Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2014, 06:43 PM

216 posts, read 258,574 times

Advertisements

Question for those of you familiar with the SD school system:

Homebuyers have a two year old and good schools are one of the biggest factors in determining their location. Most of the houses they are looking into seem to have one good elementary school nearby but not middle/high or some variation of this situation. Is it likely they will be able to send their child to a better school at a nearby district or will they be limited to schools in their immediate area?

Using the Trulia school mapping tool for this - is this accurate and if not which site should be used?

I'm fully aware the best schools are in La Jolla/North County. Max price is $350k for townhome/detached so those locations are out of the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 07:52 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
If it's within the San Diego Unified School District / Welcome system, I can give you information, since I used to work there, but I'm unfamiliar with how other districts work.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:32 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
You have a real estate license , you're familiar with how to search for homes, and you live in San Diego, right?

Old 09-19-2014, 11:08 PM

122 posts, read 192,985 times
If you are helping a client determine what schools are rated best..... Look at:
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Old 09-20-2014, 12:51 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKiwi View Post
Question for those of you familiar with the SD school system:

Homebuyers have a two year old and good schools are one of the biggest factors in determining their location. Most of the houses they are looking into seem to have one good elementary school nearby but not middle/high or some variation of this situation. Is it likely they will be able to send their child to a better school at a nearby district or will they be limited to schools in their immediate area?

Using the Trulia school mapping tool for this - is this accurate and if not which site should be used?

I'm fully aware the best schools are in La Jolla/North County. Max price is $350k for townhome/detached so those locations are out of the question.
La mesa, San Carlos, Poway(May not find a town home in Poway though)
Keep in mind that most of middle schools in San Diego county are So, So. Middle School is a transitional period for kids, so sometimes Great Schools don't always tell the True Story.
Case in point, my sons Middle School is very average. But His Elementary and the future high school he will attending is consider among the best in San Diego County( Benchley Weinberger and Patrick Henry)
Go figure!

Old 09-20-2014, 10:32 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKiwi View Post
Max price is $350k for townhome/detached
My advice: tell them to move out of Southern California, because this isn't happening.

California is terrible for young families, why put up with this BS? Property values laughably inflated due to Fed QE, money printing, and interest rate suppression.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:54 PM

216 posts, read 258,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathygrl View Post
If you are helping a client determine what schools are rated best..... Look at:
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
Someone else recommended this to me as well. Their map function seems useless unless I'm missing something - it only shows the 10s and isn't customizable at all. Trulia's is cluttered because it shows all the homes for sale in addition to the schools, and Redfin's is even worse. Surprisingly Zillow's seems to be the best; it allows you to view just schools without properties cluttering up everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego