Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 01:54 PM

62 posts, read 108,146 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I will keep this short. My GF and I are relocating to SD Aug 1st. I have recently left my corporate job and am now self employed and she is a hair dresser and restaurant server; she has not secured employment yet in SD. We have well over a years worth of living expenses saved up however I believe it will be near impossible to find a decent home until we have actual jobs. Therefore, we are planning on finding a temporary housing solution or extended stay until we can find jobs (I will also find a job for the sake of securing housing). My questions are these:

Can i get some recommendations on extended stay options that are clean, safe, and affordable? Preferably also that they allow cats, as sneaking them in would be less than ideal. Would like to keep it under $300 a week.

Also, after much searching we have narrowed our target living areas to these (listed as highest desire first): Pacific beach, Mission hills, University Heights, North park, Clairemont. Thoughts on these areas for couple late 20's wanting a small house w/garage in safe neighborhood and like to go out on weekends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 06:45 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,684,470 times
You're not going to get any short-term, temporary or extended stay housing in SD area for $300/wk. Cats or no cats. Try $100/day -- and I'm not sure even that it would be "clean and safe".

Old 06-12-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
You're not going to get any short-term, temporary or extended stay housing in SD area for $300/wk. Cats or no cats. Try $100/day -- and I'm not sure even that it would be "clean and safe".
Ummm well you are wrong. $100/day? LOL, i have no idea where you are getting your numbers but maybe you should actually go look and see what prices actually are before you reply with false information on here in case people in the future come looking for the same question. I have already secured Best Western Lamplighter Inn @$400/week taxes included and thats a VERY nice place but I would like to get under $300/week which i have found plenty on CL. I was hoping someone knew of something that wasnt on CL. I also found all of the "hitching post" extended stays all for under $300/week however I would like to find something maybe a little better than those. Thanks for trying but you sir are WAY OFF.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:41 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,296,394 times
My friend and I stayed at this one in PB last fall. I'm sure you've seen it on CL...

Furnished studio rental four blocks from the beach

Our room looked nothing like that. Not nearly as nice. It's listing for $350 per week but that fluctuates. We rented in October for $289 per week.

It was "ok". The windows were beat up and couldn't shut all the way. No AC. It's coastal SD though so for me thats no big deal. You'll want to Lysol and wash the bedding (laundromat across the street). Everything worked fine...Toliet, shower, sink, fridge, stovetop. The fridge is small. Can't keep much in there. The locks on the door were kind of iffy.

Free wifi. They'll give you the password.

It's more of a vacation place as opposed to an extended stay. Remember, in CA you can only stay in one place for 29 days cuz on day 30 that becomes your legal residence. 99.9% sure of that but check it out.

Location was perfect. In the middle of all the action. I'm a heavy sleeper though sooooo.

Never saw a bug. It was pretty clean. Trust me, I look EVERYWHERE.

Safety...it's PB so lock stuff up cuz petty crap will happen. SD is so freakishly safe though and this area was never an issue.

I'm pretty sure the beach directly west of there is all surfers. Local rule about the pier being the the dividing line between surfers and regular beach goers but the surfers were everywhere.

There's an Albertsons within walking distance.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
My friend and I stayed at this one in PB last fall. I'm sure you've seen it on CL...

Furnished studio rental four blocks from the beach

Our room looked nothing like that. Not nearly as nice. It's listing for $350 per week but that fluctuates. We rented in October for $289 per week.

It was "ok". The windows were beat up and couldn't shut all the way. No AC. It's coastal SD though so for me thats no big deal. You'll want to Lysol and wash the bedding (laundromat across the street). Everything worked fine...Toliet, shower, sink, fridge, stovetop. The fridge is small. Can't keep much in there. The locks on the door were kind of iffy.

Free wifi. They'll give you the password.

It's more of a vacation place as opposed to an extended stay. Remember, in CA you can only stay in one place for 29 days cuz on day 30 that becomes your legal residence. 99.9% sure of that but check it out.

Location was perfect. In the middle of all the action. I'm a heavy sleeper though sooooo.

Never saw a bug. It was pretty clean. Trust me, I look EVERYWHERE.

Safety...it's PB so lock stuff up cuz petty crap will happen. SD is so freakishly safe though and this area was never an issue.

I'm pretty sure the beach directly west of there is all surfers. Local rule about the pier being the the dividing line between surfers and regular beach goers but the surfers were everywhere.

There's an Albertsons within walking distance.
Thanks, i did see that one. I figured with tax it was as much as the BW deal I already have reserved. Ill give them a call though thanks.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:34 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,296,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdrax View Post
Thanks, i did see that one. I figured with tax it was as much as the BW deal I already have reserved. Ill give them a call though thanks.
I'd lean toward the BW deal if money is the same. It's location sucks compared to this mom & pop in PB (amazing location...can see the ocean from the window of our room) but I'm guessing it would be nicer from checking out the pics of the BW.

Not to sound too much like a sexist (cuz your gf could be a country girl who wrestles bears ) but we were two guys who spent zero time in the room. A female may consider the conditions a little too meager/primitive especially if you're going to be there for more than a week.

Those pics didn't match up with my room...like I said. I didn't walk into a land of roaches but that must be the showroom model in the pics.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:17 AM

34 posts, read 31,371 times
I am in the same situation as you. I am willing to pay up to about 500 a week but I check out the best western lamp lighter inn and I can't find it for anywhere near 400. Can I ask where you found that deal everything I see is about 140 a night

Old 06-13-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindguitar View Post
I am in the same situation as you. I am willing to pay up to about 500 a week but I check out the best western lamp lighter inn and I can't find it for anywhere near 400. Can I ask where you found that deal everything I see is about 140 a night
I had called and was told that price over the phone. Someone had recommended it to me.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:38 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,684,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdrax View Post
I had called and was told that price over the phone. Someone had recommended it to me.
You had better call again. This doesn't sound right at all. Especially not in summer.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
You had better call again. This doesn't sound right at all. Especially not in summer.
I have email confirmation from the GM, but thanks for your concern.

Must feel ****ty to keep having people prove you wrong huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: