Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 06:19 PM

7 posts, read 31,495 times

Advertisements

I definitely don't get that whole SD is a hookup scene... I think if you portray yourself in a certain way, and you are looking for it, then maybe SD is easier to "get laid" than other cities... i think most cities by the beach are like that. But if you're looking for just a decent time, or a night at the pub with a good burger, or whatever... SD definitely has that. The longer you stay here the more you know where to find places like that... Every city has the "get laid here" bar... the "get drugs here" bar... yadda yadda. But it is true, TJ sure does make it easy to get laid if you're striking out i suppose. Thats everywhere too but i would imagine going to TJ is a lot easier than however it works other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 06:23 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliLou View Post
... Every city has the "get laid here" bar... the "get drugs here" bar... yadda yadda. But it is true, TJ sure does make it easy to get laid if you're striking out i suppose. Thats everywhere too but i would imagine going to TJ is a lot easier than however it works other places.
The "Get Laid Here Bar"... hmmm that has interesting marketing possibilities. CaliLou if you don't copyright that maybe I should.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:07 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Would you please provide us with a list of Metro areas of at least 3 million people that are able to fullfill the criteria you've listed above?
The problem isn't so much with the physical geography of SD, although it has been developed carelessly and destructively in the past 15 years, the city itself is pretty nice for it's size. It does pale in comparison to what it was 15 years ago, back then it truely was a clean little surfer paradise. I will admit that this city is better than many in these regards. Although it really is a little too big for my tastes in general nowadays.

BUT, the big problems with SD aren't with the geography, or the actual city itself. In fact, if you took all the people out of SD it would be very nice indeed.

The problems are with the people, the way society operates here, the politics at work in this city, the high cost of living which creates side-effects like crime, drug dealing, gangs etc., the sleaziness and mindless sex-driven attitude of most people, the rudeness and disrespect, the competition, the way everyone tries to dominate each other on the freeways, the tacky flaunting of wealth, the shallow use of cars and trucks as status symbols, the ego-mania, the conformity,

The plastic, hair gelled, make-up plastered, trendy, fake, glamorous image most people conform to here (and then they think that they're better because they are in on this masquerade), the huge and obvious inequality between the rich and poor and the seperatism that goes along with it, the passive-aggressive, pompous attitude of people on the streets when you walk by them, the instant-gratification that people demand here with just about everything, the sense of entitlement in which everyone thinks they need the best of everything at all costs, the greed, the money-frenzy, the materialism and lack of spiritual depth, the mindlessly destructive lifestyle of most people the epitomizes stereotypical American over-consumption, the strict laws and rules at play in this city. he fact that people drive around in huge trucks and Hummers that they absolutely don't need in this warm, urban setting.

I could keep going on and on.......

But it's the society and people around here that make this city very hard to live in for some people. If you are wealthy or pretty well off, it's very easy to overcome these things and avoid them completely. In fact, the set-up of this city is FOR wealthy people really, and that's the biggest problem. This might be one of the hardest places in the country to make it unless you are already well established.

The reason why I moved to SD in the first place is because of the city's beauty. But now all the problems that I just listed are making it very obvious that this city is a losing deal for someone in my position, with my personality. Maybe i'll come back when i'm a millionare and then I can join in on the shallow display of status symbols and hedonistic conspicuous consumption......

That's the main thing that is so hedonistic about this place. The total obsession with materialism, cars, money, property, power, sex-appeal, etc. and the fact that everyone feels the need to flaunt it so hard and compete with it.

That energy makes it really hard to be mellow, humble and spiritual, or live a virtuous life. Because the environment around here is just the opposite. Many people around here are just TOTAL sell-outs and their entire life is fake. They're so deep in it that they don't even see it when they look in the mirror, pathetic......

Other cities I like better? Portland, Seattle, Denver, the Bay Area, Boise. But that's just my opinion, these cities all have thier own downsides too and I realize that. Lot's of these cities probobly aren't rich and cosmopolitan enough for the average San Diegan, but that's probobly why I like them more. People don't flaunt their wealth and bodies too much in a lot of these places, and there isn't muc of a culture of elitist snobs in some of these, which might make them "boring" or "unsophisticated", but I'll take it over this phony So-Cal insanity.

I can't wait to actually be able to save money and be in a somewhat nice living space. And get away from this intense greed and materialism. Get awayfrom the plastic people and their offensive arrogance.

Last edited by FunkyMonk; 01-03-2008 at 07:15 PM..

Old 01-04-2008, 11:19 AM

6 posts, read 45,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
The problem isn't so much with the physical geography of SD, although it has been developed carelessly and destructively in the past 15 years, the city itself is pretty nice for it's size. It does pale in comparison to what it was 15 years ago, back then it truely was a clean little surfer paradise.
Monk,

I wouldn't go so far as to call SD a "clean little surfer paradise" 15 years ago. It was a full fledged metropolitan city. Granted, developement has been all over, but it hasn't grown that much. The population is growning not much faster than the overall population, so developement can't be that extreme.

I thought SD 15 years ago isn't too dramatically different than it is now.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:49 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,155 times
I find these threads interesting where SD is portrayed as a hedonistic, get-laid, plastic mecca.

Where are you all hanging out that this is what you encounter?

I think that one can find pockets of something that's just about perfect anywhere you live - I've lived in Staten Island, Manhattan, San Antonio, Buffalo, Santa Barbara, San Diego and now Carlsbad. I've found snobby, rude, inconsiderate and selfish people in all those cities. And I've also found people who are the salt of the earth in each of those places and those are the people I've chosen to spend time with and cultivate friendships with.

Sure - there are places I'd rather not return to like Ft. Smith, AR (just not my cup of tea) but I find it difficult to lump an entire community into a labeled box marked "negative" because there ARE always positives to be found.

Having traveled all over the US, I think you will find that every city/every town has their own version of sophisticated snobbery - no matter how dinky a town is in comparison to a city like San Diego. Believe me - I've seen it and had to sit through many a "grin & bear" it dinner listening to people wax poetic about how great they are and how much money they make.

Quote:
Portland, Seattle, Denver, the Bay Area, Boise. But that's just my opinion, these cities all have thier own downsides too and I realize that. Lot's of these cities probobly aren't rich and cosmopolitan enough for the average San Diegan, but that's probobly why I like them more.
I've spent time in all these cities except Boise. I don't know how one could say that Portland, Seattle, Denver and the Bay Area aren't rich or cosmopolitan enough for the average San Diegan. I consider myself an average San Diegan and I can say from experience that those areas certainly have their fair share of upscale everything. San Diego can't hold a candle to the luxury shopping/boutiques in Seattle or the Bay Area's San Francisco. Neither can SD compete with the grande dame hotels in those cities - (we have so many flash in the pan hotels and restaurants here!) or the San Francisco Opera, San Francisco Symphony or Seattle Symphony (well - SD is getting there what with the new music director).

It sounds like I'm knocking SD - but I'm not. SD has its positives and negatives and because we will be raising our family here, we've chosen to find/take the best that we can in this city. I don't know - I think it's all relative and I really can't understand why there are so many threads that continue to compare SD to other cities.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:06 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulDeb View Post
Since you go to SDSU can you tell me exactly how hard is it to get into that school. My daughter applied from out of state and I hear they got 61,000 applications this year. She is desperate to go there as we will be moving to SD and living in La Jolla/UTC only 20 minutes away.
Do you have your address in SD figured out yet? It'd REALLY help if you did... not only for cost, but it's a good deal easier to get into for SD locals as part of a "serving the community" deal.

Quote:
Portland, Seattle, Denver, the Bay Area, Boise. But that's just my opinion, these cities all have thier own downsides too and I realize that. Lot's of these cities probobly aren't rich and cosmopolitan enough for the average San Diegan, but that's probobly why I like them more.
I'd say the Bay Area as a whole is quite a bit more of both compared to San Diego... maybe a bit too much for the average San Diegan. Individual cities within the Bay Area itself, though, ya, plenty of crappy ones, but they're still astronomically expensive, and may seem to have a higher density of slums since the Bay Area's a whole lot bigger than San Diego.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:00 AM

26 posts, read 57,597 times
Well I got in out of state, too...I had a 3.8 GPA and an 1120 on the SAT so I dunno how that matches with hers. If she has a good GPA or did well on the SAT, she should be fine. The school is getting harder to get into each year and it's getting pretty big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulDeb View Post
Since you go to SDSU can you tell me exactly how hard is it to get into that school. My daughter applied from out of state and I hear they got 61,000 applications this year. She is desperate to go there as we will be moving to SD and living in La Jolla/UTC only 20 minutes away.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
Do you have your address in SD figured out yet? It'd REALLY help if you did... not only for cost, but it's a good deal easier to get into for SD locals as part of a "serving the community" deal.

I'd say the Bay Area as a whole is quite a bit more of both compared to San Diego... maybe a bit too much for the average San Diegan. Individual cities within the Bay Area itself, though, ya, plenty of crappy ones, but they're still astronomically expensive, and may seem to have a higher density of slums since the Bay Area's a whole lot bigger than San Diego.
All of those cities I listed do have snobby parts and lots of posh stores. And there are people flaunting their wealth in these places, this is true of course. However in those cities, that snobby, yuppie vibe just isn't as strong. Many of the wealthy people in these cities don't try hard to flaunt it, they often even dress down it seems, and that don't play the game of socio-economic status like they do here in SD. The classism in SD is VERY strong and VERY obvious. And if you are one of the have-nots you're probobly very much aware of this.

When I go around SD, I see that this snobby vibe is the main vibe in SD that overshadows all the other things that are happening here. SD has a vibe that seems almost like slaves and masters. Poor workers shuffling around with rich people in the midst of it acting like they are superior in every possible way.

San Diego has a LOT of wealth and a lot of very wealthy people who flaunt it. And even the people who aren't wealthy try to emulate this way of life. I've met SO MANY people down here that live way beyond their means, steadily falling deep into debt, for new clothes, cars that are far more expensive than they need, and other luxeries that are meant for showing off. Status symbols, that's the game going on in this city.

Like my neighbor who drives a new Cadillac Escalade and is always buying all kinds of other stuff like expensive electronics. Always going out to the nicest places to eat. Trying to turn his place into a posh bachelor's pad. I figured he must be well-off from his lifestyle. Then I realized he actually works an entry-level position at Home Depot and he's plunging himself into debt, just to appear to be successful and live that Playboy life. That's what people in SD are all about. A competition of whose got the best and the most toys. So shallow, so pathetic.....people around here don't know how to just live a simple, humble life.

Even out in East County, which is far from being rich or exclusive, everyone tries to have the biggest, newest, nicest truck in a competeive way, it's so obvious, so phony, so pointless. Always gotta be a competition and show of materialism around here.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR23 View Post
How is sex so easy here? I go to SDSU and the women party and go crazy, but they won't just have sex with you for no reason, especially if they just met you that night. Are you talking about downtown and PB? I've heard mixed things, i.e., that girls are the exact opposite of what you've said.
I'm talking about most of the entire metro. The beaches, South Bay, East County, just about the entire ity of SD with the exception of the extremely wealthy and affluent areas. But god only knows what the people have going on there. Actually I could tell a few rather interesting stories.......

I've moved all around the western U.S. a lot, and i've NEVER seen freakier things going on than in SD. This is a sex-driven city, much moreso than others. Almost every single time i've ever hung out with a girl, the sex is just out there and waiting, should I choose to sieze the opportunity. Even if we just met that day, even if it's a girl with a personality totally different from me and we aren't clicking at all, EVEN IF THEY HAVE A BOYFRIEND OR EVEN A HUSBAND, they're still just ready for it based purely on physical attraction. Maybe it's just me that has this sort of experience here, but the things i've seen and stories i've heard make me believe that yes, SD is like one big orgy.

And most women seem to actually want one night stands, with no qualms about having sex with someone and losing all contact the next day. There's a sort of emotional detachment about dating here, like there's the common understanding that everyone's just here to have a good time and not get serious. And the men here are some of the sleaziest STD ridden guys i've ever seen. Total players, total ****-brains. I've met so many guys here that go through a couple women every single week. And they never have much of a problem finding their next target.

In the other cities i've lived in there seems to be more of a seduction factor, common ground needs to be established and then onto the sex. And a bad personality or saying the wrong thing can kill the mood fast. Here if the sexual attraction is there, that's all it takes. Nothing of any depth or intelligence needs to be said, just move right on in with it.

Some people all SDSU STDSU, cause of the STD factor. Yes, at SDSU people are very skanky. From what i've seen at least, it's a TOTAL hook-up school, but why not? We're in a hook-up city so it makes sense.

For all the reasons I listed in the beginning of this thread. San Diego is a skanky sex city. Of course that's just my opinion, and the opinion of lots of others around here. But a lot of people like and want that. For me, it's just a little too much.

Last edited by FunkyMonk; 01-05-2008 at 03:19 AM..

Old 01-05-2008, 03:04 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
My 2 cents worth...sorry, I can't resist:

When I was wrapping up high school in LA, it seemed that (1) the practical kids stayed in the area to attend college, often from their parents' home (me), (2) the brainier or more intellectual kids went up north (to Davis, Berkeley, Santa Cruz or some of the private schools such as Santa Clara), and (3) the B.P.s (BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE) went to San Diego State, often to major in, you guessed it, communications or marketing !!! Yeah, baby.

Seriously, San Diego is gorgeous. I love going there. My best friend from college, after a divorce up in the LA area, got a transfer to the SD office of his company. I go to visit him. I'm good at getting the pulse of things and have never thought I would fit in there, so I spare myself the aggravation of considering it as a place to which I could have/should have moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego