Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 07:18 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Re:rgb~

WHAT????????

What planet were you on during the death and destruction of the outbreak of 80 tornadoes THIS SPRING????

And you are so full of it,claiming that it is 'rare' for them to hit at night! Our tornado warnings here in north central Ohio did not expire until after 9pm!

April 27–30, 2014 tornado outbreak

April 27

Tornado Outbreak Likely Deadliest Since 1974

Update 3:05 p.m. EDT: The death toll from the southern storms is now at least 250, reported the Associated Press.

Southern tornadoes are so deadly because they are hard to see, such as last night's reported nighttime tornadoes in North Georgia and the rain-cloaked tornadoes in Tuscaloosa and Birmingham, Ala. Mobile homes, which are easily flipped or crushed, are common in the region, potentially adding to the high death toll.

Tornado Outbreak Likely Deadliest Since 1974 - Technology & science - Science - OurAmazingPlanet | NBC News
You know what I'm talking about. If you are in a big City and one hits you are toast if you have no storm cellar.

As far as the numbers of them at night, how can someone count what they can't see or detect? Especially from google. At best any number is a wild guess. They are most likely only counting those with documented damage and most tornadoes do little damage because they come down in the sticks. It's the ones that hit towns that make headlines.

I lived in it for 25 years. That's all the documentation I need. Loss of human life is not the only damage they do. You know when one is going by because it sounds like a high speed train. A farmer isn't going to call the weather bureau to report a funnel or tornado every time they think one is around. Farmers just accept it even though they are truly terrifying.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 05-22-2014 at 07:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 07:55 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
Relax people its ok to have a difference of opinion, but I didn't post random things from google. Its from Tom Skilling and from research done by the guy who created the F scale. It is extremely rare to have a tornado after midnight and much more common to have them late afternoon and up to sunset. 9pm is sunset in the summer in many places. And yes tornadoes are still recorded even when out in the sticks. Tornadoes rarely happen without warning ... And without sevre weather warnings.

I just don't care for misleading info on city data. Its fine if you don't like them and prefer your chances in SD but Ohio has bigger problems than tornadoes.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:00 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer
Quote:
As far as the numbers of them at night, how can someone count what they can't see or detect? Especially from google. At best any number is a wild guess. They are most likely only counting those with documented damage and most tornadoes do little damage because they come down in the sticks. It's the ones that hit towns that make headlines.
Uhh never heard of Doppler radar?

Old 05-22-2014, 08:07 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Relax people its ok to have a difference of opinion, but I didn't post random things from google. Its from Tom Skilling and from research done by the guy who created the F scale. It is extremely rare to have a tornado after midnight and much more common to have them late afternoon and up to sunset. 9pm is sunset in the summer in many places. And yes tornadoes are still recorded even when out in the sticks. Tornadoes rarely happen without warning ... And without sevre weather warnings.

I just don't care for misleading info on city data. Its fine if you don't like them and prefer your chances in SD but Ohio has bigger problems than tornadoes.

I have lived in OH since 1968 and many,many,many of our tornado warnings did not expire until midnight or later. I know,because I will not go to bed until it does expire! I also remember tornadoes that struck while people were sleeping,so either you are wrongly relaying the info,or your source is BS!

Old 05-22-2014, 08:21 AM

147 posts, read 217,316 times
I honestly would take fire and earthquakes over tornados anyday. I live here in the Midwest right now and the tornados and storms scare the hell out of me, because it seems most of them happen in the middle of the night.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:12 AM

782 posts, read 858,375 times
I'm a New Yorker who's in the final stages of planning my move to SD after spending some time there...

I've researched the wildfire history for San Diego county...including the Cedar fire, after last week's events.

While its somewhat concerning, it has definitely NOT deterred me from going. Here in NYC, we always though we were disaster-proof, and hurricane Sandy changed that two years ago, my neighbors lost houses and cars to flooding in an what was an unprecedented event. Its important to understand that no place is safe from SOME type of natural disaster, you cannot live your life in fear.

My only precaution will be to avoid certain more fire-prone areas that I previously considered moving to.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer

Uhh never heard of Doppler radar?
I think Doppler can detect down to a mesocyclone but cannot detect tornadoes, only the weather possible for them. I wish they could detect tornadoes, I might still live there.

One summer we spent about 20 nights in the storm cellar. Cold, damp with lots of bugs and salamanders. Not exactly a good night sleep.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:13 AM

A watch or warning may expire after midnight ...that doesn't mean they happen a lot.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:59 AM

Perfect timing. My Cuz got their game cancelled in Scottsbluff last night due to .....yep tornado.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:02 PM

Ok...did anyone die? Damage? Big storms in Chicago too...no actual tornadoes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego