Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 11:09 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times

Advertisements

I'm not being nasty. Your expectations are way too high for your budget.

Sure, I'd like to have a small house with a yard too, and maybe a little dog to keep my cat company, but it'll never happen. I live within my means, so I have to be satisfied with a tiny one bedroom cottage with a tiny patio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 11:14 PM

20 posts, read 56,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
if you are looking for "mild" weather you can look all over the coast of ca and up into Oregon and Washington. It depends what you consider mild. I'm from Chicago and I can tell you that anything from SD to Seattle would be mild to you (though SD a little warm, Seattle a little cold, neither that extreme).

If I were you I'd look in other parts of CA like San Luis Obispo, or other small towns along the coast...and up into Oregon or maybe some parts of inland northern CA...depends how urban you want to be.

Thanks very much. I will look into SLO. I would like to be close to a city. I live in a suburb of Chicago and I like many aspects of suburban living. But there are nice neighborhoods within the city itself, too. I just don't want to live in the Midwest at all anymore.

We had 5 tornadoes all around last night. We were just lucky to have been missed. We had 85 MPH winds. It is terrifying every time the tornado sirens go off. ANd the weather is awful...hot and humid, then the winter is freezing, icy, just awful.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I'm not being nasty. Your expectations are way too high for your budget.

Sure, I'd like to have a small house with a yard too, and maybe a little dog to keep my cat company, but it'll never happen. I live within my means, so I have to be satisfied with a tiny one bedroom cottage with a tiny patio.
My expectations are not too high. Maybe for San Diego, but not in general.

I simply asked for information. I didn't EXPECT anything. I am surprised, but I'm not alone. I'm sure lots of people are shocked with prices in certain areas of the country. You don't know until you ask.

And if you read your posts, they absolutely come across as nasty.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:09 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoogler View Post

I simply asked for information. I didn't EXPECT anything. I am surprised, but I'm not alone. I'm sure lots of people are shocked with prices in certain areas of the country. You don't know until you ask.

Pot ... kettle ... black

Old 07-02-2014, 09:23 AM

I've seen this happen over and over...someone posts a perfectly normal, polite question, someone else responds in a snippy way for no apparent reason, then the OP responds asking why the heck people are being rude, followed by others jumping on the bandwagon and accusing the OP of being rude. It's ridiculous.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:39 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
I've seen this happen over and over...someone posts a perfectly normal, polite question, someone else responds in a snippy way for no apparent reason, then the OP responds asking why the heck people are being rude, followed by others jumping on the bandwagon and accusing the OP of being rude. It's ridiculous.
I've seen this happen over and over ... someone posts a perfectly normal, polite response, and the OP responds in a snippy way ...

If you can get over yourself enough to be reasonable (and even if you can't), I agree that with your wishes and budget San Diego is probably not for you, and you would more easily find what you want for your budget in Sacramento.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:46 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:
Hello,

I am looking into moving to San Diego from Chicago, sight unseen, in the next 2-3 months. I can't stand the extremes of weather here one more season.

I'm hoping there are, contrary to what some say, affordable, nice areas in San Diego.

I'd like to rent a nice, small house in a good, safe, walkable neighborhood, with tree lined streets.
I can pay about 12-1500 a month plus utilities. I have a small dog. I know that makes it more of a challenge, but I know it can be done if I find the right landlord.

I've read through many threads here, but I'm hoping for some new, well thought out info.

I am a self employed single woman, a young 60, and I want to get involved in a community, meet new people and enjoy the lovely weather.

I have lived in the suburbs of Chicago for many years and like many aspects of suburban living, but I now want to be in the city, but in a quiet, lovely neighborhood.

Please tell me I can find what I'm looking for.....

Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately nothing new is happening in San Diego right now!
Housing and rent prices are sky high, the job market sucks.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:22 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
Quote:

don't take it to heart, yes it happens here all the time...its off putting. Same happened to me when I was posting about San Diego too.

They also all told me to make sure I get a job first and that I couldn't afford to move (although I already lived in CA at the time...)

reflex.

yes, most people are shocked at the prices here I was too! But I was already in a more expensive part of CA.

don't worry about trying to talk sense into people....that's less likely than trying to find a nice place for $1500 which you most definiltey can!

if you want to rent just keep researching and look around north county locations. I pay 2260 for a "luxury" 2 bedroom with a view.

There are much better deals for something small, I've seen a lot of small cottage type rentals in Encinitas that go for pretty cheap the problem is you need to be here to snatch them up.

If you are mobile I'd suggest finding a temporary place to stay here for a couple of weeks and check it out...stay at a temp hotel or apartment, something like that and see if you like it or find anything you can reserve.

You can find rental deals all up and down the coast but it takes effort and persistence.

I am also from chicago so I understand, but I miss the thunderstorms (one of few things I truly miss) and you may not be prepared for the dryness.

Take a trip out here, drive up the coast and get a feel for the little towns along the way.

you may not like it and focus on some other areas in the SE that might be more affordable (meaning you get much more for your money)

generally speaking apartments and real estate will be a big downgrade here compared to most things yo are used to in terms of how far your money goes...its a trade off.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:25 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I've seen this happen over and over ... someone posts a perfectly normal, polite response, and the OP responds in a snippy way ...

If you can get over yourself enough to be reasonable (and even if you can't), I agree that with your wishes and budget San Diego is probably not for you, and you would more easily find what you want for your budget in Sacramento.
everyone has been pretty rude, not just one person but it would help if people stopped attacking and just let it go...

problem is Sacramento is not mild

Old 07-02-2014, 11:17 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Sacramento is milder than Chicago, but all the streets are treelined. For treelined streets, I suggest Northern California, unless the OP settles for palm trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego