Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 10:15 PM

132 posts, read 495,073 times

Advertisements

Stay classy San Diego!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 08:49 PM

132 posts, read 495,073 times
I'm becoming less and less of a fan of Yelp. Too many businesses pad their reviews. Almost every barber in all of San Diego has between 4 and 5 stars. In reality only 1 out of 10 of those place deserve 4 stars.

But after trying out dozens of barbers, I think I might have found the best barber in all of San Diego. There's an older Asian man working at Primetime Barbershop on Mira Mesa Blvd. This guy is like an artist or something. He takes what seems like an hour to cut your hair and he does an absolutely perfect job. Every single individual hair is cut to the correct millimeter. He does a perfect shadow fade and it tapers to the top seamlessly, all for a mere $13.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:59 PM

3,693 posts, read 1,346,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
I'm very picky with haircuts. I like a perfectly clippered side and back with no loose hairs (below the crown threshold), a perfectly vertical fade to the top and the top cut with every hair exactly the same length (about 3"), except where it meets the fade of course. I want every single hair to be the exactly correct length on my head.

Can someone recommend a good barber? I'm willing to pay up to $50 per haircut. I've been to about a half dozen barbers here with no luck (sloppy jobs, lots of loose hairs with the wrong length, to patches of hair cut way too short or too long). I expect a good barber to take about 30 minutes cutting my hair.
Oh geez around 1998 when I lost a job and money got tight I picked up a set of wahl clippers for about $20 (the same your barber uses) and havent looked back. Ive cut my own hair in pitch black darkness with no mirror even. You just swap the combs as you go from top down.
My friend has a flowbee and swears by it. Its more accurate for longer hair but harder to get the shorter parts on the side.

In those 17 years I estimate I pocketed $20 x 18 x 17.

At $50 ea?

Old 03-06-2015, 02:07 PM

Gay hairstylists are probably more likely, by virtue of interest or passion, to provide the attention to detail sought. In the same way people seek them for interior design. They simply love what they do so should be expected to be damn good at it.
Who doesnt expect a geek to be good at fixing computers? They probably did it for a hobby before they did it for a living.

Last edited by Marka; 06-15-2015 at 04:52 AM.. Reason: removed orphaned quote

Old 03-06-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
I'm becoming less and less of a fan of Yelp. Too many businesses pad their reviews. Almost every barber in all of San Diego has between 4 and 5 stars. In reality only 1 out of 10 of those place deserve 4 stars.

But after trying out dozens of barbers, I think I might have found the best barber in all of San Diego. There's an older Asian man working at Primetime Barbershop on Mira Mesa Blvd. This guy is like an artist or something. He takes what seems like an hour to cut your hair and he does an absolutely perfect job. Every single individual hair is cut to the correct millimeter. He does a perfect shadow fade and it tapers to the top seamlessly, all for a mere $13.
Yelps been getting good at filtering reviews from people with just a review or two.
Its about all you got so its better than having no input at all. I have over 50 reviews would have a lot more if I thought to use it more. I also do a lot of amazon reviews and consider that priceless for avoiding shoddy products.

Can either be gamed? Sure but if youre savvy you can spot it.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:07 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,064,128 times
Pacific Beach by the Crystal Pier there's a good barber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego