Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 02:00 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,068,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
Then he/she needs to find a top notch realtor since money is no object. True right??
Um, what I read that the OP posted is budget is quite 'flexible', not 'I want to buy a home and need a realtor and money is no object'.

Projection much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 02:06 PM

OP: Depending on what your lifestyle/interests are, there are other areas of SD that have people in your age. Demographics of your age group will vary based on lifesetyle.
Examples of places where you may find suitable lifestyle/demographic:
Encinitas is a great city, no highrises.
South Park is a really nice enclave, as is Kensington [they are older, established SD neighborhoods not far from downtown. Walkable, lots of great shops and restaurants, plus adjacent/nearby to Hillcrest/North Park/University Heights/Normal Heights, all of which have cafes/restaurants, local biz, etc]
North Coast: Del Mar also has some young professionals/wealthy, as does Solana Beach [both near Encinitias].
Pacific Beach skews heavily party/tattoo/bars and young people, but North PB [Birdrock area near La Jolla] suits your demographic somewhat, too and it's really nice there.

Note: SD's downtown/littly italy/east village is quite small geographically and was only gentrified in the last 15 years. Prior to that, people didn't really go there. And it's still not a major spot for commuting or visiting/living, save for tourists and those who now live there. Little Italy has a cool farmer's market though. Also note: SD is a series of spread out suburbs, not a high rise centric city with an expansive skyline. There is *some* skyline but it's nothing like Chicago or NYC or even SF. They just feature that little skyline in many SD pictures-partly b/c the views of the bay next to it are dramatic/attractive. SD has 1.5 million in the city and 3.5 in the county. It's not densely populated downtown, relative to larger metros. AS someone else mentioned, noise can be an issue downtown. Also consider the flight path to the airport, affecting parts of little italy, mission hills, etc., if this would be an issue for you. Downtown has significant homeless population as well.

I don't know if you've already visited and decided on downtown, just wanted to give additional thoughts, since SD is also historically and largely a beach town, with numerous enclaves and coastal communities, each with their own personalities, too.

I'm not familiar with any of the downtown/east village complexes, so I cannot give suggestions there.

Best of luck w/your move and enjoy SD!

Old 05-14-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
Then he/she needs to find a top notch realtor since money is no object. True right??
You know what, I've seen posters [mainly on the SF forum but also in places like CO who want to build their mountain dream home, etc] asking about million dollar properties. I found that a little off putting-why not just find a realtor. And sometimes I've seen people lamenting having to downsize from TX to move to CA, still making what most would consider a lot of $$$ and a large/nice home. I find those somewhat of an anomaly for the CD moving forums. But the OP is just asking a pretty regular question. He/she didn't even post budget at first, just wanted advice for what's 'nice' to even know where to begin looking in SD. I'd hardly consider that 'bragging'. geesh. Anyway, CD forum is for anyone looking for moving/relocation/city advice. Not just those within a certain income bracket.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:42 PM

257 posts, read 491,369 times
I think if he wants to live in a high rise, it's pretty much only available in gas lamp/little Italy/east village from what I've seen, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego