Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 04:41 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,898 times

Advertisements

I was looking at houses in Eastlake today and had to take the 125 freeway. The toll charge for my 5 mile journey was $2.50! If I was to live in Eastlake, I'd need a way to commute to La Mesa for work without having to pay $5 per round trip.

Is there some sort of unlimited pass, or another way to go that is direct and doesn't cost a fortune, or take me out to the 805/5?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 05:48 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,483,464 times
There's no other way close to as convenient as taking 125.

This link should answer your question about pricing:

Welcome To SBX The 125

Old 08-03-2014, 09:55 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I was looking at houses in Eastlake today and had to take the 125 freeway. The toll charge for my 5 mile journey was $2.50! If I was to live in Eastlake, I'd need a way to commute to La Mesa for work without having to pay $5 per round trip.

Is there some sort of unlimited pass, or another way to go that is direct and doesn't cost a fortune, or take me out to the 805/5?
I believe it is a little cheaper with a transponder. I use it all the time with a FasTrak transponder and its great. To me at least, the lack of traffic any time of day makes going to Eastlake a great drive and its really nice at sunset to boot. I dont see how that isnt a positive for what an extra $200ish a month?

Since SANDAG took it over for about 1/3 of what it cost to build, it will at some point lose the toll (presumably) like the Coronado Bridge did by 2042.

On a side note, it seems you are all over the place with your house shopping with your posts. Has it been that hard to find a place to buy or are you just not satisfied with what you are seeing?

Old 08-03-2014, 12:57 PM

Yes I am all over the place with home shopping. I'm running into the dilemma of buying closer to work or closer to where I'd ideally like to live. Since I'm buying alone, there's no way I'd be able to buy in my first choice area-Encinitas. I work nights and a short drive home in the am is imperative to my safety. But I also may move work sites soon, so I don't want to buy just because it's close to where I presently work.... It's a tough call.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:07 PM

6,503 posts, read 7,533,875 times
My wife works three 12-hour shifts at night so I worry about her safety to at 7 AM also, the good thing for her is that she is going against all the East County traffic on the 8 freeway so she can get home in 20 mins, but with the morning sun blasting her in the face.

Since you work opposite of most people and I presume are travelling North for work, would taking the 805 from Eastlake to work be an option for you to save a little money?

Old 08-03-2014, 02:24 PM

9 posts, read 12,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
I believe it is a little cheaper with a transponder. I use it all the time with a FasTrak transponder and its great. To me at least, the lack of traffic any time of day makes going to Eastlake a great drive and its really nice at sunset to boot. I dont see how that isnt a positive for what an extra $200ish a month?

Since SANDAG took it over for about 1/3 of what it cost to build, it will at some point lose the toll (presumably) like the Coronado Bridge did by 2042.

On a side note, it seems you are all over the place with your house shopping with your posts. Has it been that hard to find a place to buy or are you just not satisfied with what you are seeing?
I need to do a little more reading on this but from what I remember it was a big hit on the tax payers when SANDAG took over. Jeez, 2042? I remember as a kid driving with my dad over the Coronado bridge and reaching in the glove compartment for his prize stash of free passes he got when he was working on the island. Up until last year I drove over the bridge for work and was glad I didn't need to deal with that.

Living on the free end of the 125 has certainly had its benefits

Old 08-03-2014, 04:54 PM

Which side of the 125 is free? Is it the side north of the 54 freeway?

Old 08-03-2014, 05:14 PM

6,503 posts, read 7,533,875 times
^^^Yup, from the 54 all the way up to the 52 in Santee, the 125 is free. Otherwise it is $3.50 to drive the entire length of the expressway from the 54 down to the 905 by the Otay Mesa border.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:21 AM

35 posts, read 51,365 times
I wash shocked at the toll prices on 125 as well when I was looking at places to buy as well. I ended up deciding to buy in Santee instead of East Lake one because of the tolls and two because of the Mello Roos. Those are two massive expenditures each month that you won't make up when you eventually sell because those monthly payments aren't going towards the principle on your loan nor will they be part of any appreciation you would see in real estate values. I would rather pay a little more to live somewhere else where the I can recoup that additional amount when I sell the property.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymore View Post
I wash shocked at the toll prices on 125 as well when I was looking at places to buy as well. I ended up deciding to buy in Santee instead of East Lake one because of the tolls and two because of the Mello Roos. Those are two massive expenditures each month that you won't make up when you eventually sell because those monthly payments aren't going towards the principle on your loan nor will they be part of any appreciation you would see in real estate values. I would rather pay a little more to live somewhere else where the I can recoup that additional amount when I sell the property.
That sounds like what I may end up doing. However Santee is so much hotter in the summer. I was surprised that the temps in Otay Ranch were so moderate during the summer months with July/August averages in the high 70s low 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego