Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 12:39 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times

Advertisements

I'm just happy to see that there are other bicyclist on this forum

If you're interested in seeing what other bike lane projects are planned for the near and far future, the link below has some good stuff.

Regional Bike Projects Introduction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 07:01 AM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
on the positive side for motorists and bicyclists, the City actually spent money and resurfaced (not, the cheaper alternative of let's fill in the pothole and kick the can down the road) part of Broadway in downtown.....anybody else notice resurfaced streets in other parts of town?
Some around Clairemont finally. What's the latest with the bond talks.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:44 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
So here's a thing - I saw two bicyclists on SR-56. Not on the bike path, on the highway itself. I caught their attention and facepalmed and pointed down to the bike path I was walking along. They very cheerfully thanked me for pointing that out and said something to the effect of, "we're not going there (eastward?) but there (northward?)". So they were there deliberately. Were they going to ride along I-15? That is blatently illegal, not to mention downright stupid. There are bike lanes and/or bike paths in every direction. So what on earth were they thinking? (They weren't even in the correct lane to take I-15.)

But then, I would not ride my bike on the Rancho Carmel Drive (northward from there) bike lane - it would almost certainly cause me to crash because it has been in wretched condition since shortly after it was created. If that's what they were protesting, there are safer ways to go about it. (Critical mass of bicyclists riding on Rancho Carmel - oh, wait. Rancho Carmel itself is a wreck and I wouldn't ride my bike on that, either.)

But guys like that are part of the reason car drives hate on bicyclists.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:01 AM

401 posts, read 444,578 times
I admire anyone who's willing to put their life on the line despite 60 years of infrastructure planning going against them, for the pure and simple joy of riding on a bike.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:29 AM

Many freeways allow riding on them. We ride to Laguna on the 8 after you clear Alpine. If they are used to doing that maybe they just didn't know.

http://www.cabobike.org/touring/freeway.htm

Old 07-02-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Many freeways allow riding on them. We ride to Laguna on the 8 after you clear Alpine. If they are used to doing that maybe they just didn't know.

http://www.cabobike.org/touring/freeway.htm
No, they absolutely knew. They said they knew. So I still don't know what that was about.

Bikes used to be OK on I-15 across Lake Hodges until they put up the footbridge.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
No, they absolutely knew. They said they knew. So I still don't know what that was about.

Bikes used to be OK on I-15 across Lake Hodges until they put up the footbridge.
They probably wanted to take an exit the bike path didn't hit. The path goes under and over many cross streets with no exit off the path.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:22 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
So here's a thing - I saw two bicyclists on SR-56. Not on the bike path, on the highway itself. I caught their attention and facepalmed and pointed down to the bike path I was walking along. They very cheerfully thanked me for pointing that out and said something to the effect of, "we're not going there (eastward?) but there (northward?)". So they were there deliberately. Were they going to ride along I-15? That is blatently illegal, not to mention downright stupid. There are bike lanes and/or bike paths in every direction. So what on earth were they thinking? (They weren't even in the correct lane to take I-15.)

But then, I would not ride my bike on the Rancho Carmel Drive (northward from there) bike lane - it would almost certainly cause me to crash because it has been in wretched condition since shortly after it was created. If that's what they were protesting, there are safer ways to go about it. (Critical mass of bicyclists riding on Rancho Carmel - oh, wait. Rancho Carmel itself is a wreck and I wouldn't ride my bike on that, either.)

But guys like that are part of the reason car drives hate on bicyclists.
So seeing 2 bicyclists riding on the freeway shoulder is enough to make you hate on bicyclists? If you were driving on the freeway past them, they'd be out of your sight within 5 seconds. And you can ride along the freeway shoulder unless there is sign that says otherwise. Would I do it? Heck no, but they don't bother me.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
So seeing 2 bicyclists riding on the freeway shoulder is enough to make you hate on bicyclists? If you were driving on the freeway past them, they'd be out of your sight within 5 seconds. And you can ride along the freeway shoulder unless there is sign that says otherwise. Would I do it? Heck no, but they don't bother me.
They weren't on the shoulder. They were in the fast lane, one behind and one next to a car that was also in that lane.

They were there deliberately, I'm assuming trying to prove some point. What point that might be totally escapes me. If they were on a highway that had no safe bicycle alternative, I could understand and, as it happens, agree that cars need to share the highway with bicycles. SR-56 does not fit that description - it has a safe, separate bike path along most of its length and bike lanes at the shoulders for a short strretch at the eastern end. There may be no signs explicitly forbidding bicyclists on SR-56 itself because, duh!

Old 07-03-2016, 09:27 AM

Oh, I didn't read where you said they were actually in a car lane. Then they were obviously trying to prove something. Maybe testing helmets to see if they would survive a hit from a car going 65.

Darwin contestants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego