Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 12:32 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times

Advertisements

How about if they stay off the beach, maybe a picnic table near the parking lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 03:51 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Coronado has a leash-free section at the far north end by the military base.

OB has a huge leash free section at the north end.

Del Mar has a leash-free area but there are restrictions on hours and I think during the summer.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
How about if they stay off the beach, maybe a picnic table near the parking lot?
Just depends. Google the beach you want to go to and read the regulations. If there's grassy picnic areas you can often have a dog on a leash, but again, they're all different.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:30 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
The water us usually warmer in Mission Bay plus they have showers, bathrooms, and some grassy areas for people to picnic on. There are even a few sandy little artificial islands which the kids can swim out to and play on.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:27 AM

3 posts, read 3,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Not to Moonlight. Not sure on the others you mentioned. Dogs are only allowed on the state beaches in North County (San Elijo, South Cardiff, etc) and at Dog Beach in Del Mar.
There are also dog beaches in Coronado and Ocean Beach. Probably not the best place to lay out with your family though, unless you don't mind (large) sandy, wet dogs running up to you and your blanket And every part of Fiesta Island is dog friendly as well.
La Jolla Shores is a beautiful beach. I always see families there. Mission beach and Pacific seem to have more of a college aged/teenage aged demographic rather than La Jolla shores or Coronado which seem to be more populated by families.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:58 AM

Thanks for all of the input everyone. Another question. How safe are the beaches mentioned? Say you drive there by yourself from out of state, and lock a camera in the car in the parking lot. Go for a swim. So, you have to leave your keys in your towel on the beach. Are there many car break ins? Will my beach stuff in the towel be safe?

Old 08-17-2014, 12:29 PM

from La Jolla Shores:

"No dogs allowed after 9am. Dogs permitted after 4pm in the winter and after 6pm year round."

Old 08-17-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
Thanks for all of the input everyone. Another question. How safe are the beaches mentioned? Say you drive there by yourself from out of state, and lock a camera in the car in the parking lot. Go for a swim. So, you have to leave your keys in your towel on the beach. Are there many car break ins? Will my beach stuff in the towel be safe?
Best advice: Don't leave valuables in your car anywhere ever. Your keys and junk will be fine on the beach, generally, but you probably don't want to leave your wallet or iPhone someplace where someone could literally just pick it up while "casually" walking by.

THAT SAID, I've been known to lock my wallet and phone in my glove box while out bodysurfing or snorkeling, and have been doing so since I was old enough to drive myself to the beach. Just know that there's always a risk when you leave your valuables anywhere, and for god's sake don't leave ANYTHING where anyone can see it through the window. But the only way to know 100% that your stuff is safe is to lock it up or don't let it out of your sight. I was with a friend on fiesta island with the dogs when someone busted her car window and cleaned out all the gift cards and crap she had in the center console and her phone that she left in plain view on her seat.. Don't be that person.

If you can leave everything but your ID (and a credit card to pay for your after-beach fish tacos and beer) at your hotel and just keep those in a (zipperd/velcroed/snapped shut so you don't lose them because trust me, you feel dumb when that happens) pocket in your trunks while you swim, more's the better.

Have fun!

Old 08-17-2014, 11:19 PM

77 posts, read 126,949 times
The dog beach in Del Mar is on leash from June 16 through Labor Day, although you will see people who sneak behind the rocks when the lifeguards aren't around. Ocean Beach and Coronado have off leash dog beaches. There are lots of people myself included, who go to Coronado with their dogs, pack coolers, umbrellas and chairs and stay the whole day. Once in awhile a dog might run up and pee on your stuff, but that's the risk you take!! It's nice at Coronado and OB is decent too.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:50 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Wait., whut?!?!? "Dont' leave valuables in your car". But, "lock them up". Huh?

In my car, if I have to leave anything that might be "break in bait" I cover it with a shirt or hat or something.

I grew up in a big, bad city (Chicago). So I would never leave my keys unattended on the beach. I'd get myself a coil-type plastic bracelet and keep my keys around my wrist.

Just sayin' ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego