Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 10:47 AM

6 posts, read 5,277 times

Advertisements

Hi! I had a question about the YMCAs out there. In Charlotte, NC where we are moving from, the YMCAs are really nice gyms with lots of exercise classes, programs for the kids, and a great pool/kid pool. How are the YMCA facilities out there? We are considering the Shadowridge area of Vista--even Carlsbad or San Marcos if we can somehow afford it. What Ys are close to these areas? And are they nice/family oriented facilities? Any info. would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 11:14 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
We belong to the Y, but not up where you are looking. What I can tell you is that every Y here that we have been to is just like you described.

Each one might have a 'speciality' or two as well which might make it more unique such as soccer fields indoor/outdoor pools, kids water parks.
Our 7 year old nephew loves the one we belong to in Rancho San Diego as they have a fun water park thingy. But all the other Y's in and around San Diego proper we have been to are equally as nice in regards to facilities. From what I have heard from staff is that the Esco one is right on par.

The one you would likely go to is in Escondido.

Palomar Family YMCA

Old 04-26-2014, 12:03 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
The Encinitas YMCA is excellent-great facilities and programs. I am not familiar with Vista or Carlsbad Y's, but I imagine that they are also well resourced. Encinitas is not far from them, however. [I find the encinitas one kind of pricey, like all else in Encinitas, and I live in Carmel Valley for comparison! I've used the La Jolla one for kids' activities and it's also fantastic and actually not as pricey as Encinitas].

BTW, be sure to check the local Parks and Recreation. This area [all of SD county for the most part, including north county where you are looking] has very well resources P/R and they offer extensive programs including camps, art classes, clubs, sports programs of all types-swimming, tennis, la crosse, etc etc [different programs depending on the particular location]. And usually for less than the YMCA's in this area.

I think So CAL was one of the fore runners of activities and programs en masse for kids-LOL. You will find that the area is chock full of the lifestyle and amenities you are asking about. So much so that kids don't really know how to 'make their own fun' anymore-it's what their parents sign them up for and then they are accustomed to organized activities for everything. Still, there are beautiful facilities and great programs here, countywide. Enjoy!

Old 04-26-2014, 05:34 PM

122 posts, read 193,002 times
If you are eyeing the Shadowridge area of Vista then the Mottino Family YMCA on Mesa in Oceanside would be nearest you. Very nice complex with something for everyone! Nice park and tennis courts right there also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego