Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 07:59 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times

Advertisements

SD has barely grown in population in 10 years, plus it's not like people are moving here in droves because of career opportunities, the growth is mainly coming from new births, and rich, well off people looking to retire here because of the weather and beaches as they are only ones that are willing to pay the price to live in SD.

I believe in the very near future when SD's housing and rent prices get to the point where even working an average middle class salary won't allow you to afford rent and be able to put food on the table, is actually going to balance out the population growth and keep it steady as thousands of San Diegans will be leaving the state and city altogether in search for more affordable places to live. This is what I plan on doing.

We ask ourselves, how do we solve the homeless problem? Well how can we when the majority of the jobs these people work isn't even enough to pay for rent in many parts of the City and County. It doesn't matter how many great homeless programs we have here locally, it doesn't actually solve the problem when we have housing cost that is extremely out of reach with reality. So, at the end of the day, thousands will still be on streets as San Diego is running out of cheap places to live. There's no other way to solve this problem without the need to build thousands of new affordable housing units for everyone, including Houses, not just Apartments as an house or even Row Homes can house more people and is generally more relaxing to live in. It seems like nowadays owning an home with a backyard, a garage, with 4 bedrooms has become a luxury in California, when 50 years ago, that was the norm.

I've seen tiny 1930's bungalows in North Park, semi remodeled being sold for like $700,000!!!!! Are you effin kidding me??? Who the hell would pay that kind of money for such a tiny house in still an iffy gentrified neighborhood?? It's insane if you ask me. But we have idiots that will pay that kind of money as the value isn't there. You still have to worry about your car being broken into, or getting robbed on the street.

San Diego just like San Francisco is slowly becoming the home for the wealthy, the haves only. We are trying to de-ghettoiz our neighborhoods through the gentrification process which is purposely driven by city leaders and developers by redeveloping poor bad neighborhoods to make them trendy and hip so it can be slowly advertised as some kind of destination for the so called "cool" people. this has gotten way outta control in SD and is actually contributing to the loss of affordable housing that this city desperately needs, not anymore expensive condos!

San Diego is a city that has more low paying jobs than high paying ones. How and where are we going to house all these low wage workers? We still need these people to provide the services that we all enjoy, but it isn't right nor fair that we have become a city that so many residents are on the brink of being on the streets, and are overcrowding apartments and homes with multiple generations of families living in them as they literally have no other choice but to stick together for survival.

San Diego simple needs to cut up a lot of the empty canyon spaces around the county by redoing some zoning laws, I know many environmental laws prohibit such building, but the state and local leaders need to do something when so much open space off our freeways like the 52 for instance isn't being touched which could be ripe for development. You can only do so much urban landfilling, this will never be enough to accommodate another million people or so. Still lots of open land in SD County that we should take a look at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 10:01 PM

788 posts, read 1,877,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Some of us have lived in the "real world" for a long time, thank you. I grew up in a higher-density area than SD will ever be. Great public transportation systems. Nice mix of old and new buildings. Fine. Can be done (except it hasn't cured gridlock). But the level of aggression and lack of fellow-feeling in a high-density area is frightening, and I have no wish to have it descend upon me after having fled it years ago. Some of us simply prefer the open SoCal lifestyle and ambiance to the typical Back-East culture, or the madness that LA has become. And some people are moving to SD precisely because that's what they want, bless their hearts. So should we just shut up and put up with runaway urbanization? Why on earth? A civilized community thrives with the civil voicing of a diversity of opinions...
It's people like these who stop San Diego from doing anything progressive in the field of city planning. A bunch of transplants move here and dictate the direction of the city. WAKE UP. Behind the sunny skies and nice beaches food are thousands of people struggling to make a living here. Most of them are people actually from San Diego!

Just because you buy your way into San Diego doesn't entitle you to push everyone else out. San Diego has its fair share of problems and I prefer to address them than exclude and isolate people.

I don't want to become LA or an East Coast city. Try thinking outside the box. Why not look at actual model cities like Melboure, Brisbane, or Perth? Cities of comparable size, lifestyle, etc. They consistently rank at the top of quality of living indexes. In my opinion, San Diego has the potential to top this list if its citizens have the motivation and foresight to do so. Unfortunately, transplants stuck in 1970s suburban America have too much power and unrealistic expectations.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:50 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
SD has barely grown in population in 10 years, plus it's not like people are moving here in droves because of career opportunities, the growth is mainly coming from new births, and rich, well off people looking to retire here because of the weather and beaches as they are only ones that are willing to pay the price to live in SD.

I believe in the very near future when SD's housing and rent prices get to the point where even working an average middle class salary won't allow you to afford rent and be able to put food on the table, is actually going to balance out the population growth and keep it steady as thousands of San Diegans will be leaving the state and city altogether in search for more affordable places to live. This is what I plan on doing.

We ask ourselves, how do we solve the homeless problem? Well how can we when the majority of the jobs these people work isn't even enough to pay for rent in many parts of the City and County. It doesn't matter how many great homeless programs we have here locally, it doesn't actually solve the problem when we have housing cost that is extremely out of reach with reality. So, at the end of the day, thousands will still be on streets as San Diego is running out of cheap places to live. There's no other way to solve this problem without the need to build thousands of new affordable housing units for everyone, including Houses, not just Apartments as an house or even Row Homes can house more people and is generally more relaxing to live in. It seems like nowadays owning an home with a backyard, a garage, with 4 bedrooms has become a luxury in California, when 50 years ago, that was the norm.

I've seen tiny 1930's bungalows in North Park, semi remodeled being sold for like $700,000!!!!! Are you effin kidding me??? Who the hell would pay that kind of money for such a tiny house in still an iffy gentrified neighborhood?? It's insane if you ask me. But we have idiots that will pay that kind of money as the value isn't there. You still have to worry about your car being broken into, or getting robbed on the street.

San Diego just like San Francisco is slowly becoming the home for the wealthy, the haves only. We are trying to de-ghettoiz our neighborhoods through the gentrification process which is purposely driven by city leaders and developers by redeveloping poor bad neighborhoods to make them trendy and hip so it can be slowly advertised as some kind of destination for the so called "cool" people. this has gotten way outta control in SD and is actually contributing to the loss of affordable housing that this city desperately needs, not anymore expensive condos!

San Diego is a city that has more low paying jobs than high paying ones. How and where are we going to house all these low wage workers? We still need these people to provide the services that we all enjoy, but it isn't right nor fair that we have become a city that so many residents are on the brink of being on the streets, and are overcrowding apartments and homes with multiple generations of families living in them as they literally have no other choice but to stick together for survival.

San Diego simple needs to cut up a lot of the empty canyon spaces around the county by redoing some zoning laws, I know many environmental laws prohibit such building, but the state and local leaders need to do something when so much open space off our freeways like the 52 for instance isn't being touched which could be ripe for development. You can only do so much urban landfilling, this will never be enough to accommodate another million people or so. Still lots of open land in SD County that we should take a look at.
Good luck with that. We can't even put in a new landfill out in the sticks without the Courts being involved. Something like Rose Canyon will never get touched.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:56 PM

300 posts, read 329,377 times
Doubling in population by then?

Well, enjoy it. We'll be watching from a distance, surrounded by woods, and sitting on the shore of a river, watching the scenery.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:09 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
SD is not doubling in 15 years, it is growing at a fractional pace and will for some time. Immigration has slowed and Americans are moving around less and less. There is little if any job growth.

San Diego is already in a major deficit for quality housing and that keeps prices high. Unless there is some major new job growth source I'm not currently aware of, demand for housing is going to remain as it is now; primarily apartment complexes for the transient population of students, military, and tech workers, and luxury single family homes for high income families who can afford to live here.

There is still plenty of buildable land along the 56 and 15 corridors for a lot of housing. There are full block lots in downtown San Diego just waiting for high rises. The city is massively overbuilt with poor quality retail waiting to be turned into mixed use lofts and restaurants.

Until there are jobs, none of this will change quickly. It will change, just not quickly. That's just how San Diego is, always has been it seems. I think a lot of people like it that way and I think I'm among them.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 01-15-2015 at 10:24 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 01:24 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Idk about doubling, but a rapid urbanization of downtown would definitely help this. I like the idea of being compared to Australian cities though. They have some of the best downtowns on the planet, yet are definite beach cities with great suburbs. Nobody wants SD to turn into Manhattan or SF, but for the sake of humanity, don't let SD turn into LA. The world doesn't need another one.

If the city could ever build a new airport away from downtown and allow the skyline to grow vertically, I see no reason as to why SD can't become the Melbourne of Vancouver of the US. And if the city really is gonna grow that much, a new airport is gonna be needed. It's already the busiest single runway airport in the US.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:26 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman View Post
I have nothing against the car, but way too much thought and energy is spent on them, in my opinion.
Thus your screen name?

Old 01-16-2015, 08:40 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman View Post
They are in talks to redo the 163 interchange on Friar's.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist11/facts/163Friars.pdf

$120 million of taxpayer monies
I Drive this area everyday and yes, the 163 interchange on Friars needs to be dealt with in a major way!

Old 01-16-2015, 10:23 AM

6 posts, read 8,237 times
I feel this is a thread with a lot of city planners and possibly greed might be behind some of these posts....not sure. I was born in San Diego 52 years ago. It has changed SO much. There are more and more homeless people with signs on every corner. You cannot even take out your trash without someone asking for change or a smoke by another homeless person. 900 ft. goes for about 1400.00 a month unless you want to live FAR from the beach where all the drug addicts can afford to live.

I know there are a few areas like Carlsbad that are less riff-raffy....but they will end up like that too and FAST. It's a shame when every tourist falls in love with our fireworks every night and in their alcohol soaked vacation get the idea they never want to go home. Traffic is at LA proportions in many freeway instances already. There are people with NEW YORK attitudes picking on our laid back residents of decades. You can tell by the accents and pushiness. Our city is being wrecked and city planners and the tourist industry do not help. We have enough $, IF it was not all being spent on unemployed people who do not want to work at ALL. But do you have any idea how many people move here with NO JOB? It's crazy....Then our wonderful state gives them $ as they are homeless....I think we need to focus on taking care of our own and maybe be a bit more like Canada.....You can't just go there because they have great health care unless you are a nurse, doctor....or have SOMETHING to contribute.

It's supposed to be a vacation....GO HOME.....

Old 01-16-2015, 01:35 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinbobbin View Post
I feel this is a thread with a lot of city planners and possibly greed might be behind some of these posts....not sure. I was born in San Diego 52 years ago. It has changed SO much. There are more and more homeless people with signs on every corner. You cannot even take out your trash without someone asking for change or a smoke by another homeless person. 900 ft. goes for about 1400.00 a month unless you want to live FAR from the beach where all the drug addicts can afford to live.

I know there are a few areas like Carlsbad that are less riff-raffy....but they will end up like that too and FAST. It's a shame when every tourist falls in love with our fireworks every night and in their alcohol soaked vacation get the idea they never want to go home. Traffic is at LA proportions in many freeway instances already. There are people with NEW YORK attitudes picking on our laid back residents of decades. You can tell by the accents and pushiness. Our city is being wrecked and city planners and the tourist industry do not help. We have enough $, IF it was not all being spent on unemployed people who do not want to work at ALL. But do you have any idea how many people move here with NO JOB? It's crazy....Then our wonderful state gives them $ as they are homeless....I think we need to focus on taking care of our own and maybe be a bit more like Canada.....You can't just go there because they have great health care unless you are a nurse, doctor....or have SOMETHING to contribute.

It's supposed to be a vacation....GO HOME.....
I Kind of agree with most of what you said.
The Homeless Kind of always stayed in one part County, but now i see them branching out into the Burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego