U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 01-02-2008, 09:23 AM

465 posts, read 1,607,966 times
Smile Areas to avoid in San Diego...

Hi, a friend and I are seriously considering moving to San Diego and are wondering what the areas are in San Diego to avoid. We don't want to live anywhere that is not safe. We are both single, she is a Regional Marketing Director for Motorola's Corporate office and I am a Registered Nurse; so we are willing pay to be in a safe area. Close to the marina or the beach would be great, although I know the closer you are to water, the more money. We each want our own place, we will not be roommates. We want a two bedroom perferably, each.

Unread 01-02-2008, 07:55 PM

87 posts, read 428,072 times
Coming from a local myself, the ARMPIT cess pool area's to avoid are Logan Heights, Sherman Heights, Shelltown, City Heights, National City, Skyline, Lomita Village, Barrio Logan, West Lemon Grove, Encanto, El Cajon Blvd starting from 70th Street to Park Blvd. All of University Ave from La Mesa all through SD City. University Heights, Paradise Hills, Spring Valley, Oak Park, Southcrest, Mount Hope, Chollas View, Mountain View, Memorial, Rolando, Any where along Home Ave, Euclid, Federal Blvd, Lincoln Park, Emerald Hills, Valencia Park, Alta Vista, North Bay Terraces, South Bay Terraces and all of East San Diego. The Area's listed are gang and drug infested. They're what make a top majority of SD's crime rate. Other than that you're perfectly fine!

Unread 01-02-2008, 11:57 PM

2,876 posts, read 6,056,480 times
University Heights and Rolando are NOT armpit, cesspool areas.

And University Avenue when it reaches North Park/Hillcrest has real street life. That's not for everyone and probably not for the OP, but it isn't a cesspool or an armpit.

You will have to elaborate more on what you mean by East San Diego, because that includes City Heights and Rolando, which you listed but it could also include College Area, El Cerrito, Talmadge, and Kensington.

I will give you credit though for not issuing the blanket, "Everywhere south of I-8" statements that are pure bunk.

Unread 01-03-2008, 12:09 AM

87 posts, read 428,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
University Heights and Rolando are NOT armpit, cesspool areas.

And University Avenue when it reaches North Park/Hillcrest has real street life. That's not for everyone and probably not for the OP, but it isn't a cesspool or an armpit.

You will have to elaborate more on what you mean by East San Diego, because that includes City Heights and Rolando, which you listed but it could also include College Area, El Cerrito, Talmadge, and Kensington.

I will give you credit though for not issuing the blanket, "Everywhere south of I-8" statements that are pure bunk.

City Heights is a total dump! University Heights is a total dump. Everything south of the 8 and all of East SD is nothing but gang bangers walking around with rags on their heads and drugged out homeless people everywhere. You can't try to sugar coat the well known Ghetto's in SD. Those area's are filthy and dirty and most of the buildings and homes are decrepit. Every SD native as myself knows those are the slum area's in the city. Sorry it's reality. Not trying to offend you.

Unread 01-03-2008, 07:22 AM

7,050 posts, read 16,837,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal78 View Post
City Heights is a total dump! University Heights is a total dump. Everything south of the 8 and all of East SD is nothing but gang bangers walking around with rags on their heads and drugged out homeless people everywhere. You can't try to sugar coat the well known Ghetto's in SD. Those area's are filthy and dirty and most of the buildings and homes are decrepit. Every SD native as myself knows those are the slum area's in the city. Sorry it's reality. Not trying to offend you.
You don't even know what a ghetto is.

You're offending lots of people by your statements, whether you are trying to or not.

Unread 01-03-2008, 08:33 AM

153 posts, read 519,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal78 View Post
Coming from a local myself, the ARMPIT cess pool area's to avoid are Logan Heights, Sherman Heights, Shelltown, City Heights, National City, Skyline, Lomita Village, Barrio Logan, West Lemon Grove, Encanto, El Cajon Blvd starting from 70th Street to Park Blvd. All of University Ave from La Mesa all through SD City. University Heights, Paradise Hills, Spring Valley, Oak Park, Southcrest, Mount Hope, Chollas View, Mountain View, Memorial, Rolando, Any where along Home Ave, Euclid, Federal Blvd, Lincoln Park, Emerald Hills, Valencia Park, Alta Vista, North Bay Terraces, South Bay Terraces and all of East San Diego. The Area's listed are gang and drug infested. They're what make a top majority of SD's crime rate. Other than that you're perfectly fine!
you might as well say everything south of interstate 8!

Rolando? University Heights? C'mon now...

Wasn't Paradise Hills rated one of the safest communities in SD?

Unread 01-03-2008, 09:01 AM

465 posts, read 1,607,966 times
Thanks for he input. I didn't mean to start a debate about what areas really are bad. I've been surfing craigslist just to get an idea about apartment cost to see what we were up against. The areas I've seen a lot of apartments in are Chula Vista, La Jolla, Little Italy, Downtown, Carlsbad, Oceanside and Escondido. I hope those are all nice. I just wonder if we would get more for our money out in a nice suburban area, verses so close to San Diego itself.

Unread 01-03-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
Thanks for he input. I didn't mean to start a debate about what areas really are bad. I've been surfing craigslist just to get an idea about apartment cost to see what we were up against. The areas I've seen a lot of apartments in are Chula Vista, La Jolla, Little Italy, Downtown, Carlsbad, Oceanside and Escondido. I hope those are all nice. I just wonder if we would get more for our money out in a nice suburban area, verses so close to San Diego itself.
There are very few areas that you truly don't want to live in, and you will take one look at them and decide for yourself. Don't listen to people who discount wide swaths of a city out-of-hand but often have little experience ever actually visiting those places. Some of the neighborhoods on his list are high crime areas, some are not. San Diego, in general, is a safe city with a few hot spots for crime that are generally easy to avoid.

Of the areas you mentioned, there are some rough spots in O'side and Escondido, and Chula Vista, but there are excellent areas in those cities too.

It all depends what you want. Little Italy or Downtown is urban. La Jolla and Carlsbad are wealthy beaches. Escondido or Oceanside is a far-flung suburb.

San Diego is not Philly or Baltimore with large entrenched high-crime neighborhoods. San Diego had 58 murders last year and the vast majority occurred in the same few places - Southeast San Diego (south of the 94 freeway, north of 54) and in City Heights (the central SD neighborhood between 805 and about 54th street between 8 and 94). North of 94, West of 805 and East of 54th, you can count the murder total on one hand.

Unread 01-03-2008, 12:28 PM

841 posts, read 4,343,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
You don't even know what a ghetto is.

You're offending lots of people by your statements, whether you are trying to or not.

Most of those areas he listed are, by California/Westcoast standards, "ghetto".

Southeast is the South Central of San Diego (but not as bad as South Central). I think it was in 2006, Southeast had about half of the 60+ homicides in the city. Let's be honest, there are a few areas that look like s*** making you think you're in TJ.

If you want to be close to the beach and in a safe area, you'll be looking at high rent prices.

Unread 01-03-2008, 12:31 PM

Flickr: The Rolando Village Pool (http://www.flickr.com/groups/rolandovillage/pool/ - broken link)

Some pictures of my neighborhood, in "the ghetto". You can decide whether or not it looks like TJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego