Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 02:09 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unspeakable View Post
Its San Diego, not San Francisco. Southern California cost of living is within the income of most individuals. Also doesn't sound like OP is trying to stay in the finer parts of San Diego either.
San Diego COL is 25% over the average COL in The US. The average income in The US is $51,000. (OP's average income is, at best, $33,600 -- not even the median income.) Which means that if an individual is making $50,000 a year in the 'average' city (wherever that is -- I don't know LOL), he needs to make at least $62,500 in SD (which is 25% OVER the average) to maintain his current standard of living.

Doesn't sound that "most individuals" can afford to live in SD. If most individuals could afford to live there, SD would a lot more crowded (than it already is).

Now I do realize these are government stats and we all know about government stats. But I would certainly err on the side of caution when it comes to living in SD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 02:32 PM

53 posts, read 69,008 times
Don't fool yourself. If you never looked for low income housing in Southern California then you certainly would not know its doable. OP will have no problem finding rent for 800 - 1200 in the area. Granted it will not be the finer parts of the city unless it is a building that unfortunately has an income cap.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:49 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
Based on what info? Personal experience or statistical?
News. And reports (KPBS comes to mind, I don't think they're the only ones) about what they're trying to do to correct it.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 922 times
Can I step in and ask a few questions about San Diego as well? It sounds like many of you can help me and probably C will get a few answers for her questions too.

We are a young family living in UK and we are looking at moving to San Diego in September/October this year. We are looking for a good neighbourhood, with good amenities, community feeling and near a Waldorf school preferably. I looked at Waldorf school in Encinitas and read a bit about that area and it seems to suits us really well. We love surfing, nature, good food (by that I mean cooking with natural ingredients). We have 2 young children, a 4 yrs old girl and a 16 months old boy and we really want to make sure that we are in an open-minded, relaxed place where we can all settle and make friends. My husband is French and I am Portuguese and we speak the 3 languages at home so would be great to live in a place where there is diversity. It is overwhelming because although we have been in UK for 10 years, US is huge and I am a little scared that it will be difficult to have the community feeling that we have where we live at the moment. On the other side, I just cannot wait to live in the sun 365 days a year!
Many thanks in advance for all your help.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:49 AM

192 posts, read 251,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriela2010 View Post
Can I step in and ask a few questions about San Diego as well? It sounds like many of you can help me and probably C will get a few answers for her questions too.

We are a young family living in UK and we are looking at moving to San Diego in September/October this year. We are looking for a good neighbourhood, with good amenities, community feeling and near a Waldorf school preferably. I looked at Waldorf school in Encinitas and read a bit about that area and it seems to suits us really well. We love surfing, nature, good food (by that I mean cooking with natural ingredients). We have 2 young children, a 4 yrs old girl and a 16 months old boy and we really want to make sure that we are in an open-minded, relaxed place where we can all settle and make friends. My husband is French and I am Portuguese and we speak the 3 languages at home so would be great to live in a place where there is diversity. It is overwhelming because although we have been in UK for 10 years, US is huge and I am a little scared that it will be difficult to have the community feeling that we have where we live at the moment. On the other side, I just cannot wait to live in the sun 365 days a year!
You should start a new thread...

Old 06-16-2014, 11:32 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times
Quote:

Living in sun, 365 days out of the year, is BORING.

Stay where you and visit SD a couple of times a year.

You really don't want to live in The US. Not anymore.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:26 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:

There are alot of Portuguese (Brazilian) speakers in many SD beach areas. I learned Portuguese, also know Spanish and of course English. San Diego is pretty open to speakers of other languages.

I think you would like Encinitas if you want that community feel. There are other beach communities such as Ocean Beach( a little more hippie) that you may like as well.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:09 AM

4 posts, read 4,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
San Diego COL is 25% over the average COL in The US. The average income in The US is $51,000. (OP's average income is, at best, $33,600 -- not even the median income.) Which means that if an individual is making $50,000 a year in the 'average' city (wherever that is -- I don't know LOL), he needs to make at least $62,500 in SD (which is 25% OVER the average) to maintain his current standard of living.

Doesn't sound that "most individuals" can afford to live in SD. If most individuals could afford to live there, SD would a lot more crowded (than it already is).

Now I do realize these are government stats and we all know about government stats. But I would certainly err on the side of caution when it comes to living in SD.
I did the research and found out that 39% of the people living in San Diego cannot afford to live there.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:01 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,482,786 times
Well, there is always Mexico...pretty cheap to live there, might work for a truck driver...

and a lot of Americans live there very close to the border.

Last edited by Mugsy; 06-18-2014 at 10:10 PM..

Old 06-18-2014, 10:21 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
You don't need advise. You need advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego