Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 01:08 PM
Urz Urz started this thread

6 posts, read 6,921 times

Advertisements

Thanks lots! rgb123 is right: by "suburb" I mean "area" (not specifically urban or suburban!). Maybe I used the wrong word, or it translates differently

I really appreciate the detailed comments above, any further suggestions are welcome too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 01:20 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
suburb generally means an area that is outside the built up part of the city but it is still economically tied to the city -- so you might have a lot of people who live in a suburb but commute to a job in the city (ore more built up part of the city, more "urban" area)

Hillcrest and North Park are "city" neighborhoods

Carlsbad and Encinitas have their own smaller downtown areas, but are economically tied to the larger San Diego city (and by train)

Based on what you said I think you would like Carlsbad and Encinitas better and that is where a lot of people live. People live in the city neighborhoods as well, but its much further from the activities you listed as things you enjoy -- I think these areas also offer things you will find in other cities whereas Carlsbad and Encinitas areas are more distinctivley San Diego suburb areas you won't find a lot of elsewhere in the country.

Most people don't move to San Diego looking for an urban neighborhood -- some do and again I'm choosing to move to North Park soon. But part of the reason is to see if I'd like it as I'm not sure. I wouldn't want to spend a week there if a week is all I had -- and its not what I'd consider particularly safe at night compared to the other areas especially if you want to travel alone to places after dark.

Check it out, stay in the beach towns though or try both

Old 08-31-2014, 01:29 PM
Urz Urz started this thread

6 posts, read 6,921 times
Thanks rgb123! I've lived in some big cities (Hong Kong and currently London) - so somewhere more distinctly San Diego would be great. I'll check out Encinitas and Carlsbad, and maybe have a few nights in another area as well.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:40 PM

745 posts, read 1,568,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I disagree with these (late 30's female here...)

stay out of mission valley and college area (whatever that is) I'd call that more urban(almost suburban) hell...if you have a decent income you'd probably never live there if you prefer a more suburban location.

The College area is in the vicinity of San Diego State University. It consists of several different neighborhoods. The northern boundary is Frwy 8, the eastern boundary is the City of La Mesa, the Southern Boundary is Frwy 94 and I have forgotten what the western boundary is. I have a decent income and live in the College Area but would not recommend it for a week's stay with someone vacationing in San Diego.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeke View Post
The College area is in the vicinity of San Diego State University. It consists of several different neighborhoods. The northern boundary is Frwy 8, the eastern boundary is the City of La Mesa, the Southern Boundary is Frwy 94 and I have forgotten what the western boundary is. I have a decent income and live in the College Area but would not recommend it for a week's stay with someone vacationing in San Diego.
yeah, that is more what I mean....and I mean more for single people. I'm sure there are nice homes to buy in those areas but the apartments seem geared toward 20's than late 30's single people (Thats the kind of hell I mean

hell might be stretching it but yeah I think that area is not for vacationers.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urz View Post
Thanks rgb123! I've lived in some big cities (Hong Kong and currently London) - so somewhere more distinctly San Diego would be great. I'll check out Encinitas and Carlsbad, and maybe have a few nights in another area as well.
look at Solana Beach too

Old 09-02-2014, 02:15 PM

9 posts, read 10,362 times
You will find a wealth of information at www.newtosandeigo.com. Perhaps start with Neighborhoods by Zipcode (92109, 92107, 92101, 92117, 92122).

Old 09-02-2014, 04:33 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,737,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urz View Post
I'm visiting San Diego in early October. I've been before (liked it!) and went to the tourist attractions, so this time I'd like to feel as though I'm "living" there rather than being a visitor. Any suggestions on which suburbs would be good options for a late-30s female?

I'll be renting an apartment so a residential area would fine (doesn't need to have hotels). If it helps, I like being social and going for a few drinks, but I'm not into clubbing or lots of partying. I also like the outdoors (hiking, horse-riding, running) but will have a car so can drive if I'm not staying nearby.
Definitely stay near the water. October is the perfect time to be here since the tourists are gone and weather is still warm during the day. Check out Coronado, Mission Beach and Pacific Beach (The bay side of both neighborhoods are quieter), Anywhere from La Jolla to Carlsbad, ie, Del Mar, Encinitas, Solana Beach.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:09 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
I agree that October is a good month for the beach - better than crowded summer tourist season but still warm enough to be pleasant.

But there's a lot more to San Diego than the ocean. You can hike up Cowles Mountain (to sound like you live here, pronounce it 'coles' instead of 'cowls'). You can take a picnic to the mountains - Palomar or Cuyamaca or Laguna. You can walk or run or ride a bicycle around Lake Miramar - it's an easy 5-mile loop on asphalt, or else there's a walking trail halfway around if you'd prefer that. You can go visit Tijuana or (we prefer) Tecate.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:31 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,737,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I agree that October is a good month for the beach - better than crowded summer tourist season but still warm enough to be pleasant.

But there's a lot more to San Diego than the ocean. You can hike up Cowles Mountain (to sound like you live here, pronounce it 'coles' instead of 'cowls'). You can take a picnic to the mountains - Palomar or Cuyamaca or Laguna. You can walk or run or ride a bicycle around Lake Miramar - it's an easy 5-mile loop on asphalt, or else there's a walking trail halfway around if you'd prefer that. You can go visit Tijuana or (we prefer) Tecate.
True. IMO, our accessible hiking trails are as equally appealing as our beaches. Once the ocean temps start starts to cool down, it's time to hit the trails. And props for pronouncing Cowles correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego