Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 05:46 PM

3 posts, read 3,440 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I've been lurking in this forum for a couple of years, but I still think it's worthwhile for me to put up my own thread.

I will be moving to San Diego from the DC area at the end of August for a new job. I will be working at the SPAWAR building and was planning to live someplace downtown. I have a car but was wondering how feasible it was to commute there using the trolley.

I will likely have to rent a place without seeing it in person. I was hoping to get some recommendations on specific buildings and/or feedback on areas downtown (Gaslamp, Little Italy, East Village, Marina, etc). I have been looking on apartments.com and Craiglist as well; I would prefer to rent from a commercial landlord. My rent range is $1500-$1750 per month.

I'm open to areas outside of downtown but thought it would be the most convenient. I am a late 20s, single, white male if that matters.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 06:20 PM

6,419 posts, read 11,571,173 times
SPAWAR has two locations - Old Town and Point Loma. Since I don't know which address you'll be at, here's the public transportation information for San Diego: Transit.511sd.com

Downtown isn't too bad by way of convenience for either SPAWAR location, in that it's not too far. Sunset Cliffs or Ocean Beach would be even closer, unless you'd be working at the Old Town location. For Old Town you might want to look at Mission Hills or Hillcrest. (Hillcrest is the LGBT neighborhood, but in San Diego it's not a really bit deal.)

Can you get a hotel or something like that for a couple of weeks or a month? That would give you the opportunity to come out here and see your place before you rent it.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
SPAWAR has two locations - Old Town and Point Loma. Since I don't know which address you'll be at, here's the public transportation information for San Diego: Transit.511sd.com

Downtown isn't too bad by way of convenience for either SPAWAR location, in that it's not too far. Sunset Cliffs or Ocean Beach would be even closer, unless you'd be working at the Old Town location. For Old Town you might want to look at Mission Hills or Hillcrest. (Hillcrest is the LGBT neighborhood, but in San Diego it's not a really bit deal.)

Can you get a hotel or something like that for a couple of weeks or a month? That would give you the opportunity to come out here and see your place before you rent it.
Thanks for the input! I will be at the Old Town location, so I'll take your advice and look into Hillcrest as well.

I am planning to ship some of my current stuff from DC, so I probably would have at least a few days or a week to look around before it arrived.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:36 PM

15,117 posts, read 32,228,722 times
You can walk there from the Old Town trolley station, or the #10 bus stops right across the street from it. How you get there on the bus/trolley will all depend on where you end up living.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:42 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,566,822 times
Congrats, I made that same move 8 months ago. You will love it here!

Old 07-24-2014, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,103 times
Congrats! This is odd because I am from DC, moving to SD at the end of august as well. I too was looking at downtown. I also am in my late 20s. And if you are working at SPAWAR and coming from DC (I have a hunch) I think our career paths may cross.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:06 PM

Thank you, moved. The trolley does look like it might be a good option for me.

GMU & greneggz,
It seems like there are a lot of people moving to San Diego from DC recently. I know of several others personally. I wonder whether it's an actual trend or just coincidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: