Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 03:54 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times

Advertisements

I am putting this in the SD forum since I know tenants rights vary by state, and other conditions by more cultural norms/county etc (possibly)

I have agreed to pay a certain rent in December -- prior to major construction on both my main roads which also blocks hiking trails (day AND night construction for the carlsbad pipeline). They had to know about the construction affecting this place but said nothing (and deny they knew construction would be taking place here when I signed my lease in late nov/early dec -- moved in right after Christmas)

I work from home and was very specific about finding a quiet place, I chose a top floor corner unit. I also chose it for the view, which is now of construction, tractors, open trench work...construction cones...

To add to the outside construction they have chosen this time to make major renovations to the complex, including remodelling every unit once someone moves out -- it will be great! For those who move in in 2017.

Construction started this morning on the apartment next to mine which abuts my office. All we received was a flyer a week or two ago about some of what would occur and a town meeting where we could ask questions (Which I missed or did not occur)

during the midst of the bangs and booms next door, the water was shut off (on accident I've found, as they damaged a valve) It's been perhaps 4 hours now with no water.

I talked to the manager who made excuse after excuse (I already complained a month ago about not being informed of the major construciton before I signed my lease) about how they can't control noise, and originally they said it was not a term of my lease to expect quiet and all construction is during the day so it shouldn't matter (i.e. it is legal, technically) except, well actually the construction is now at night as well.

I told them what they are doing may be legal, but its not very nice and there is things they could do while the rest of us are still paying luxury prices to live in their mess. I wrote a review on yelp as well.

I'm quite disgusted by how a large company is handling these complaints, however I know I don't *yet* have a case to break a lease or withhold rent....

how long does my water have to be off... how much noise is ok, what about at night? does it matter that they knew or didn't know ahead of time?

the renovations are totally their own choice to inconvienience the rest of us while they improve their property for people who will enjoy it in the future.

I feel there is plenty they could do for us but are using the cop out that 'your lease doesn't cover...'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 04:29 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I am putting this in the SD forum since I know tenants rights vary by state, and other conditions by more cultural norms/county etc (possibly)

I have agreed to pay a certain rent in December -- prior to major construction on both my main roads which also blocks hiking trails (day AND night construction for the carlsbad pipeline). They had to know about the construction affecting this place but said nothing (and deny they knew construction would be taking place here when I signed my lease in late nov/early dec -- moved in right after Christmas)

I work from home and was very specific about finding a quiet place, I chose a top floor corner unit. I also chose it for the view, which is now of construction, tractors, open trench work...construction cones...

To add to the outside construction they have chosen this time to make major renovations to the complex, including remodelling every unit once someone moves out -- it will be great! For those who move in in 2017.

Construction started this morning on the apartment next to mine which abuts my office. All we received was a flyer a week or two ago about some of what would occur and a town meeting where we could ask questions (Which I missed or did not occur)

during the midst of the bangs and booms next door, the water was shut off (on accident I've found, as they damaged a valve) It's been perhaps 4 hours now with no water.

I talked to the manager who made excuse after excuse (I already complained a month ago about not being informed of the major construciton before I signed my lease) about how they can't control noise, and originally they said it was not a term of my lease to expect quiet and all construction is during the day so it shouldn't matter (i.e. it is legal, technically) except, well actually the construction is now at night as well.

I told them what they are doing may be legal, but its not very nice and there is things they could do while the rest of us are still paying luxury prices to live in their mess. I wrote a review on yelp as well.

I'm quite disgusted by how a large company is handling these complaints, however I know I don't *yet* have a case to break a lease or withhold rent....

how long does my water have to be off... how much noise is ok, what about at night? does it matter that they knew or didn't know ahead of time?

the renovations are totally their own choice to inconvienience the rest of us while they improve their property for people who will enjoy it in the future.

I feel there is plenty they could do for us but are using the cop out that 'your lease doesn't cover...'

Many years ago I used to volunteer at the San Diego County Legal Services. I don't know if they are still around in San Diego, but you could look. We provided free counseling once a week in or around Hillcrest.

THE FOLLOWING IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. I AM NOT YOUR ATTORNEY NOR SHOULD THE BELOW DISCUSSION BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE. IF YOU NEED TO SEE AN ATTORNEY, PLEASE SEE ONE. I AM NOT ADVISING YOU ON WHAT TO DO OR WHAT NOT TO DO. ANY ACTION OR INACTION ON YOUR PART MAY HAVE CONSEQUENCES. PLEASE SEE AN ATTORNEY IF NECESSARY.

For a breach of a contract to occur, one has to first look at the terms of the contract.

There are also some basic general principles in California:

You have the right to the free enjoyment of your leased property.

Noise beyond a certain level can constitute a nuisance.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 04-29-2014 at 04:44 PM..

Old 04-29-2014, 04:33 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
You might want to copy your post and put it on the Renters Forum for more advice. There are people on there that are very knowledgeable about landlord tenant problems.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:48 PM

I didn't know we had one, I may do that.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:55 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
That'll help you with the problem, you'll get lots of advice.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:27 PM

ok, I feel better after venting and putting in a bad review lol. Turns out they flooded 2 apartments today with the water...they had to turn it off to stop it. so maddening....I wonder what they will do for those tenants...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego