U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-03-2008, 04:26 PM

800 posts, read 2,994,079 times
Default Traveling to San Diego--any Advice?

I'm going to come to your beautiful city with my hubby this month for partial business and some fun too

I've never been south of Dana Point in my Southern CA travels LOL, so I'm excited

We have a couple of days and a couple of half days to enjoy San Diego. We'll be staying in San Diego (old town area) for the duration of our visit...

I was thinking of beach time of course (no swimming this time of year in January I know)...Also, want to head to the San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, possibly Sea World, and see the Gaslamp Quarter too.

We aren't looking to do the upscale shopping or food thing either. But, we do like to shop Hubby may bring his wetsuit to surf, but not sure

Just wondered if there are any recommendations or advice? (please, no rude comments or negativity--thanks).

Hugs,
AB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 04:55 PM

2,915 posts, read 6,324,132 times
I've been to the zoo, and if you are particularly fond of zoos, you will find it enjoyable. However, if your going to the zoo because it's the "San Diego Zoo" what you may find is that after about 2 hours of walking around your feet are hurting and you're beginning to get cranky. Just my experience at the zoo when I went something odd years ago - never have needed to go back. Sorry about that bit of negativity.

I love the architecture in Balboa Park's Prado area. Plus there are more places to sit down. Maybe you could buy some lunch at a hole-in-the-wall Mexican place and take it with you.

When you're down in the Gaslamp also walk Harbor Drive for a view of the bay. You may also want to consider a harbor tour, or a tour of the Midway Aircraft Carrier musuem - probably more of a guy thing, but you could use that as a bargaining chip with your husband.

Definitely hit some beaches. Coronado is wide and covered with white sand. You can find and take home small seashells if you are into that. Blacks beach requires climbing down a cliff face, (there's a trail) is clothing optional (those who go without clothes are the ones who should remain covered), and has black sand. However, if you go to Blacks Beach and see a naked person you will have a story to tell when you get back home. Sunset cliffs is scenic, Pacific Beach is a party, (weekends only this time of year), Torrey Pines, Carlsbad, and many others beaches are pleasant. Others will have to tell you which areas have the best surf spots. I've seen surfers at PB, Blacks, Carlsbad and Sunset Cliffs - though the Cliffs are only for the experts.

You said you weren't interested in the upscale food thing, but the Poseidon Restaurant in Del Mar is right on the beach. You might want to give that a try if you want to combine the beach in winter with a meal. Plus, if it's a winter storm day, it can get quite exciting there as the waves crest the sea wall.

If you want to experience San Diego urban life you might try a picnic in Presidio park, up the hill from Old Town, but then be sure to drive or walk around the Mission Hills neighborhood. Enjoy the old time neighborhood feel with the craftsman homes, small streets, and walkable scale.

My 2 cents - have a great time!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:44 PM

181 posts, read 601,442 times
I agree with the last reply...for the most part, although I always enjoy going to the zoo-especially in winter on a weekday when there arnt so many people. But it is true that you better be prepared for a hike, and like looking at animals, else you wont enjoy it. I also love going to sea world, there is a lot more to do there than just look at animals, and they have some good bbq places for lunch. I know that Carlsbad has gentle surf, and a lot of surfers also like Encinitas-swamis beach is one of the most famous surf spots in the area. Well have fun.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:10 PM

5,262 posts, read 4,204,628 times
I would definitely visit La Jolla Cove.

It's the most beautiful beach in all of San Diego. The scenery is spectacular.

Best time to go is during the daytime, and bring a camera!

It also has a very nice shopping area with small shops, art galleries, restaurants, within a short walk from the beach.

There is also a small beach walking distance from the Cove called the Children's Pool, where sea lions come to the shore, and bask in the sun.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:21 PM

215 posts, read 538,098 times
To add on to the La Jolla Cove suggestion, you can go kayaking there, and/or walk to the nearby gelato shop and take it with you to one of the nearby benches directly overlooking the ocean. One of my favorite things to do.

For shopping, visit Horton Plaza in downtown. On the very first floor (across the street, next to the NBC studios), there's a little ice skating rink at this time. Check it out.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:11 PM

5,262 posts, read 4,204,628 times
Another thing to mention about La Jolla Cove is to wear comfortable walking shoes.

Many people like to walk/climb along the rocky areas near the shoreline.

Some of your most scenic photos can be captured from these rocky spots.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:03 AM

990 posts, read 1,045,988 times
Ah partial business traveler. I've traveled here from Chicago on business for some time (Wife has met me out here on numerous occasions) and most of this advice is great. Just a few points for emphasis
> My wife and I liked Torrey Pines. Its easy to get to, provides good scenery, and beaches. We're not big hikers, so this was a good place, since it had novice friendly trails.
> I third the recommendation for La Jolla Cove.
> Try some Mexican food. Troll the boards here are these are some good rec's. At least grab a late night carne asada burrito as some divey looking joint.
> While you're at it, have a Fish taco (fried), outdoors
> I split my time at Pacific Beach/Gaslamp for partying. Two different scenes. PB felt a little more young, collegy, rowdy. Gaslamp had more upscale clubs, lounges. Pick your poison; i had fun in both places.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:56 PM

800 posts, read 2,994,079 times
Hugs and thanks! These are really great suggestions! Thank you so much!

We're super physically fit, so we're used to lots of walking, etc.

I'll let ya know how it went

Hugs,
AB

Old 01-09-2008, 05:43 PM

1,505 posts, read 3,445,752 times
Definitely go kayaking in La Jolla!! I went in September and it was incredible. Physically draining a bit (I'm not very fit lol), but boy what views. And we got to see bottom feeding sharks and sea lions. It was great, definitely something I'll remember forever. The water however, is freezing, even more so at this time of year I would imagine.

About the Zoo.. I went a couple of years ago, and it was nice. Nothing out of this world, but nice and worth a visit at least once. Heck of a walk, but if youre up for it, then I say go. It'll be a few hours well spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego