Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:23 PM

3 posts, read 4,709 times

Advertisements

where should I be looking?

I had a real estate agent whom I gave this exact info to and he took me to a beautiful home in the Crosby at Rancho Sante Fe. 45 minutes easy to Sea World, grrrrrr.

Is San Diego really so bad that I need a gated community? I feel like it probably isnt' but real estate agents keep pushing me towards gated communities. Why?

I know right along the coast is bad since I want a pool and it's colder there.

Given this criteria where would you be looking? I love love love 2 houses in santaluz but neither have a pool or permits for a pool, sadly..

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 11:43 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
La Jolla but it'll be a little bit more than 20. Used to live near Coral Reef Avenue. Nice area.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:34 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
I don't think it is too cold at the coast for a pool. We have a pool where I live (less than a mile or so from the ocean) in Carlsbad, while it does get chilly at night, the pools are heated...its great. Most days are plenty warm enough for a swim, with the sun shining and again, with a heated pool. Some days its not neccessary to be heated (like today...)

I don't like gated communities either. I have no idea why that is such a big thing in CA. It's not the norm where I am from, I suppose it might have something to with HOA's and neighbors having more control of their property values or something, dunno.

the other thing is houses tend to be really close together by the beach areas.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I don't think it is too cold at the coast for a pool. We have a pool where I live (less than a mile or so from the ocean) in Carlsbad, while it does get chilly at night, the pools are heated...its great. Most days are plenty warm enough for a swim, with the sun shining and again, with a heated pool. Some days its not neccessary to be heated (like today...)

I don't like gated communities either. I have no idea why that is such a big thing in CA. It's not the norm where I am from, I suppose it might have something to with HOA's and neighbors having more control of their property values or something, dunno.

the other thing is houses tend to be really close together by the beach areas.

I must be weird since I like my pool like bath water...87 or 88. It's heating now, for tomorrow. Then I like cold mixed drinks in the pool. I am a little embarrassed now.

I am a little further from the ocean than you are in Carlsbad and it is better for swimming in my opinion.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:18 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
Yeah I agree a little further inland is better for guaranteed swimming weather, but I've been surprised how much better it is here at the coast vs. Ventura. Quite a noticeable difference, you really can swim year round. I am an actual swimmer though lol. I dont hang out in the water, I move lol. I went in two weeks ago during a sudden cold snap,it had to be low 60s out and no sun plus wind. I got on the hot tub, warmed up...almost gave up but got in the water for a good 30-45 minute swim! It was dark by the time I got out and quite chilly, plus the water wasn't that warm that day since it varies depending on the cleaning schedule... I should go more often...like on a warm day!!

I really don't like people and kids at the pool though... Cold days are safer lol

Wish I had my own!!

Old 05-03-2014, 08:18 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
The real estate agent probably wanted a percentage of your entire 2 million housing budget rather than a percentage of a smaller amount.

You might use a real-estate website to find out the range of housing costs near enough to Sea World for your wants, and then ind a real estate agent to look within that (I'm guessing smaller) budget.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:27 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
The real estate agent probably wanted a percentage of your entire 2 million housing budget rather than a percentage of a smaller amount.

You might use a real-estate website to find out the range of housing costs near enough to Sea World for your wants, and then ind a real estate agent to look within that (I'm guessing smaller) budget.

Oh, that is sooooo correct. +1

That is a game played here with real estate agents. They will steer you to the properties that make them the most money. Especially in the million dollar price range. It could mean tens of thousands of dollars more to them. Even more if it is their own listing.

I concur with the advice as well. Check Zillow or some other website with a map tool.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:51 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,573,472 times
Sunset Cliffs meets most of your requirements. EZ drive to Seaworld with great ocean views too.

Here's an example of a home in Sunset Cliffs with a pool:
SDLookup.com | 1045*Sorrento*Dr - MLS# 140018297

Old 05-03-2014, 09:09 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,477 times
Are you an exec at Sea World or something? Why would someone with a 2 million budget be so hell bent on being 20 minutes from Sea World?

Old 05-03-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Yeah I agree a little further inland is better for guaranteed swimming weather, but I've been surprised how much better it is here at the coast vs. Ventura. Quite a noticeable difference, you really can swim year round. I am an actual swimmer though lol. I dont hang out in the water, I move lol. I went in two weeks ago during a sudden cold snap,it had to be low 60s out and no sun plus wind. I got on the hot tub, warmed up...almost gave up but got in the water for a good 30-45 minute swim! It was dark by the time I got out and quite chilly, plus the water wasn't that warm that day since it varies depending on the cleaning schedule... I should go more often...like on a warm day!!

I really don't like people and kids at the pool though... Cold days are safer lol

Wish I had my own!!

Ok, well I do move too, just not the entire time. I like playing volleyball, etc.

I have kids over, but they are well trained to pee outside the pool. I am an ogre about that, ewww.

Anyway, I have my own but it aint cheap in terms of money/year round work, let me tell you.

Enjoy today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego