Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 01:14 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times

Advertisements

• When did you move to San Diego?

• What brought you here?

A job.

• What was your initial timeframe for how long you planned on living here?

I came here with no thought of leaving. Since I've managed to stay gainfully employed here, I'm still here.

• Has there been changes in plans since moving here?

People plan and deities laugh. But nothing that makes me think of leaving here.

• What is keeping you here? What is pushing you to move? What's your current outlook?

Keeping me here - we own our condo. Nothing pushing us to move, so we plan to stay here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 01:56 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
  1. When did you move to San Diego? --in 2003
  2. What brought you here? -- wanted a change from suburban, conservative Orange County. Originally from NY.
  3. What was your initial timeframe for how long you planned on living here? -- no time frame
  4. Has there been changes in plans since moving here? --travel for business; within the past 4 years have picked up Illinois and Florida (in addition to entire West Coast). Work from home based office and can live anywhere I want. Plan on working another 5 years.
  5. What is keeping you here?--nothing. What is pushing you to move?--looking for a more exciting, faster paced, vibrant, larger city than downtown SD where I live and am looking at Miami--spending the month of May there. Largest customer based there, closer to where I vacation (Europe and Latin America), no payroll tax, nicer ocean I can go in without needing a wetsuit year-round, I'm still an East Coaster, family still in NY. Decision entirely up to me--can move (or stay) if, where, and when I want to.

Last edited by elchevere; 04-29-2014 at 02:11 PM..

Old 04-30-2014, 06:54 AM

182 posts, read 328,146 times
  1. When did you move to San Diego? 2012
  2. What brought you here? Wanted a change, husband got a great job offer and we wanted to be near an ocean
  3. What was your initial timeframe for how long you planned on living here? At least 3 years, maybe longer if we liked it.
  4. Has there been changes in plans since moving here? We like many things about living here and are not ready to leave or looking to leave anytime soon. We ended up renting for the past 2 years and will be deciding to move to a new place or buy later this year.
  5. What is keeping you here? What is pushing you to move? What's your current outlook? The weather, good job and all the amazing things to do here are keeping us here. The number one thing that would push me to move is the cost of housing. Of course we landed in a pricey area being close to the ocean (which we now love) and work but the price you have to pay for houses around us and the size of them is disgusting compared to Colorado, where we moved from. Other factors would be the amount of people here/traffic and being closer to family. Our current outlook is to find somewhere to live that we like better than our current digs that still allows us to enjoy doing things around SD and letting some more time go by before we decide if we stay put or move back to CO.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:55 AM

745 posts, read 1,568,197 times
When did you move to San Diego? 1976

What brought you here? Husband's job transfer

What was your initial timeframe for how long you planned on living here? As long as the company kept us here.

Has there been changes in plans since moving here? The company moved us again in one year, then back again in 1 and 1/2 years. We stayed on until another transfer in 1990. We divorced then and I stayed here with the children. In 1996 I moved to Santa Barbara for work, then Sacramento, I returned here in 2008.

What is keeping you here? I like San Diego. My current spouse and I both like moderate climates. Most important, my DS and DIL and grandkids are here and my DD and SIL are in LA

What is pushing you to move? Nothing except my spouse sometimes who is the itchy feet type.

What's your current outlook? I plan on living out the rest of my life here unless my kids move. The only downside is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a 1,300 square foot home in a somewhat run down neighborhood. If the kids moved away and my spouse kept talking about moving I would be willing to listen and consider it depending on where.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:56 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyner View Post
  1. When did you move to San Diego?
  2. What brought you here?
  3. What was your initial timeframe for how long you planned on living here?
  4. Has there been changes in plans since moving here?
  5. What is keeping you here? What is pushing you to move? What's your current outlook?

I moved here in December (from Ventura, been in CA for 3 years...originally from midwest but lived all over)
This is the first move I have made that felt totally my decision, while it was also my decision (had a buisness need/case to stay in CA, also clients in SD, some project work -- I work from home but it doesn't make sense to be far away from the home office if there is no west coast need, for me there was) but anyway, I always wanted to be in CA and had already worked in Sacramento and Ventura. Ventura was great (as was SAC) but never truly lived up to the CA I had hoped I could have -- which was a little bit warmer (ventura is south but not quite as warm as SD - big difference actually now that I have been here awhile it really makes a difference! Ventura is like perpetual fall). I grew up spending a lot of time in the water and on lake michigan, I never was able to learn to surf and it was something I always wanted to do, this was a destination for me to live out a lot of the things I wish I'd been able to do as a kid or teenager. I also wanted to be near a larger population base so it was really the right place for me in terms of what I was looking for. I really felt I needed to cross SD off my list as that place I'd always wanted to live but never had the chance to move to (all my other moves have been for work, this one kind of was but I could have gone other places or stayed where I was)

I planned to stay forever, but figured I'd try it for a year and re-evaluate the decision -- is it a thing I can cross off my list now or is it a place I need to be -- do I need to move again for work or want someplace cheaper? either way I planned to get involved, meet people and lay down roots.

I haven't had a change in plans, except I am looking at other places to call home in the area (i.e. different apartment, etc.) I have also been getting calls for jobs outside the area and openings for promotions that would require a move. This requires a lot of thought for me as I don't want to move, I'm not sure if I'm 100% against it either for continued career growth and that is something I am currently struggling with. I've never put my foot down before to stay in some place and that is the decision I have to make -- it would be an easy decision if I had more money in the bank.

What keeps me here? so far, my lease overall I'm very happy with where I live, I've met some nice people and have enjoyed a lot of SD area happy hours I think there is a ton of fun stuff to do and places to go / see and I'm still doing all of that. I am actually trying to get out more as so often I get absorbed in work during the day and don't leave the house until evening, or worse on the weekend -- is it worth it for me to pay to be here if I can't figure out how to manage my schedule and I'm home all day anyway? that is a tough one and right now I just wish I could figure out how to manage my scheudle!

I think I could be happy most places (especially in CA) but there are a few places I have no interest in moving back to -- unfortunatley they are mostly places I get job offers!

Old 04-30-2014, 03:14 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
1.When did you move to San Diego? August 2002

2.What brought you here? I was tired of living in NoCal.

3.What was your initial timeframe for how long you planned on living here? I had no plans to move.

4.Has there been changes in plans since moving here? I moved to Tijuana last September to try to cut my expenses, but it's not working out, so I'm moving back to San Diego by the end of the month.

5.What is keeping you here? What is pushing you to move? What's your current outlook? I like it here, and have no plans to move anywhere else.
oh no, I read your thread last year about your move and you seemed happy! I'd be interested to hear what part of it didn't work out in TJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego