I think there's way too much information, lol.
You can't go wrong with Scripps Ranch. I'm AA and used to live in Chula Vista ( Otay Ranch), which is another great area but would not be a great commute to Sorrento Valley.
We too are looking to move next Summer and if we return to San Diego, we will probably focus on Eastlake area, Tierrasanta or Scripps Ranch.
Good Luck!

Old 04-28-2014, 07:28 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,099 times
Anywhere you choose based on good schools, affordability for you, and reasonable commute to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego