Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 01:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,668 times

Advertisements

I lived in Hollywood for a year and a half and now I'm thinking of moving to San Diego, although I've never been. I have a few questions:

What's the music scene like? I make music and I'd like to form a band. Is San Diego a good place for that?
Which is the best area to live for a young 20-something female?
Where are the urban/hipster/diverse areas?

Should I stay in LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 09:44 AM

745 posts, read 1,564,871 times
Northpark is one you might enjoy. Southpark is another but Northpark is much more active with night life.

I can't make comments on the music scene. I haven't found one here I like but my tastes run to piano bars with Broadway show tunes and classics. I haven't found anything here to compare to what we had in Sacramento with Gayiel Von and Jim Jordan. They were a magical team who offered piano bar, cabaret, brought in great talents like Ellen Greene and super talented local kids, put on special events with Sacramento Ballet which combined dance with Sondheim. It was right up my alley. Haven't found anything like it here but I'm pretty sure that would not be the music scene you are looking for.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:50 AM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 792,929 times
Northpark does seem to be the center of the Hipsterverse down here.

As for the music scene . . .I think you need to spend a few weekends down here and check it out for yourself. I would say it's a decent scene for the casual musician - I play bass and I had no problem finding good gigging bands via Craigslist . . but if you are serious about making music as a career, I'd probably look elsewhere. The venues down here don't seem all that interested in showcasing/nurturing talent . . their main (only?) criteria for booking a band is "can you bring a good crowd of drinkers?" That's true to a certain extent everywhere, but I get the feeling the Hollywood scene is much more vibrant.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:41 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,908,674 times
It's not known for it's music scene, but there are pockets here and there. I've spent the last few months in Austin & Nashville and those places are a musicians dream, a music fans dream, etc and moreso Austin, but Nashville has a decent scene as well. SD is nowhere near those places. If you just want to jam now and again, go see a show now and again, but love the beach and the laid back SD lifestyle, you will be fine. But if you're looking for a great music scene, you won't find one.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:15 PM

38 posts, read 56,003 times
The villages around Balboa Park and even downtown are great for music scenes. Music goes hand in hand with the overall vibe of the city and you'll find good music is respected. Playing at good venues can give you wide exposure and in a city of three million having social media exposure can get you very far. Other hip areas are going to be your La Jolla, Encinitas, Del Mar, Solana Beach cities. The Belly Up Tavern in Solana Beach is actually the largest music venue in North County and they have big names play there every once in a while, it's a very indie/alternative/rock scene.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:16 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,619,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbijordan View Post
I lived in Hollywood for a year and a half and now I'm thinking of moving to San Diego, although I've never been.
I have some family and long time friends in San Diego. You live in Hollywood? San Diego is about a two hour drive. It would be worth your time to go down for a few days. A lot depends on you, whether you will like it or not. I am quite a bit older than you. A few threads on the discussion may help you consider, but still worth the trip, in my opinion:
Music Scene in SD
What's The Music Scene Like?
San Diego Live Music Scene.
San Diego Music Scene
Music Scene: Ecclectic? Interesting?
music scene

Old 10-29-2014, 09:07 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,019,168 times
The Casbah in Little Italy and The Belly Up in Solana Beach. Check em out.

http://www.casbahmusic.com/
http://bellyup.com/

Old 10-29-2014, 09:33 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,839,944 times
I play in a local band and there are lots of smaller venues to hit. The Casbah and Belly Up mentioned by others are indeed among the premier music venues in town, and therefore very hard to break into. But there are hundreds of smaller bars, clubs, venues, even restaurant-bars where musicians are making ends meet playing gigs. We are based in Coastal North County and stay pretty busy with those types of gigs 4-5 times a month.
Is it LA? No. Lots of bands still make the move up to LA for more opportunities. If you're really looking to make a career out of it, LA is probably the better choice. But is there enough of a music scene in SD for a dedicated musician to make ends meet? Yes.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:17 PM

74 posts, read 89,210 times
North Park has a high rate a sexual assaults against women

Old 10-29-2014, 04:28 PM

9,523 posts, read 30,409,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Is it LA? No. Lots of bands still make the move up to LA for more opportunities. If you're really looking to make a career out of it, LA is probably the better choice. But is there enough of a music scene in SD for a dedicated musician to make ends meet? Yes.
^^ this

if your goal is to be in the professional music business of any kind - from playing in a symphony to being in a rock band to recording engineer to licensing music for commercials, San Diego is not the place to go. If you are looking for fun places to enjoy or play live music, we have a wide, if not terribly diverse variety within our small scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego