Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 10:57 AM

401 posts, read 444,578 times

Advertisements

Now that's magical. Kudos, sir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 11:13 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,447 times
That is magical. Marin and esp. Mill Valley is out of this world. I've not been there in years. Can only imagine it must cost a fortune to buy a house there these days.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:20 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post

On another thread topic elsewhere on CD we are talking about living without a privately owned car, and to me a city really starts coming into its own when it is both becoming a PITA to utilize a private vehicle throughout its core, and there are enough other convenient transportation options to take its place. While walking back to South Park from North Park after doing some Christmas shopping (a nice and easily doable four mile round trip) my partner and I were noticing the many forthcoming DecoBike racks along 30th; the evident and increasing bike lanes to support it; the #2 bus going uptown to downtown every 12 minutes; electric CarToGo cars zipping by; and the availability of Uber or Lyft a glance and a couple of taps away on your phone- got us thinking, you know? A tipping point is getting reached here. It is increasingly an option for more people to be able to ditch private car ownership and get by in this city. So that in itself is starting to manifest a more urban identity for San Diego.

I love San Francisco to visit but don't necessarily feel the need for San Diego to import it's scary Tenderloin and stinky streets. San Diego will grow up but I think will maintain its easy breezy, not so serious attitude for some time to come.
Interesting points. For the last few years that I've been in SD off and on (I tend to move a lot) I have been in the South Bay. About a month ago, I visited a friend in North Park and went by my old neighborhood in Normal Heights. I agree with you that SD's urban core is beginning to reach that tipping point. That bus 2 used to run every half hour. Now I can also get an express Rapid bus from downtown to Escondido. It used to take a half day to get to Escondido by bus. San Diego, at least the central core parts like North Park, Normal Heights and University Heights feels much more urban and vibrant that it once did, even a few years ago. I like it personally.

Now you mentioned SD not yet having it's version of the Tenderloin. Actually, that too is developing sadly. That area around the 12th and Imperial Trolley station up to about Island Ave. and National Ave and east to about 16th street is fast becoming San Diego's Tenderloin.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Yup, its all about density... which is why even though SJ is larger in terms of population, it is knowns as the San Francisco Bay Area as opposed to the San Jose Bay Area
Not quite. It's named after the bay which had the name San Francisco before the city did. SF was originally named Yerba Buena so it too took it's current name after the bay.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
San Francisco is going through a real change with the influx of tech employees pushing up rents and real estate. The Mission District, once a latino neighborhood, is being gentrified. Where there once were taquerias, mercados, and music stores there are now boutiques, clubs, and upscale restaurants.

I lived in the Bay Area --Palo Alto-- for over 40 years and left after retiring because I couldn't afford to live comfortably or drive from point A to point B relatively quickly.

San Diego has a healthy quality of life with citizens who aren't nearly as narcissistic and wealthy as their San Francisco counterparts.

Yes, the S.D. economy needs a booster shot, but it's not exactly moribund.

I enjoy living here and plan to stay for quite a while.
I agree, SD's economy needs a boost but hopefully not from the tech industry or SD will become and unaffordable as the Bay Area has.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:04 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,296,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Not quite. It's named after the bay which had the name San Francisco before the city did. SF was originally named Yerba Buena so it too took it's current name after the bay.
As an aside, I read somewhere that City Heights used to be part of a large unincorporated area that was going to be a city called Teralta. They finally just rolled it into San Diego.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:44 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
As an aside, I read somewhere that City Heights used to be part of a large unincorporated area that was going to be a city called Teralta. They finally just rolled it into San Diego.
It actually was a separate, incorporated city called East San Diego for about a decade from 1912 to 1923. Founded on the Golden Rule principles, there was no alcohol or gambling, it had its own police department and city hall and the speed limit was 25mph. All that remains of its existence is Boundary street.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:20 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Dutch:

I think the other cities comparisons point was aimed at me.

The point that Losfrisco made about not being 'vs' is taken but one should also note the development of the other outlying areas of the San Francisco Bay Area (note: not San Jose Bay Area, Silicon Valley Bay Area, etc) was accelerated and sprung from the initial existence and prominence of the region by San Francisco in the first place. This doesn't diminish SF's greatness or importance as a city as far as I am concerned.......SF remains a focal point--maybe not THE exclusive focal point any longer-- of the region....the question I have to ask is where is the focal point of San Diego? (downtown, Kearny Mesa, La Jolla, elsewhere???)....until there is one, it will maintain its 'small city' or "city with a small town feel" identity--which is fine by many.
But LA is "700 suburbs in search of a city". So I'm not sure it's lack of a focal point that matters. Possibly the age of it? Both SF and LA developed into major population centers many decades earlier than San Diego did.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
That's true for a lot of San Diego's communities. Same with LA.

My reason for pointing that out is because many think that the metro is named for the city of San Francisco when they hear "San Francisco Bay Area". The bay was called "San Francisco Bay" before the city was called San Francisco. San Francisco took its name from the bay, not the other way around.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:27 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
Shucks. I don't think one can compare the two cities. Both have merits and issues. We hit Marin thrice a year and stay in Larkspur. Marin Country Market some of the coolest and best restaurants, ferry to SF and museums. Molly Stones Market,. We were rained in mid December last and we had a great time just hanging out in Marin coffee shops, bakeries and the international friends we made. Special place.

My take:

SF. Room for everyone

SD. Raise your kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego