Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 10,188 times

Advertisements

to mewzik guy- if you actually lived here @ escala your useless opinion would count but obviously you do not live here, because if you did, you would agree on the towing issue. people are not assigned spots here as you assume. there are 1-3 "open" spots per group of 5-6 townhomes in my section (i live in the villas). all of them are full most of the time needless to say. my only parking option is sometimes all the way down the street by the main gate. garages fit only 1 car and i do not live alone. Summit Security will fnd an reason to tow your car and kwaping wasn't exaggerating. they definitely have some deal going with the tow company when you see RESIDENTS getting towed for parking in their own driveways. f**** ridiculous. do not move here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 10,040 times
I find it quite hilarious how most people that whine and complain about Escala are renters. This isn't a rental community. We own our homes here and I have lived here since 2004. The reason this community has tough rules is because these folks who complain, they are the type of people who can't follow rules. Explain to me someone, why would you buy a home in a community where you want to be overloaded with people parking all over the place? Would that help the values of your home? Everyone gets two parking spots, it is called your garage! I am sure you don't get that in a "rental community" as one of the genius/complainers has mentioned previous. So, everyone gets two guest parking passes at the bridges of Escala, and can get as many one days passes as they would like, just go up the office and get one. If the people that don't live here put a pass on their car they can be here for 5 nights in a "guest" spot. Home owners can use their spots for a few days then have to move. So where is the issue? Can't read? Can think? Like to complain because you want the security company to know which home you live in and knock on your door at 2am because you are too lazy to know the easy rules? Give me a break! Also note the new company that runs this place, they are up at the office all day six days a week. We fired the old ones, they were useless.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:56 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkr View Post
We own our homes here and I have lived here since 2004.
Just wanted to say that I think it's a beautiful place. I just wish it weren't so auto-dependent.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:41 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,167 times
Home values at Escala have plummeted and there are endless short sales. Its okay for renters but be very very well informed if you buy there.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
Home values at Escala have plummeted and there are endless short sales. Its okay for renters but be very very well informed if you buy there.
I don't know. From what I've seen, the Villas are all still going for at least $500K. They did drop in value a couple years ago, but over the last year or so, they seem to have bottomed out.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:45 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't know. From what I've seen, the Villas are all still going for at least $500K. They did drop in value a couple years ago, but over the last year or so, they seem to have bottomed out.
Well the last one that closed in Villas was around $480K and the other neighborhoods in Escala are less. Maybe that will be around the bottom?

Old 05-08-2009, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 9,875 times
Kicking myself...

It's great that you have reached to get more information about ESCALA prior to purchasing here. My wife and I relocated her from the east coast. we immedaite feel in love witht he beautiful surrounds in the development. Loved the easy access to everything. However, this community is run by morons. The HOA is high, for nothing. It is funny to read about towings and yes you have a two car garage with all homes, but my welcoming to the neighborhood, was you can only have the movers park their truck in the neighborhood for 2 hours. So we had them unload everything into the garage. We got towed the second day we lived here ($335) no warning.

My wife and I from time to time would sit and have a glass a wine at the end of the day up near the pool area to unwind and take in some of the great SD weather. Two weeks later the board passes Escala Law and now I no longer can enjoy a glass a wine in any common areas. Like some bad rock concert they starting checking people's bags as you went to use the common areas.

We are huge dog lover's and sadly to admit the fact the had a large dog park ride her in the community was a huge selling point for us. We usually run our dog every night for exercise. The park has a tiny fenced area and a large open run. The same powers to be at ESCALA must be cat people as they have shutdown the open area and have demanded everyone put there dogs in the tiny area. Literally the area should not contain anymore than 5 dogs at a time. On a given night there may be 30 dogs. Very sad.

I'd prefer not even to get into the construction of these homes. Only 4 years old and the craftsmenship is poor at best. A sink has falling through the counter. The facet leaks at it's base (seperate sink from the first I mentioned). The plaster is breaking in the corner/seams in the walls. Our neighbor had to replace their garage door and ours sounds as if we'll need to get it replaced as well. No just the power lifter the actually door and tracking system.

Location is good true. However for the price we paid, unless you like working with a handful of power hungry, control freaks in the HOA board, look elsewhere. I hate to damage my own home value, but I'm moved to let others know.

I laugh when I read the parking issues, true you do have 2 parking spaces and you do have some parking, but think home many days in the past 3 years you had to park in your driveway due to guests, home improvement projects, storage issues (very very little inside the homes) that you might have to have your vehicle outside the garage. Here, if you do that it's gone. I never park on the streets, but if you knock on everyone's door, they'd tell you, yep they got once too.

My neighbor put a nice plant on her lower entry way. It was removed with a note, not approved by HOA. Next time there will be a fine. Fun place to live.

Final story, the current president of the HOA, came to me on the last day to enlist your name for the following year election. He begged me to sign his form. He needed one last signiture to get his name on the ballot. He said I'm the only one running! All he need was one more signiture. I asked how many did he have already. He said 5. He could get 6 people out of the hunderds who live here to sign. End of story.

If you would like to buy a house, please call me, I'd love to get out of here.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:07 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Wow, I had no idea about the HOA making life hell for people over there. I live at Stonecrest, which is off of Aero Drive and I-15 (literally over the hill from Escala), and our HOA is a bunch of tightwads too (all HOAs get power hungry, which is pathetic since it's a freaking HOA!!!), but all in all, I love living over here. It's sort of similar to Escala, but about 5 years older, not gated, a little more spacious, and more craftsman than mediterranean in architecture. We have a great clubhouse with two pools, tennis courts, walking trails, gym, spas, library, full time staff, etc. So if you're looking for something similar, check it out too. There doesn't seem to be much inventory of homes or rentals at the moment though... Anyway, I bought my place new 9 years ago and love living over here. I thought about Escala too but would probably reconsider after hearing this. Our home seems very well built here at Stonecrest, but there were several builders and ours (K Hovnanian) was later said to be the most solid.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 8,815 times
Thumbs down Towing Nightmare

Escala Nightmare!!! They will tow you with a visitors pass, unloading, whatever its crazy!!! Your friends will be scared to visit.
Beware of this community.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:22 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMark View Post
I'm curious about Escala in Mission Valley. If anyone has lived there or is very familiar with the community, I'd be interested in hearing your comments about it.

In particular, I'm wondering how bad the noise gets from Qualcomm Stadium.

Thanks.
I don't live far from there and used to have a friend who lived there. It's a nice little community, somewhat closed off from the world in a way. That means that it is quite secure. You can take a good walk around the complex (I have) without ever leaving it. It's a good walk too and a while before you get back to where you started. They have a very nice fitness center there and two nice pools. The units vary depending on where you are and the unit communities are named. I believe they have even built a tunnel that goes under Friars rd to the Costco and other shopping in Fenton Market Place.

Now, the traffic there during Charger games and some other sporting events can be an absolute nightmare and at times you may not even be able to get out of there. That's rare though, like during Superbowls when they're played there. Overall it's a nice complex and is not right on Friars as it's apartment companion complex (Portafino) sits in front of it but not right up against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego