Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 03:49 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,325,757 times

Advertisements

I'll be driving from Encinitas to Palm Springs in a few days & will stay at least overnight before returning. I'm not familiar with much outside of the downtown SD area or Encinitas/La Jolla beach areas. Can someone recommend some places/towns/sights along the way that might be nice places to visit (even if just for an hour or so), for whatever reason you'd visit? I'm not looking to stay the day... just stop along the way, if there's something to see. Please keep in mind that I'm a small girl traveling alone sans canine... meaning, I'm not going to hike a canyon alone or camp in the desert overnight.

I also see that Palm Desert is a bit passed PS. Would I find something worth visiting in PD? (I've only found info on meth labs, but fully admit I didn't do a plethora of research). Also, if anyone has any suggestions in the Springs, I'm all ears... that's more important than stopping along the way, since I'll be there at least overnight... & of course, I'll ask at the hotel... I'm just soliciting additional opinions.

I realize I can do a lot of research, but it's a quick trip & I'd rather ask locals in the know... I don't want to miss seeing something noteworthy I may never pass again (like something historical), a nice cafe for b'kfast/lunch, or even just a nice outdoor mall (I never shop, so walking/coffee in a mall once every few yrs is fine). I don't have specifics to ask, as I'm just unfamiliar with anything in-between here & there. I see that I pass by Murietta, Temecula, Hidden Meadows... just not sure if there's a must-see on my travels?

I appreciate any useful input.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 03:59 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,560,259 times
If you are going to Palm Desert I'd definitely hit up Joshua Tree. I like to visit the area in the winter though, its too hot out there in the summer

Old 07-24-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
If you are going to Palm Desert I'd definitely hit up Joshua Tree. I like to visit the area in the winter though, its too hot out there in the summer
I've driven through JTree many years ago. What would you suggest seeing there (isn't it just open space desert?)... or are you saying don't stop as it's too hot now?

Old 07-24-2014, 05:08 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,556,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I've driven through JTree many years ago. What would you suggest seeing there (isn't it just open space desert?)... or are you saying don't stop as it's too hot now?
The lower half of Joshua Tree is "just" open space Sonoran Desert (I like desert, so I'm happy to visit there). The upper half is Mojave desert. What it has that's worth seeing is some truly stupendous rock formations. You'll need to check the weather to decide if it's going to be too hot for you. If you go to Joshua Tree, be sure to bring plenty of water with you. It's not readily available inside the park.

In Palm Springs, the only thing of note that I wouldn't bypass if I were there again is the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway.

Here's a discussion on TripAdvisor that might give you some ideas: Points of interest between Palm Springs and San Diego - San Diego Forum - TripAdvisor

If you wind up going through Hemet (and that does look like the most direct route), I'll warn you that driving through Hemet is traffic-light h*||. It'll take patience ...

Old 07-24-2014, 05:21 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,945,089 times
Temecula wineries, Julian - those are good places to check out on your jaunt.

I live in La Quinta (next to Palm Desert) and have also lived in Palm Desert. Both of my kids live in Palm Desert. When you say "meth labs" I think you're talking about Desert Hot Springs. Palm Desert isn't really a big meth lab area. It IS a big shopping area though and we have some very good high-end restaurants. You're most likely to spot lots of Bentleys and Rolls Royces, Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Mercedes (You might even spot ME rollin' through da hood in my badass AMG! ) BMWs, Audis, Porsches, etc. Once in a while we even spot a Bugatti Veyron or two.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:26 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,538,688 times
For something different try Idyllwild: Idyllwild-Pine Cove, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-24-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
The lower half of Joshua Tree is "just" open space Sonoran Desert (I like desert, so I'm happy to visit there). The upper half is Mojave desert. What it has that's worth seeing is some truly stupendous rock formations. You'll need to check the weather to decide if it's going to be too hot for you. If you go to Joshua Tree, be sure to bring plenty of water with you. It's not readily available inside the park.
Hiya OS... I'm a girl. I won't stop in any deserted area... it's just not smart... maybe another time when I'm not alone.

Quote:
In Palm Springs, the only thing of note that I wouldn't bypass if I were there again is the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway.

Here's a discussion on TripAdvisor that might give you some ideas: Points of interest between Palm Springs and San Diego - San Diego Forum - TripAdvisor

If you wind up going through Hemet (and that does look like the most direct route), I'll warn you that driving through Hemet is traffic-light h*||. It'll take patience ...
Okay, thank you for the link. I could push the trip up a couple of days so I can gather a place or 2 to stop. Or, better yet, I just got a brand new GPS (haven't figured it out yet... the screen keeps blacking out whilst driving), so perhaps it will also notify me of some cool places a long the way. I'll work on it tomorrow. Thanks for the warning on Hemet. It will be interesting to see if my GPS guides me around the traffic... it's got life traffic as a feature.

Thanks again, OS.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:23 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,016,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I'll be driving from Encinitas to Palm Springs in a few days & will stay at least overnight before returning. I'm not familiar with much outside of the downtown SD area or Encinitas/La Jolla beach areas. Can someone recommend some places/towns/sights along the way that might be nice places to visit (even if just for an hour or so), for whatever reason you'd visit? I'm not looking to stay the day... just stop along the way, if there's something to see. Please keep in mind that I'm a small girl traveling alone sans canine... meaning, I'm not going to hike a canyon alone or camp in the desert overnight.

I also see that Palm Desert is a bit passed PS. Would I find something worth visiting in PD? (I've only found info on meth labs, but fully admit I didn't do a plethora of research). Also, if anyone has any suggestions in the Springs, I'm all ears... that's more important than stopping along the way, since I'll be there at least overnight... & of course, I'll ask at the hotel... I'm just soliciting additional opinions.

I realize I can do a lot of research, but it's a quick trip & I'd rather ask locals in the know... I don't want to miss seeing something noteworthy I may never pass again (like something historical), a nice cafe for b'kfast/lunch, or even just a nice outdoor mall (I never shop, so walking/coffee in a mall once every few yrs is fine). I don't have specifics to ask, as I'm just unfamiliar with anything in-between here & there. I see that I pass by Murietta, Temecula, Hidden Meadows... just not sure if there's a must-see on my travels?

I appreciate any useful input.
Palm Desert and Palm Springs are pretty much the same thing, although Palm Springs has a pretty hip downtown area. Lots of trendy restaurants and boutique type of stuff. You should take Highway 74 down to Palm Springs as opposed to taking the 10. Highway 74 is scenic and has lots of lookout points. Lots of car and motorcycle commercials are made on this road. If you take 74 into Palm Springs you will drive through Palm Desert first. There are a few galleries and artsy type of things in Palm Desert as you come to the bottom of the valley.

The Palm Springs Aerial Tramway is a must.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsaSB3Lf3TI

Old 07-24-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Temecula wineries, Julian - those are good places to check out on your jaunt.

I live in La Quinta (next to Palm Desert) and have also lived in Palm Desert. Both of my kids live in Palm Desert. When you say "meth labs" I think you're talking about Desert Hot Springs. Palm Desert isn't really a big meth lab area. It IS a big shopping area though and we have some very good high-end restaurants. You're most likely to spot lots of Bentleys and Rolls Royces, Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Mercedes (You might even spot ME rollin' through da hood in my badass AMG! ) BMWs, Audis, Porsches, etc. Once in a while we even spot a Bugatti Veyron or two.
Hey Twinkle... Lovely to see you. I haven't seen your posts in years... guess I must not be around as much. Are you still flamenco dancing?

Perhaps the articles I read were on Desert Hot Springs. I don't know the area at all. It might have been an interview in which I first heard about it... something about an area next to the Saltan Sea, which I guess is dry & deserted now. It used to be a spa area for the wealthy back a century ago. I saw some pics & it looks rather dismal now... the photographer saying the area had an eerie feeling.

Stuff like this creeps me out...

Actually, I walked around Desert Springs on Google & it looks to have a nice shopping area to walk around. I think I'll have plenty to do there... I even found a Starbucks across from the Sephora on El Paseo Dr.

Well, given the common vehicles of the PSprings population, you may just notice me in town, rather than the other way 'round. I'll be driving the Honda. If you're out & about, keep one of your dance shoes on the rear view mirror... I'll beep & wave.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
Palm Desert and Palm Springs are pretty much the same thing, although Palm Springs has a pretty hip downtown area. Lots of trendy restaurants and boutique type of stuff. You should take Highway 74 down to Palm Springs as opposed to taking the 10. Highway 74 is scenic and has lots of lookout points. Lots of car and motorcycle commercials are made on this road. If you take 74 into Palm Springs you will drive through Palm Desert first. There are a few galleries and artsy type of things in Palm Desert as you come to the bottom of the valley.

The Palm Springs Aerial Tramway is a must.
Thank you, Echo & Cruitr. I think the downtown areas will be best for me. I did say I'm a girl traveling alone, but it seems to have been missed... I'm not going into lesser traveled areas... I should have emphasized more that I'm looking for lunch places, coffee, a shopping area... I think Twinkle & I are on the same wavelength.

Thank you for the directions. I'll look up 74... thanks for the head's up on that. Always nice to have a more scenic drive. And, I appreciate the tramcar video. I don't like heights, so someone would have to glue me to a seat to get me into that thing... but it looks cool for those who are not motion sick, sea level dwellers.

Thank you again, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego