Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 02:18 PM

9,823 posts, read 11,546,362 times

Advertisements

I just received a job offer that will pay me 10k more a year and will be less of a commute(Was commuting to Poway and 4s ranch everyday and I live in La Mesa)
I worked for 1 company for 18 years but in the last 3 years have jump too 2 different jobs.
All my jobs have been more money but just not as satisfying as my first job for 18 years. Also my current job allowed me to play on the computer Most of the day, this new job will not(Good bye City-data Peeps)
Although I did take the new job in the Linda Vista/Mesa College area, How Many of you Guys and Girls Job Jump and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 02:21 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
Congrats! Enjoy the $.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:53 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Good luck on the new job! Visit us in the evenings, off-job hours.

I only "job jumped" when I got laid off (happened a few times during my career). But then, I've managed to deter the headhunters since I always liked my work situation, whatever it happened to be.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:11 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,113 times
Congrats on the new gig!

I remember when you got the Poway job and were asking what the optimal route would be from La Mesa to work. Time flies!

I agree, visit city-data in the off hours.

As for me, I've switched jobs too often in the last ~10 years. In SoCal it is acceptable to switch jobs every 3-4 years. Sooner than that and I think you give the impression that you are a job hopper (it is a little different with contractors). I plan to stay where I am and have ignored the aggressive tech recruiters -- they will cold call you at work with no regrets.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:27 PM

Thanks Everybody!
I'm a loyal person, but have come to realize that there is no loyalty in the corporate world anymore. As I get older i might as well get paid the most for my services. A job every 3 or 4 years?
Now I don't feel bad

Old 08-20-2014, 12:00 AM

70 posts, read 127,967 times
I may sounds stupid but I give my jobs about 5 years and always end up going to a lower paying job (not by a lot). They end up being more satisfying and better benefits. I think as I get older, I realized it's not about money and the daily grind. It's about what can happen outside of that.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supagyrl88 View Post
I may sounds stupid but I give my jobs about 5 years and always end up going to a lower paying job (not by a lot). They end up being more satisfying and better benefits. I think as I get older, I realized it's not about money and the daily grind. It's about what can happen outside of that.
I have a friend that is the same way. He's gone from a 75k a year job as a sheriff to a 40k a year job at the school district and couldn't be happier.
Told my bosses today and they didn't care, I'm just another number I guess
Both of my other jobs that I quit, I at lease got a call from a higher up about my decision.
Told my Neighbor, because he kind of got me both of my last jobs, and he was ok with it!
Truth be told I'm kind of scared. I know I can do the job with my eyes closed, but how will my new peers treat me

Old 08-20-2014, 01:37 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Good luck hitman! I haven't job jumped, but started my own business in the same industry but different line of work.

You will be fine. If anyone bugs you, just tell them you are busy on city-data and to go bother someone else

Old 08-20-2014, 03:01 PM

6,503 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Congrats Hitman, visit us on the weekends when you've had a few beers and your posts are funnier.

To answer your question, I've had 4 positions/promotions within the last 10 years. Although I jump positions every few years, they've all been with the same company so far so I have the same benefits and all my accrued paid time off from over the years which I generate at rate of 6-7 weeks per year since my 5 year mark. Luckily my company is nationwide as well as international so I can report to an office in say Houston or Minneapolis without actually physically being there, which means there is still room for growth within my office but also even more so within the company.

For younger people, 2-4 years seems to be ideal for moving up the ladder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
You will be fine. If anyone bugs you, just tell them you are busy on city-data and to go bother someone else
I work in a report programming/data analysis position so "City Data" looks like work.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:18 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,431,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supagyrl88 View Post
Very well stated.

Early on in your career the primary focus is to get your salary up to a respectable/comfortable level.

Near the middle, it's more about prestige and perceived upward momentum. You then realize many of the tradeoffs required to attain some of these positions.

Later, I think you realize none of these things are really worth it if you are miserable and hate what you are doing and/or the people you work alongside of....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego