Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2014, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,244 times

Advertisements

Guys, I need a little help here exploring my options for living arrangements and locations so i thought i'd asked some of you more experience types for advice.

What area of town, neighborhoods, etc would you recommend that a middle age divorced man live who is now back on the "dating" market? What is a decent price range for an apartment? Share a house/condo?

I'm not looking to buy right now and would just like to get the most bang for the buck for housing without living to far away from active social areas (like not too surburban). Assume gross salary in mid 80K with retirement plans covered.

I'm familiar with SD since i've traveled here several times for business, but i don't know all the areas in the county. I'm open to north county too but honestly, not much difference between carlsbad and mission valley in terms of price range, at least imho. but i'm certainly open to new info.

Many thanks for your help.

p.s.: I know this is a "quality problem" for some, so forgive me if my situation bothers you. I'd trade places to be happily married with kids.

p.p.s.: feel free to throw in any dating intelligence info for what it's like dating here for guys my age. still would be nice to end up married with kids, but honestly not marriage inclined for the foresseable future.

Last edited by hankmoodie; 11-14-2014 at 09:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 10:02 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,063 times
80K is a nice salary, and you will only be supporting yourself.

A good way to start is to tell us where your job is located. There are many nice areas to choose from, but you don't want to fall in love with a suggestion to live in a particular area to find that it means your commute will be an hour each way.

Also, do you have a housing budget you would like to stay in? Are looking for an apartment, condo, cottage, etc.? There are people from all over the county here, so you will get good feedback once we have a little more info.

ETA: Nice screen name. I miss that show.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,244 times
Thanks for the reply. I'd like my housing and utilities to be under $2000, sonai guess $1600-$1800 for a rentsl unit. My work is North County but there's the possibility of working near downtown in a couple of years but I guess I can relocate again when that comes up. Ideally a 2BR where i can use a room as office space/guest room but I'm open to nixing that idea based on location convenice and opportunties.

I'm trying to do a bit of downgrading without compromising too much of my living standards. I'm a professional and an older guy who wants to enjoy San Diego so not interested in living in a garage apartment. i've thought about sharing a house/condo with someone else but it can be difficult to find compatible roommates, but maybe i just need to check it out.

Last edited by hankmoodie; 11-15-2014 at 12:03 PM..

Old 11-16-2014, 12:08 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
I think Hank we find the person we belong with by not compromising on what we do not want. Looking for another person, the one person who has the qualities which make you smile is not complex, it just takes time. If you want to go out and have fun by all means vas y but if you want one person for whom you would give your all, then don't compromise. That is the way I did it. I had to wait 28 years but when I met her, I knew it, jumped off the branch towards her....we are now married and each day I am glad that I did not accept what I did not want.

Trust yourself, your intuition and your common sense on the housing thing.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego