Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:44 PM

20 posts, read 56,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
I don't know what you expect to get for 1200-1500 per month. You're not going to get a small house with a yard in places like Hillcrest or North Park or Encinitas or OB or Mission Hills. One bedroom apartments can go for more than $1500. If you expand your horizons out to places like Lakeside and Santee, you'll probably find more options. But they aren't going to be "walkable" in a sense. And they sure aren't going to be what people think of when they think San Diego.

What do you expect to get for under $1500 per month? There are certain neighborhoods where small Houses go for $3-6K per month. But if you want nice areas close to many things, that's what you'll pay. Otherwise you'll rent in places not as nice and maybe a little away from the action. Or you wind up having roommates or living in Quadplexes or 4 small little cottages on a yard that once housed one family.
Gee, thanks for your kind response.
I don't KNOW what to expect...that's why I asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 08:46 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,304,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoogler View Post
What do you mean, cottages are in complexes...like where? Can you give me an example please keep in mind that I have no idea about the neighborhoods there...that's why I'm here asking questions. And what about approximate prices?
Thanks.
Cottages are in a complex of groups, usually no more than 20 of them. Approximate rents can be found on Craigslist by putting the word "cottage" in the search box. I lived in a cottage in City Heights for 5 1/2 years. It was in a group of 14, detached, and 4' away from my neighbors. I had no yard, just some concrete on the side where I barbequed.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:47 PM

Put the word cottage and a neighborhood in the Craigslist search box, then post addresses here. Then you'll get more information.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:11 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,911,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoogler View Post
Gee, thanks for your kind response.
I don't KNOW what to expect...that's why I asked.
You do expect something, otherwise you wouldn't ask or care. You'd move to San diego find some random 3-4 strangers to live with and split the costs of rent. If you only have around $1200 a month to pay in rent, your options are going to be limited.

If you expect some 2500 square foot house with a yard, white picket fences, great neighbors and a Whole Foods and Jimbos and Ralphs and a bunch of other restaurants, bars, shops all within walking distance, you aren't going to find that in San Diego. And you sure wouldn't find it for even $3K per month, much less $1500.

Can you handle living in a small one bedroom apartment? That's what you need to expect. If so, you might find some decent enough places in walkable areas.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:50 AM

Also, when you start looking, make sure that parking is included, because depending on where you live, parking can be quite a challenge, to almost non-existent. If an ad says street parking, forget about it.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:56 AM

4 posts, read 4,354 times
I recommend looking on redfin.com, zillow.com, trulia.com and select the rent button. This will give you a better idea since they have photos, sometimes multiple. Try La Mesa 91942 or 91941. It's a bit inland but may have the feel you're looking for with somewhat of a village setting. Also 92119, 92020 and once you find a place that looks decent, pull it up on Google Maps and "walk" down the street to see if it looks suitable. Unfortunately, San Diego only has pockets of walkability but you can find it. Some of the outlying areas like Temecula and Murietta are probably much more affordable. On the plus side they are in/near wine country, on the down side much of the area was built in a short period of time so there isn't organic variety in the architecture.

Another thing to consider with this area is you don't need as much square footage. With the weather so nice, you may end up spending a great deal of time outdoors and your patio/balcony/yard can become another living space.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:34 AM

440 posts, read 533,467 times
I've looked around a lot at 3 bedroom houses with the same kind of criteria and it isn't easy but there are plenty of delightful neighborhoods that offer what you're looking for (including the escape from Chicago weather - my 10 year goal)! I agree that the yard will be the biggest issue. Other potential areas not immediately downtown include Point Loma, Ocean Beach, Pacific Beach, Bay Ho, and University City (UTC). In all cases, the exact block may make a difference but all of these neighborhoods plus the ones in post #5 would fit your requirements. I checked Craigslist for 1 bedrooms under $1500 and there are several choices but do include cottages, condos, duplexes, etc. Not nice little suburban houses, unfortunately. Here are a few that are currently listed as examples just to show you what kind of housing is in your price range: Ocean Beach Cottage - Great location, 3 blocks to beach 1 Bedroom Cozy House with parking house with garage Live in Craftsman Vintage Charm South Ocean Beach House, Garage and Parking http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/4539235480.html http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/4546266806.html http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/4543943571.html http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/4517352262.html

Here's a guide to San Diego communities to give you an idea where they are and what they're like: http://www.sandiego.org/discover.aspx And this is one of the neighborhood threads mentioned above: Neighborhoods in Greater SD

Old 06-30-2014, 01:50 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,396,319 times
When people in the posts above mention "cottages" they are talking about California Bungalow Courts. These are groupings of small cottages, from 4 to 20 in number. Their rents could be within your budget. Many of these are located in neighborhoods that have trees in the parkways. However, some of them are located on busy streets such as 30th running through North Park. They were built from the 1910s through the 1940s. They usually have a central courtyard of green in the middle, and you might have a back door with a 2 to 3 foot setback. Some include garages, but not enough garages for everyone. However, these cottages were built in parts of the city which are now covered by Car2Go, the car sharing service. You could possibly ditch your car entirely. Many of these bungalow courts have been converted to condominiums because of their continued popularity. People love them as opposed to the Huffman apartment buildings which are universally loathed.

In addition to the neighborhoods previously mentioned: Hillcrest, Bankers Hill, University Heights, North Park, South Park, Golden Hill, other neighborhoods to consider are Mission Hills, Kensington, and Ocean Beach which are probably beyond your budget, and Normal Heights which should still be within your budget. Normal Heights is a dumpy neighborhood which has changed a lot in the past 10 years but still has a ways to improve. Some people are starting to look at Sherman Heights, but that may be a bridge to far.

Another option is that many houses in these neighborhoods contain granny flats to the rear of the house. These may offer you an affordable option.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:48 PM

20 posts, read 56,576 times
Well thanks everyone. I appreciate the info provided ( even though some of it came across as a bit insulting TBH."Normal Heights which should still be within your budget. Normal Heights is a dumpy neighborhood") It will be a cold day in h-e double L when I even look at anyplace like the ones you've shown me let alone live in one.
Thanks for setting me straight. I had no idea.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:57 PM

What exactly are you looking for? There's absolutely nothing wrong with the places that CatWarmer has posted. If you want luxury, try La Jolla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego