Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 09:35 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times

Advertisements

No need to thank me for this introduction to a well-established local institution that expanded just a bit, for those who don't know. Owner is top notch, class act, community minded, to boot.
Poppa’s Fresh Fish Company: Mariscos North of the Border | A Gringo in Mexico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 10:20 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Not impressed.
Have had fresher on an fishing boat from San Diego where the Captain is locally fed and the bait is locally sourced in SD.

Yes....I am just kidding

Poppa is a staple at all the Farmers markets and one of my first introductions to some amazing local seafood in San Diego. Its GREAT that he has expanded operations and a steward for the community.

Thanks for sharing bloom

Old 05-04-2014, 11:18 AM

bloom what is your 'go to' at the bricks and mortar?

Old 05-04-2014, 02:08 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Not impressed.
Have had fresher on an fishing boat from San Diego where the Captain is locally fed and the bait is locally sourced in SD.

Yes....I am just kidding

Poppa is a staple at all the Farmers markets and one of my first introductions to some amazing local seafood in San Diego. Its GREAT that he has expanded operations and a steward for the community.

Thanks for sharing bloom
This reminds me of a story...I'll be brief.

I was on a two-day fishing trip on a Pt Loma charter boat about seven years ago and we were catching limits of Albacore. We were to the point that the crew was fishing as well because just about everyone had max'd out. The cook went out and dropped his pole in and snagged a nice twenty pound albacore. He brought the fish up, cleaned it, and cut it up into steaks. He grilled it and we were eating that tuna less than a half hour later. He made a very simple sauce out of mayonnaise, lime and wasabe and dressed it up with chopped tomatoes and cabbage. Some corn tortillas on the side.....effing awesome. The cook must have been about twenty years old and had the appearance of a outlaw biker instead of a cook, but a very talented young fellow.

For those interested in local seafood...I believe we are going to have a hell of fishing season this year and it has already started and will probably go long.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:10 PM

Fish tacos.
I don't eat shell fish.
The best pho I've had was in Boston and hasn't been replicated anywhere yet.
I never tried Uni but Poppa's would be The place to try.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Fish tacos.
I don't eat shell fish.
The best pho I've had was in Boston and hasn't been replicated anywhere yet.
I never tried Uni but Poppa's would be The place to try.
Cool.

Pho Pasteur in Boston? Used to love them. Still the best I have had as well.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:46 PM

There are several Pho Pasteurs in Boston. THE one is a more hole in wall on Washington Street, across street from malaysian restaurant penang. Chicken pho with veges (you have to ask for the veges) is fresh and bountiful. Beef bun also tops. No sense trying other pho's after that one. If you want send me link to confirm correct one.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:47 PM

poppa needs to work more on his pho, respectfully

Old 05-05-2014, 07:12 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
This reminds me of a story...I'll be brief.

I was on a two-day fishing trip on a Pt Loma charter boat about seven years ago and we were catching limits of Albacore. We were to the point that the crew was fishing as well because just about everyone had max'd out. The cook went out and dropped his pole in and snagged a nice twenty pound albacore. He brought the fish up, cleaned it, and cut it up into steaks. He grilled it and we were eating that tuna less than a half hour later. He made a very simple sauce out of mayonnaise, lime and wasabe and dressed it up with chopped tomatoes and cabbage. Some corn tortillas on the side.....effing awesome. The cook must have been about twenty years old and had the appearance of a outlaw biker instead of a cook, but a very talented young fellow.

For those interested in local seafood...I believe we are going to have a hell of fishing season this year and it has already started and will probably go long.
Confirmed BF at 90 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego