Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2015, 02:27 AM

363 posts, read 433,079 times

Advertisements

I've never been to California, I've always lived in a very boring state NC. I've always wanted to visit California, and recently there's been so much stress and family problems that I've decided to take my mom to California. I want Southern California, mostly because of the weather. Anyway, I am in my mid 20s my mom is in her mid 60s and she enjoys nature and nice weather and beautiful views nature views in general.

I was wondering, are there any specific areas I can go where we can enjoy a beautiful view and relax and still convieniant enough for me to enjoy? Typically, I want to go to LA, but I figured San Diego even though a big city, it's still more settle and "laid back". So can anybody recommend areas where we can get a hotel, and enjoy what San Diego has to offer? what places would you recommend for a senior citizen to relax and enjoy? and are there hotels in places where renting a car isn't required to enjoy it?

I am not looking for an area where the view is like paradise, and I know there are many other alternative where I can take her beside California, but I've always wanted to visit, so that way I can do two things with one trip. Oh, and BTW, the budget is basically around $1100 or close to it I can spend up to $1500 but I hope to keep it below that, we're only going for 3-4 days the flight and hotel should be around $800-900.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 08:46 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Torrey Pines State Park, Cabrillo National Monument. Sunset Cliffs have nice views and not boring unless you are boring.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:54 AM

160 posts, read 94,139 times
I have also wanted to visit California all of my life and had the opportunity to do so with my daughter (she is also in her 20's and I am mid 50's) in November. It was just a quick visit (3 days, left Thursday and came home Sunday) in November and we chose to stay on Coronado, one of San Diego's beaches. On arrival, we did a drive up to Encinitas on the PCH, stopping in many beach towns ( Mission Beach, La Jolla) to get a feel for the coastline, enjoying the views and watching the surfers. Went to Sunset Cliffs on Point Loma also--amazing views. Actually did not spend much time in San Diego as it was very warm and we chose to spend our time Friday and Saturday on Coronado at the beach. Missed out on the San Diego Zoo but I was really there to see the coast. Love the beaches of NC and SC and have always wanted to see the Pacific. Look forward to going back one day to spend more time on the PCH. Flying direct out of Charlotte we arrived in the morning and it gave us the extra day to sight-see. We did splurge staying at the Hotel Marisol but there are other less expensive hotels on Coronado that would be fine. The Hotel Del is beautiful but you don't have to stay there (very pricey)--you can visit the shops there or eat if desired. You are probably going to be closer to your $1500 budget or a bit over--but it will be worth it! The biggest expenses obviously were the flight and hotel. We didn't splurge on food but enjoyed some really good meals--had fish tacos at a few places and they were delicious! Hope you get the chance to go!!

Old 01-10-2015, 03:23 PM

363 posts, read 433,079 times
Thanks for the advice. I've looked into Coronado, hotels are a bit more expensive there like you said. I've seen some nice looking hotels near places like Sea World and San Diego Zoo (even though I am not thinking about going to neither) I am probably going to rent a car anyway since it wasn't that much more expensive with a package deal. I am planning to visit
Coronado anyway.

Are there any areas or cities outside of San Deigo that aren't too far from there that I should see? I am planning to go on weekdays. Also, there will be times where my mom will not go out with me, so I was wondering are there any good areas that I should see for myself? preferbly boardwalks or places where I don't have to drive all the time, and just walk around.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:47 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
La Jolla Cove, Children's Pool with the seals is also recommended in addition to Torrey Pines State Park, Cabrillo National Monument, Sunset Cliffs.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:29 PM

147 posts, read 217,316 times
San Diego in general. La Jolla Cove like stated above is nice. Balboa Park is a lot of fun lots of different things there to do.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:04 AM

440 posts, read 533,592 times
I'm in my early 60's and love the beautiful views of San Diego. Most of my favorites are included above; my top choice for great views is Cabrillo National Monument. Absolutely go for a sunset at Sunset Cliffs. Torrey Pines is great if your mom is a bit active; I'm not an exerciser but really enjoyed the nature walks and views without too much effort. If you keep going north from Torrey Pines, you'll get to Del Mar which has a lovely park overlooking the public beach which is another one of my favorite views.

I also love walking the piers such as Ocean Beach. Or you can drive to the far end of Shelter Island, take a nice walk along the water, then go get a killer mai tai at Bali Hai. The boardwalk along Mission Beach to Pacific Beach should appeal to all ages. There's another pier in Pacific Beach, and some scenic low cliff views north of the pier.

In Balboa Park, I particularly enjoy wandering around the Spanish Village Art Center. It's close to the Botanical Building and Lily Pond. Then you can walk down El Prado (the mall) and see some of the gardens behind The Prado and Art Institute.

Go to C level on Harbor Island for happy hour one evening and see the great night views of downtown across the bay.

With only 3 or 4 days for your first visit, there is more than enough to see in San Diego so no real need to look for other towns - you don't want to spend too much time driving.

(BTW, we 60-somethings don't necessarily consider ourselves senior citizens yet! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego