Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 04:26 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
If you are OK with smoking the cigars outside (which you can do comfortably year round here) then I seriously wouldn't even mention it. As long as you don't do it inside I don't think you need to disclose it
Except if it's a no-smoking complex then they probably wouldn't be OK even with smoking them outside. The neighbors would notice and complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 06:14 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,574,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Except if it's a no-smoking complex then they probably wouldn't be OK even with smoking them outside. The neighbors would notice and complain.
I guess I was thinking more along the lines of a SFH. If i was paying 4k a month that is what I'd be looking for

Old 09-28-2014, 06:21 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,117 times
In that case - a SFH - I agree that if the cigar smoking is always outside I wouldn't even think it necessary to mention it.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:58 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,423,637 times
I am shocked at the lack of availability of rentals in Encinitas. It seems like people are way more into doing vacation rentals and short term leases than anything else.

I am shopping the high end of the market. I did have a chance at the BLUFFS Community but you should see the rule book. Add the numerous security guards and the HOA and you feel like you are in a prison.

Is this as good as it gets or is this just a bad season to look . I was told I would have numerous options in Oct.

The other thing that bothers me is the same few agents manage the majority of the properties.

Down and out in TJ....

Old 10-03-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I am shocked at the lack of availability of rentals in Encinitas. It seems like people are way more into doing vacation rentals and short term leases than anything else.

I am shopping the high end of the market. I did have a chance at the BLUFFS Community but you should see the rule book. Add the numerous security guards and the HOA and you feel like you are in a prison.

Is this as good as it gets or is this just a bad season to look . I was told I would have numerous options in Oct.

The other thing that bothers me is the same few agents manage the majority of the properties.

Down and out in TJ....
Really? Have you looked into the SFH's on Craigslist? There seem to be a ton in your price range. I would go for one of those as the rules are going to be more lax. I wouldn't worry too much about having an alarm system either as long as you lock everything up before you leave for extended periods of time

Old 10-04-2014, 01:09 PM

I found two places that were ideal for me but I couldnt close the deal. The first lady I offered a first and last months non refundable deposit and a signed lease for 15 months with an option to renew. The extra three months were added as a courtesy for holding the place for me but she wanted to rent it NOW. My NYC lease expires in mid DEC. I cant imagine someone turning that type of a deal down if they were looking for a long term renter. My credit is EXCELLENT by the way.

The second location was even better for me...walking distance to the coaster. I thought I had found the holy grail then after a heart felt email I recieved a response saying the owner was only interested in a 6 month lease....FLAKEY.

I live in a beautiful pre war building in midtown NYC. You dont give that up for nothing. I also dont want to spook my landlord unless I have something settled. Ive had the place for 15 years and by now it is worth way more than what I am paying.

There is an apartment complex Encinitas Heights ( formerly Archstone) that could hold me over for one year. YET they seem to do a great job at clearing negative reviews about the complex online. I can barely get any up to date information from renters which worries me. EVERY other building or complex I have visited has both good and bad reviews but they are available to people.

Id be a fool to live in a complex if I have the means to rent a home so I am hesitant to pursue this route. I am also concerned about having to look for a place again if my first rental doesnt work out after one year. I thought for sure Id have something settled by now since I am searching high end rentals.

Another thing which is concerning is WHY wont someone rent me a vacation rental longterm at the monthly rate they offer it for ? It doesnt make sense.

Anyway I wont give up because the longer I stay here the more I really want to be here

Hanging out in Tijuana can be just as nice in the meantime

Old 10-07-2014, 01:33 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,912,956 times
>Another thing which is concerning is WHY wont someone rent me a vacation rental longterm at the monthly rate they offer it for ? It doesnt make sense.

They get *a lot* more than the regular monthly rate in high season. I'm sure if you offered to pay an entire year's vacation rent, at the going rate for each part of the year, you'd find the landlord doing a happy dance. Most of these VRs have long stretches of being empty, when nobody makes money.

I just rented a place 800 feet from the beach in Del Mar at a 25% discount to the stated weekly rate by committing to two months. You can probably get a bigger discount by committing to a year.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:52 PM

Announcement:

Hello fellow SD's. I have received great advice from several forum members here and I am grateful for your help. I have been discussing my move for months now but have had no luck finding an ideal place......until now.

I found a SF Home for rent in Imperial Beach close to the Coronado Peninsula. No HOA's proximity to a bus stop that leads to the trolley. Close to Tijuana Cornado Peninsula downtown ferry etc. Bike paths surfing camp estuary Etc.

It will be a great place for me to get my feet wet before I someday venture up to North County. I wanted to be in Encinitas West of I5 but there just weren't many options online. I need to be there with my boots on the ground.

I will view the house this coming tuesday. As long as it looks like it does in the pictures...I'm IN !

I look forward to being a resident of SD Imperial Beach and with such close proximity to Mexico....I now consider myself a mexican national !

Thanks For The Help.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:35 PM

Awesome, good to have you on this side of the border!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego