Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,247 times

Advertisements

Alright heres the deal I know everyone and their mother wants to live the dream and live/move to California for the ideal weather and beaches. Now I can't say that I'm any different, so heres my story. I used to live in San Jose till about high school then I moved cross country to the suburbs of Washington DC for my parents work. After high school I went to college and just recently graduated (May 2014) I just landed my first "big boy" job working Marketing/Memberships at a local gym, yes I know not the most EXCITING career but I'm into fitness and helping people change their lives. Also it is not permanent. My goal is to save up money for a year and then move back to California, to San Diego actually. I love everything about it there and that is where I know I belong. Now with that being said I need some legitimate advice. I'd like to know how much money I realistically should save before moving, places to live, near the beach or not, what the job market is like, parking (I have a car). Now I wouldn't just move there with no job lined up, it's not how I do things. I just would like to get some more information about living/moving to San Diego so I cover up all of my bases! I appreciate the help and thank you for reading this novel. Please only post if you know what you're talking about and leave out the negativity my mind is already made. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 03:01 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,477 times
No offense but this sounds like another pipe dream. How do you propose you will land a job in SD from across the country? IMO you should save up 20k and move to SD with or without a job if you really want it that bad.

Thinking you are going to save 5-10k and then move with a job in hand with little/no experience isn't realistic. You have to be fully committed, save up enough resources to move and survive without a job for 6 months while you find something once you get out here. If you aren't willing to do that, then just stay put.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:12 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
Agree with GMUAlum08.
Use search feature as these issues have been asked and answered exhaustedly including recently.
The xtranormal videos on this thread are priceless and perhaps negative to some: "I want to move to San Diego" - No job, no family support, no savings, no experience but I'm still coming!

Last edited by bloom; 07-09-2014 at 03:26 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 03:19 PM

192 posts, read 251,469 times
You could join the military and then eventually request San Diego. The military would love to have you, recruitment is down and quality is too! My husband just retired from the military.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:28 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,170 times
Dude, moving to California when you're young and have no obligations/responsibilities is the absolute best time to move. Save up some money and do it. You'll probably need roommates and a couple of jobs, but if it's your dream don't let people deter you. If you had a family and major responsibilities I'd tell you to have a great job lined up first, etc., but you can live off Ramen noodles! Better to make a mistake (or not) then live with regrets.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:41 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,895 times
Better save up some serious $$$ because San Diego is crazy expensive. San Diego is very beautiful but paradise comes with a price. But it might be worth every penny.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:53 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
I don't agree with the earlier responses. The OP has already recognized that coming here without a job is a potential deal-breaker.

OP, your next best move would be to switch your job to a national chain that will allow you to transfer your job out to San Diego. This will take care of one major issue with moving here - namely having a job.

Job market here is not great. There's a lot of competition for all jobs. That's why you'd be ahead to get your self a transferrable job.

You'll pay a premium for living near the beach. And you'll want a car, which means you can drive to the beach. If I were you, I'd defer the idea of living near the beach right away, and just get yourself out here and situated. Then you can see about moving closer to the beach.

You'll still want a fair amount of savings to move here, because moving itself isn't cheap. You'll need to find a place to stay until you rent an apartment. You'll need money for deposits, when you do find an apartment. You'll need money to deal with transferring your car registration and drivers' license.

When you do find someplace to live, make sure you have a dedicated parking space because in many neighborhoods it can be difficult to find street parking.

Expect to pay at least $1200 per month in rent. You can find cheaper than that, but in sketchier areas. Depending on what your pay is like, that may meaning finding a roommate. Utility bills shouldn't be horrible, since weather is less extreme unless you find yourself far inland, so you won't be running heat or AC often (if at all).

Old 07-09-2014, 04:17 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,984 times
I'm gonna take this a different direction and not crush your dreams. If what you said ends up being accurate, and you have a job lined up, it's not that difficult. Cost of living is bad in some ways, but manageable depending on what you're willing to do. If you don't mind having roommates that's a big plus and makes things much easier. I'm in my 20s as well (almost 30) and when I had roommates in SD I paid considerably less for rent each month than I do here in Tennessee by myself right now. Your options are opened up a whole lot if you're willing to live away from the beach. Most people don't spend an awful lot of time there anyway. You said you're from San Jose and the suburban DC area. I wouldn't think there would be a big difference between SD and either of those. I could tell you the job market isn't great, but once again, I'm assuming you get a job first.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:30 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,525 times
As someone who just moved here, I will give you some observations as a newcomer.

You will definitely need access to money to get yourself settled in. Figure on a hotel (unless you have connections here) to stay until you find a place of your own. Figure on gas, which is pricey. Then first and last month rent plus security deposit. Then getting your car registered, etc.

Don't forget to figure on the expenses of getting here. Drive or fly? If you fly, shipping the car and belongings.

I say all this assuming that you will have the job when you get here.

The beach is pretty accessible, so you can save a pile of money by living away from it a bit.

With planning and having the right financial expectations to get settled, you can do it! :-)

Old 07-10-2014, 10:28 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Dude, moving to California when you're young and have no obligations/responsibilities is the absolute best time to move. Save up some money and do it. You'll probably need roommates and a couple of jobs, but if it's your dream don't let people deter you. If you had a family and major responsibilities I'd tell you to have a great job lined up first, etc., but you can live off Ramen noodles! Better to make a mistake (or not) then live with regrets.
seriously this...people make a hobby of crushing dreams here lol.

the main thing to understand is everyone has their own value system. To those who value stability and security it would be hard to understand the risk involved in a move like this.

That said you seem somewhat risk averse so its something to consider.

But, its not exactly going to ruin your life if you are a reasonably intelligent individual, you have some savings and a job...even if you fail, you can leave and go home. You are young.

It's not that expensive here if you are willing to make some concessions ...roommates, geography, drive less, watch where you buy groceries (no more mindless spending).

The only thing I regret now is not moving sooner and letting people make me scared. I already lived in CA when I moved lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego