Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 01:49 PM

27 posts, read 42,738 times

Advertisements

I'm a bit nervous about our purchase in Oceanside. We bought this home:

zillow has it priced out at 386k. We paid 415 in an intense bidding war. I wonder if we got ripped off. There is virtually no backyard of any kind, and it's only about 1600 sq feet. There is no HOA in the neighborhood; but the neighborhood seems very very clean from what I can see.

The house is just west of El Camino and Mesa Drive. Is this area getting worse? Is there a crime problem we should worry about? We debated very heavily between this home and a home in Fallbrook; I am just having jitters about the investment we made.

Were we ripped off?

Last edited by nwuguy23; 06-04-2014 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 02:08 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times
...You should reconsider whether it is safe to publicly post your address on line.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:14 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,138,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
...You should reconsider whether it is safe to publicly post your address on line.
Agreed. Remove it if you still can.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:17 PM

864 posts, read 799,581 times
248 a sqft doesnt seem like a ripoff for that neighborhood. You did ok.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:22 PM

That's a zero backyard? Omg I'm not sure where OP is from but up here in OC that' s not a tiny backyard!

Holy cow.That looks unbelievably inexpensive for a house that size!

Old 06-04-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
That's a zero backyard? Omg I'm not sure where OP is from but up here in OC that' s not a tiny backyard!

Holy cow.That looks unbelievably inexpensive for a house that size!

Haha, I am from the Midwest... we are used to lots in the 1/2 acre size as a minimum out here. I know, I know I have to adjust my mindset.

So you think I didn't get a bad deal? Also, our addresses are public record, why should I be afraid of it being posted, it's already on zillow etc now as it is?

Is crime an issue in this area? Further, I am worried home values will drop due to Oceanside's questionable appreciation values?

Old 06-04-2014, 02:52 PM

300 posts, read 329,305 times
Buyers remorse?

Well, obviously you liked the home and the area enough to make an offer...or multiple offers. As to the area getting worse, all areas are getting worse, so it's a wash. We have a larger and larger population, and more and more criminals. There's a major jail within five miles or so of your house, and that has a definite effect.

The specific area you're in doesn't seem to be that bad. You might want to look on the crime reports map to see what's happened in your area. Personally, I would have opted for Fallbrook, but then again I hate being in close proximity to people.

Fallbrook has issues too, of course.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:57 PM

Czechsix: I figured that the area has cooler weather due to being not too far from the Ocean. Yes, I suppose you could call it buyers remorse to some degree? Two years ago I was looking at a ranchette in Bonsall for 350 on triple crown (great great area); coulda woulda shoulda!

I am petrified of the area becoming worse and my investment losing value instead of gaining value. I guess that is an answer no one can give me.

At a minimum I hope I just break even when I sell 10-20 yrs from now, I hope I won't lose on this investment. The jail being 5 miles away doesn't terrify me; that happens. I am worried about white flight setting in and Oceanside being abandoned to criminal elements.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:04 PM

300 posts, read 329,305 times
You'll definitely have cooler weather. I'm about 7 miles inland from you, and have at least a 10 degree higher average.

As to the area becoming worse, it's cyclic. I can tell you it's much better in some ways than twenty or thirty years ago. There are definitely neighborhoods in O'side that are gang rich, and there is some spill over occasionally. Luckily (?) that spillover is usually in more public areas like parks, and not in neighborhoods that they don't have a toe hold in.

I wouldn't worry about "white flight", Oceanside will always have a coastal California panache and attraction. There are too many well connected retirees and workers to put up with too much crap.

What I can definitely foretell though, is an ever increasing local government intrusion, but that's the price you're going to pay by living in a densely populated area.

IAC, welcome aboard and enjoy the weather. If you see a guy in a large, white F350 with a shell on it, please don't cut me off, ok?

Old 06-04-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwuguy23 View Post
Czechsix: I figured that the area has cooler weather due to being not too far from the Ocean. Yes, I suppose you could call it buyers remorse to some degree? Two years ago I was looking at a ranchette in Bonsall for 350 on triple crown (great great area); coulda woulda shoulda!

I am petrified of the area becoming worse and my investment losing value instead of gaining value. I guess that is an answer no one can give me.

At a minimum I hope I just break even when I sell 10-20 yrs from now, I hope I won't lose on this investment. The jail being 5 miles away doesn't terrify me; that happens. I am worried about white flight setting in and Oceanside being abandoned to criminal elements.
Stop worrying. You can easily rent that out for a decent amount with a preference towards military families since they... always get paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego