Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 08:55 PM

3 posts, read 5,092 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I'm a 25 year old high school dropout from Georgia who is moving to San diego next month. I have wanted to enroll in nursing school my whole life and now I finally can.

Here's my plight:

I can't seem to find a 2 year associates program like we have here. Most of the nurses I know here went to a 2 year program and then started working while they got their bachelors. All I can seem to find is bachelors programs. Grossmont college seems to have an associates in nursing but they don't say they accept a GED?

I have been out of school nearly 10 years so I have no idea what I'm doing. Any help would've great! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 09:24 PM

521 posts, read 730,093 times
Try Kaplan College. They are private so more costly but you can get more financial aid. Also, while you do have to take an entrance exam, there is no wait list, whereas the jc's are usually a couple of years. It is accredited as well. I'm not sure about GED but you can call for more information.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:51 AM

15,116 posts, read 32,198,401 times
Kaplan College does accept GEDs. www.kaplancollege.com.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:13 AM

20,831 posts, read 17,017,677 times
The only way is to complete your GED and complete the prerequisites for nursing school. Those are typically found at the community college level. San Diego is one of the most competitive areas to get hired as a nurse. You will need to have a BSN. There are many community and private colleges which offer AS Degrees in Nursing. Sacramento has a couple and Reno has some as well. I would start with a check at the community college level and see what their requirements are.

As a nurse, may I ask why you want to work in the field?

Old 12-26-2014, 07:45 AM

521 posts, read 730,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
The only way is to complete your GED and complete the prerequisites for nursing school. Those are typically found at the community college level. San Diego is one of the most competitive areas to get hired as a nurse. You will need to have a BSN. There are many community and private colleges which offer AS Degrees in Nursing. Sacramento has a couple and Reno has some as well. I would start with a check at the community college level and see what their requirements are.

As a nurse, may I ask why you want to work in the field?
You can complete your prerequisites at Kaplan.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:25 AM

9,799 posts, read 11,473,839 times
There is a 2 year wait for Grossmont College and San Diego Community College. Sadly Grossmont/ROP are the cheapest ways to go.
Are you using a GI bill or are you paying out of pocket?
Try R.O.P nursing program.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:35 PM

3 posts, read 5,092 times
I would be getting student loans. I want to be a nurse because I spent some time in the hospital a year ago thanks to my heart and I got to see the job first hand. That's why I defided to finally go for it. I mostly would want to bypass the wait lists of anything.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonidee View Post
I would be getting student loans. I want to be a nurse because I spent some time in the hospital a year ago thanks to my heart and I got to see the job first hand. That's why I defided to finally go for it. I mostly would want to bypass the wait lists of anything.
Well it's a good idea to go to nursing school. You will need to determine if you have the prerequisites needed: Anatomy and Physiology, Biology and some others. Now the not so good news. You will need to wait unless you go to a private school. San Diego nursing schools are sought after and getting in requires the same skills you will need as a nurse, namely patience, smarts and looking around for options.

There are nursing schools in other states that do have lower waiting lists. You may want to think about that. Here in San Diego while you are completing your pre reqs you could work as a nurses aide or an EMT and work in the field. Nursing schools like this. I would encourage you to make a list of each and every nursing school here if you have not done so and call the Registrar make an appointment take a note pad and find out what each school would need to admit you.

Don't be discouraged. It's tough work, but after all so is being a nurse some times.

Good Luck to You.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:09 PM

6,485 posts, read 7,465,208 times
My wife is a 7 year RN professional graduated from City College. She has a good paying job with ZERO student debt from the start of her career.

Anecdotally, she says in her particular network of care, Sharp, the Associate Degree nurses are no longer being hired as much as they were last decade when she got in. Now that there is not a nursing shortage as there were in years past, hospitals are becoming more stringent with their hiring practices and looking for mostly Bachelor’s Degree Nurses.

OP, I hope I am not discouraging you by saying this. I am just letting you know the situation right now from my significant other's perspective.

She does mention that bi-lingual nurses are needed in SD County. There are many Spanish only (as well as other languages) speaking patients and very few nurses who speak Spanish, so language line translators are used quite a bit in hospitals as a result.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:17 PM

In the larger cities BSN is the guideline. Most private schools offer this. Good grades, interest and prerequisites are the way in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego