Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 09:35 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Why do you feel you are entitled to a 1300 dollar place here? I just want to hear why someone feels that way.
Don't live beyond your means, and you won't have problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 09:47 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Business AND Govt have to work together to create plans for housing, business support etc. The problem is that those conversations happen and there are legitimate arguments against that level of development. Not just NIMBYs but well organized business coalitions etc.

When people that 'get it' like Bill Fullton (the former city planner) stay only one year on the job, that is HUGE problem for the city. This guy is a Nationally recognized leader in city planning that probably could have helped develop some well thought out plans that combine intelligent growth to support business and infrastructure and he 'leaves' his post to go to Houston. I am sure his views of growth were not shared by the current Mayor, which is fine, but goes back to the status quo. While Filner had some major problems, he did have some ideas politically that challenged that status quo.

Personally, I am no proponent of just building density or building mass transit for the sake of it. That doesn't make sense. The problem is that the very small minority of voices that do share prime examples of how it can be done and done well (in other cities) are crushed by the voices that are established here.
NIMBYs absolutely have a right to their views and home equity. I dont see how anyone could blame a NIMBY that bought a house years ago which might be now more than 4X+ than what they paid for it by simply being working class. Paying the mortgage, going to work and raising a family, being careful with their budget. But those generally arent the most outspoken at regional meetings.
Its the voices that think any kind of change other than repaving streets will endanger their community in the worst possible way.
Ultimately those conversations become more about the subjective rather than the objective citing poor scenario examples and complete distrust of any change.

SO just building housing or having companies move here arent the answer, its' more complex than that. You need a supportive environment for the long term. I just dont get the feeling that many Texas sized companies and corps feel they can benefit over the long term here. I just hope we start getting out of this hour glass shaped economy. Its interesting to see the sub 400k housing market on fire and the 1MM plus market very hot.

But that is San Diego. As long as property values go up and things are built where they dont make sense, or trolley lines go where no one goes, its all good.

Thank you for the new perspective on this situation.

If all NIMBYS had their way because things block their views absolutely nothing will ever get done. There will always be people that will complain when something is being planned. Sometimes it is legitimate like if a power plant or big factory is being planned right next to a neighborhood, but often times it really isn't imo.

I think most of the Green Line that runs through Mission Valley is pretty useless. I think it is great that it goes out to Santee becasue there are people that have appointments/work/other plans near downtown that ride it from there so that part isn't useless imo. I love that it goes to SDSU too. Very convenient.

I don't understand why the trolley doesn't go to the airport. It stops down the street from there at Washington Street but it would be convenient if it went along Harbor Drive either above ground or at ground level. The trolley should go into Hillcrest and the Balboa Park area too.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:50 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
What is up with you tea party types and the word "entitled"? It's like the only word you know.

Entitled are the transplant NIMBYs that go out of their way to stop any apartments/condos/houses etc from being built because they don't want their view ruined. That is the definition of entitled and selfish.
What was with Obama who said that Healthcare is a RIGHT? There you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post

Problem is that many don't have enough means for the minimum COL in an area like beautiful SD. Heck, many people well into old age need to share housing these days (in many areas of the USA) and not for their lack of trying to be better at earning, saving, etc.,,, monies.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:51 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,430 times
Quote:
Exactly this! It drives me nuts when people complain about how they can't afford their house or rent because they have huge gas guzzling vehicles, multiple off road ATVs, boats, etc. People like to look like they have more money than they actually do. A modest house with out all the excess isn't enough now adays. Everything has to be bigger and multiply.

There are people that aren't obsessed with status that legitimately can't afford it here and those are the people I have sympathy for. Its easy for others to tell them to move somewhere else but it's not that easy. it takes money to move and there are other factors too.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:22 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
What is up with you tea party types and the word "entitled"? It's like the only word you know.

Entitled are the transplant NIMBYs that go out of their way to stop any apartments/condos/houses etc from being built because they don't want their view ruined. That is the definition of entitled and selfish.
I voted for your boy Obama first term. Do your Tea Party types do that? I think, no I know,you have no clue most of the time what that even means.

verb (used with object), entitled, entitling.
to give (a person or thing) a title, right, or claim to something; furnish with grounds for laying claim:
His executive position entitled him to certain courtesies rarely accorded others.

A RIGHT. What right does someone have to discounted housing when no one else does that lives here? Do you have any clue what happens when you have housing density without the infrastructure to handle it? It's called gridlock dear child.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
DING winner

Responsibility and living within ones means. No handouts.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:25 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
I love San Diego and that city has the perfect weather but I don't think I could ever afford to live in SD. I might move to Las Vegas or Phoenix after graduate school because its still close to LA and SD but not as expensive to live. Cost of living and the taxes in California are outrageous. Just my two cents- RL

Old 08-23-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I love San Diego and that city has the perfect weather but I don't think I could ever afford to live in SD. I might move to Las Vegas or Phoenix after graduate school because its still close to LA and SD but not as expensive to live. Cost of living and the taxes in California are outrageous. Just my two cents- RL
Most of the bigger Coastal Cities are expensive. There are some that don't make sense (to me) like NYC. Just the weather alone keeps it off my list.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:24 PM

33 posts, read 74,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
DING winner

Responsibility and living within ones means. No handouts.
That's fine but it still doesn't mean San Diego isn't too expensive.
It is.

It's probably not appropriate to post a link to a house on Trulia so I'll just describe the results of a quick search I did just now.

1700 Sqft house built in the 60's in the older part of UTC drive for $650K .... really??? Bricks must have gold dust in them

Another one in the same neighbourhood built in the 90's. 3000 sqft. price = almost a million.

980sqft home in University heights ...built 1950's ...price $450K

Alrighty then

Old 08-23-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oboe700 View Post
That's fine but it still doesn't mean San Diego isn't too expensive.
It is.

It's probably not appropriate to post a link to a house on Trulia so I'll just describe the results of a quick search I did just now.

1700 Sqft house built in the 60's in the older part of UTC drive for $650K .... really??? Bricks must have gold dust in them

Another one in the same neighbourhood built in the 90's. 3000 sqft. price = almost a million.

980sqft home in University heights ...built 1950's ...price $450K

Alrighty then
Don't forget the proximity to the Ocean. That and great weather are pretty much the driving factor. There are plenty of places you can still get a good deal (for CA). Just not beach area deals. Take the Ocean away and we are just another Phoenix.

I find SD expensive, but not too expensive to live here. We don't buy new cars, we bought a beater and rebuilt the house ourselves. We don't eat out but rarely and spend a lot of time doing free stuff outdoors because the weather is so nice. It's completely possible to get by here it just takes more work.

I've got friends always bragging on FB about their new houses and cars, etc. Well, they still live where it's either blistering hot or freezing cold. I feel sorry for those that live in Tuscon now and sorry for my friends in Chicago in the winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego