Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 05:23 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyJohn View Post
Maybe I should retitle the thread: where in San Diego north county can I move if I never ever ever want to see or deal with a rattlesnake (or any snakes)?

Can anyone chime in with a few answers?

Good luck with that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 11:25 PM

77 posts, read 126,988 times
For the person who just lost their dog, I am very sorry for your loss. To the OP, I lived in Henderson, NV for 8 years, up until 3.5 years ago, and never once did I see or hear of anyone encountering a rattlesnake there. But I moved to San Diego and suddenly I heard a lot about them, saw signs posted in a lot of areas, met quite a few people with dogs who have been bitten, found out about rattlesnake vaccines for dogs, prevention classes for dogs and then as stated in an earlier post, I had one in my back yard and several more on the street here in RB. So much for thinking they were only in the desert!!

Old 09-01-2014, 08:49 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Maybe I should retitle the thread: where in San Diego north county can I move if I never ever ever want to see or deal with a rattlesnake (or any snakes)?

Live on a boat in some marina. Have your groceries delivered, and find a doctor who will make boat calls. Then maybe - but only maybe - you won't ever see one.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:44 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas28 View Post
For the person who just lost their dog, I am very sorry for your loss. To the OP, I lived in Henderson, NV for 8 years, up until 3.5 years ago, and never once did I see or hear of anyone encountering a rattlesnake there. But I moved to San Diego and suddenly I heard a lot about them, saw signs posted in a lot of areas, met quite a few people with dogs who have been bitten, found out about rattlesnake vaccines for dogs, prevention classes for dogs and then as stated in an earlier post, I had one in my back yard and several more on the street here in RB. So much for thinking they were only in the desert!!
We are in the desert!

Old 09-01-2014, 12:20 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,726 times
Quote:

Maybe you should consider a different area to relocate to.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:35 PM

54 posts, read 137,767 times
I'm guessing that if you live nearer to the water in the north county (Oceanside or Carlsbad), especially in the more built up areas, then you probably won't have to ever deal with rattlers. Am I correct?

Old 09-01-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing that if you live nearer to the water in the north county (Oceanside or Carlsbad), especially in the more built up areas, then you probably won't have to ever deal with rattlers. Am I correct?
No...both are full of canyons. Have a very good friend who lives in Carlsbad and still sees them. Torrey Pines is right on the Coast and they are still seen there. Face it...if you want to move to the this area, you have to deal the good with the bad.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:59 PM

54 posts, read 137,767 times
Thanks Shelby (and others). I'm guessing then to avoid life with rattlers I'd have to just move up closer to L.A. then (or the Bay Area). Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Old 09-01-2014, 03:04 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Thanks Shelby (and others). I'm guessing then to avoid life with rattlers I'd have to just move up closer to L.A. then (or the Bay Area). Can anyone confirm or refute this?
Orange County is full of canyons and openspace. So that won't work to avoiding rattlesnakes. In L.A. proper, you may be able to find a neighborhood that's concreted-over enough that there aren't rattle snakes. North of L.A. you're back to having habitat where you might find rattlesnakes. In San Francisco proper, maybe not everywhere.

You may have better luck in trying something to get over your anxiety about rattlesnakes. Because no matter where you wind up, you're going to have some critter or other to deal with.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Orange County is full of canyons and openspace. So that won't work to avoiding rattlesnakes. In L.A. proper, you may be able to find a neighborhood that's concreted-over enough that there aren't rattle snakes. North of L.A. you're back to having habitat where you might find rattlesnakes. In San Francisco proper, maybe not everywhere.

You may have better luck in trying something to get over your anxiety about rattlesnakes. Because no matter where you wind up, you're going to have some critter or other to deal with.

This , exactly! We're not saying they are out and about and you will encounter them all the time. You just have to be aware that they are here.

As for L.A.:
Warm Weather Bringing Rattlesnakes Out of Hibernation | NBC Southern California

And San Francisco: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...er-4590392.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego