U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 11:25 AM

7,125 posts, read 18,099,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I guess I just haven't come across any Filipinos who don't speak English here in the US. LOL - I must be a very isolated Filipina!
Most are bilingual, as far as I can tell. Seems to me the majority of Filipinos in SD immigrated years ago. Most of the older Filipino-American neighborhoods are probably slowly being displaced by Mexican-Americans these days. A lot have moved into the newer areas of Chula Vista from National City. Same thing with the Vietnamese, who have slowly but surely moving from the east side of City Heights to Linda Vista and now Mira Mesa and North County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 09:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,733 times
Default MCRD San Diego

I will be moving to San Diego next year. My family will be looking for an Apartment/House to live in close to MCRD San Diego. I will be going there to be a Drill Instructor so I wont have much time with the Fam. I am wanting to get info on where to stay that will be affordable and at the same time have plenty of things to do for the family. Also it would help if it was a low crime area. We are from Waco,Texas and have lived in some pretty crappy neighborhoods before I joined the Corps, but since we had our son we look for the best place to live. We are really looking foward to living in California being that we have only been stationed in North Carolina and Okinawa Japan. Can anyone please help me out?????

Old 02-04-2008, 09:22 PM

35 posts, read 85,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl6432 View Post
I will be moving to San Diego next year. My family will be looking for an Apartment/House to live in close to MCRD San Diego. I will be going there to be a Drill Instructor so I wont have much time with the Fam. I am wanting to get info on where to stay that will be affordable and at the same time have plenty of things to do for the family. Also it would help if it was a low crime area. We are from Waco,Texas and have lived in some pretty crappy neighborhoods before I joined the Corps, but since we had our son we look for the best place to live. We are really looking foward to living in California being that we have only been stationed in North Carolina and Okinawa Japan. Can anyone please help me out?????
Would you consider military housing? The military housing in Liberty Station, Point Loma 92106 seems very nice. I live in the adjacent civilian neighborhood, and it is very safe, upscale, and close to every amenity you could imagine. It is extremely family oriented. There are parks, grocery, restaurants, and the bay within walking distance. Not too often that military housing co-exists with million dollar homes--I think Liberty Station may be one of the only--a far cry from the crappy neighborhoods you have described.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,615 times
Default Pros & Cons of Moving to San Diego

Hello,

I currently live in Westchester County, NY and I am considering a move to Southern California by the end of 2009. I've read up on San Diego and so far I like what I see, but I definately want to come out and visit for a few days.

Heres a little about myself:

*23 years old w/ a Bachelors degree in International Business
*Currently work for an exporting company
*African American and single

Basically I will always love NY but I'm sick of it at the same time. I'm tired of the winters there and I need something new. I'm kind of burned out.

What I'm looking for:
**Diverse area with people of all cultures and backgrounds
**Decent nightlife scene
**Good jobs-hopefully within my field & with good pay
**Good housing-willing to pay a little more for a nice place to live
**adequete public transportation

Can anyone help me?
sen23@live.com

Last edited by saina23; 02-17-2008 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: wanted to add email address

Old 08-15-2008, 03:23 PM

7 posts, read 12,159 times
Do it. Like you, I lived on the east for some time and got tired of it. I moved here from Philly last year. I think here you will have more peace of mind. (1) The people here are friendlier, (2) weather is great, (3) just as expensive as D.C., (4) women are more approachable but still just as materialistic, (5) the beach, (6) more outdoor activities. Just do it. There's so much to do here.
I'm an Accountant so I can't speak to your particular job market unfortunately. Let's see. There's a ton of people here with bikes (especially considering gas prices and parking). If you want to meet people, live Downtown (Hillcrest, Little Italy etc.) this way you can be close to the nightlife/restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego