Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 06:23 AM

5 posts, read 5,248 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could give some advice, or maybe someone who has been in my position.

I am hoping to move to America next year (Sept 2016) and by that stage I will have finished my Bsc hons Accounting Degree and have 6 years experience in an Accounts department (I'm currently in charge of Accounts payable), I will be 28 at that stage and plenty of money for the move. Reasons for moving is 1. Sick of the Irish weather 2. Never took the opportunity to go travelling 3. My friends are all getting married and having kids & I am most definitely not at that stage.

For Irish coming over I worry about getting an apartment or somewhere to live, will this be more difficult for me in my position? Do people in San Diego even like Irish people (I know some people hate us elsewhere) and have you come across many Irish out there?

Job wise, will I be at a disadvantage because I have not studied in America? I do plan on applying for jobs before moving or should I wait until I am over and maybe get bar work and apply when I am there. I have done Bar work before so this doesn't bother me.

Any advice or points in the right direction would be great!

Clare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 07:21 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
You will not be at a disadvantage with a degree from your country. That said it will be competitive and you will want to highlight your training and work and why that can "fit" with an employer here. Make a list of potential employers, visit websites and call the HR Department and chat with them about your goals. Since you are not a citizen of the USA (assumed) you will want to get on that without delay e.g. working in the US etc.

San Diego is sought after by many people so I would recommend a test trip here if you have not visited before. While there are costs to that, nothing can substitute for being here and looking around. During that trip you perhaps have previously made appointments with companies to meet and greet. I think actually that your background might be an asset to companies which have business in your area. I would play that up.

The culture here is definitely not Ireland. It's kind of bland next to the convivial community feel. My daughter studied in Sheffield and did her advanced degree there. While she did worry about the degree and applying for jobs it was the way she presented which got her the top flight job. However, they love Ireland and actually named a child an Irish name....so keep in mind with the dreary weather that your culture is far more eclectic and robust. You would probably get hired in an instant in an Irish Pub of which there are many here.

Work visa etc will be your main thing so you might want if not already done get on that now.

btw, the only people who hate the Irish are fat snobs. =)

Best of Luck.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:42 AM

Thank you so much for your quick reply,

I am planning a trip to a few american cities this summer and San Diego is our last stop,

I'm giving myself 18 months to plan and make sure I know what I'm getting into and if it is feasible for me, budget etc (very sensible for an Irish person lol)

Thank you so much for your help

Old 01-22-2015, 07:02 PM

788 posts, read 1,876,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareScully View Post
Hi guys,

Do people in San Diego even like Irish people (I know some people hate us elsewhere) and have you come across many Irish out there?
Americans in general love non-American English accents. You'll probably get a lot of (good) attention.

There aren't too many Irish people in San Diego, but there are a decent amount of Irish-Americans.

A forewarning: San Diego is a sunny place and it's not nice to fair Irish skin.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:33 PM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,099 times
Other than the usual job hunting difficulties that everyone faces you will not have any special problems if you come here. Americans love the Irish. After all, many of us have Irish ancestry.

The only thing I will say is to plan on having at least 3 (6 would be better) months living expenses IF you do not have a job when you come. And I mean living expenses for San Diego. The cost of living here tends to be very high and wages tend to be low in comparison. Here is a link that will give you some idea of what apartments rent for: Studio Apartments for Rent in San Diego, CA .

Old 01-22-2015, 10:38 PM

919 posts, read 847,880 times
You are going to score like mad The girls loooooove a European accent.
What visa are you coming on? If you come on a tourist visa, getting a job will be next to impossible. On a student visa, you can work for 20 hours on campus. On a work visa, you need to stay in the same job or a very close one if you get laid off.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
You are going to score like mad The girls loooooove a European accent.
What visa are you coming on? If you come on a tourist visa, getting a job will be next to impossible. On a student visa, you can work for 20 hours on campus. On a work visa, you need to stay in the same job or a very close one if you get laid off.
God I hope the guys like an Irish accent too lol! (I'm female in-case you haven't figured) Well my hope is to get a job before I go and get a H-1B VISA (SPECIALTY OCCUPATION). I think i would be safer doing it that way? I think I also would qualify for a J-1? To be honest they really confuse me but I've plenty of time to plan. Lets hope people with an accounts degree go into short supply eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
Americans in general love non-American English accents. You'll probably get a lot of (good) attention.

There aren't too many Irish people in San Diego, but there are a decent amount of Irish-Americans.

Fortunately for me, I didn't inherit the stereotypical Irish genes of pale skin, freckles and red hair, so the weather is a big plus point for me! I obviously am not coming over to meet Irish people, that would be silly, but I would like to have some Irish contacts just for comfort and support sometimes.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:26 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareScully View Post
God I hope the guys like an Irish accent too lol! (I'm female in-case you haven't figured) Well my hope is to get a job before I go and get a H-1B VISA (SPECIALTY OCCUPATION). I think i would be safer doing it that way? I think I also would qualify for a J-1? To be honest they really confuse me but I've plenty of time to plan. Lets hope people with an accounts degree go into short supply eh?
They're not in short supply, as far as I know. You might get some additional leverage if you emphasize your international experience. Do you speak any additional languages? That, also, might help.
Quote:

Fortunately for me, I didn't inherit the stereotypical Irish genes of pale skin, freckles and red hair, so the weather is a big plus point for me! I obviously am not coming over to meet Irish people, that would be silly, but I would like to have some Irish contacts just for comfort and support sometimes.
Lucky you! I inherited this from my mum, and it's a serious nuisance to deal with. Glad I never wanted to be a beach bunny ...

Old 01-23-2015, 09:43 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post

During the summer in Pacific Beach there are, a ton of Irish students/young adults seem to come to SD for the summer. I think a lot get jobs at Seaworld or something. But full-time, permanent residents yeah I don't think there are too many.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2...ish-invasion/#

lol@the pic in that link.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:22 PM

788 posts, read 1,876,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
During the summer in Pacific Beach there are, a ton of Irish students/young adults seem to come to SD for the summer. I think a lot get jobs at Seaworld or something. But full-time, permanent residents yeah I don't think there are too many.

Irish invasion | San Diego Reader

lol@the pic in that link.
Yes, a lot of young Irish come here for the summer to work at Seaworld, Legoland, etc. I worked with a few of them.

However, I wouldn't classify 100 Irish as a large constituency. Plus, they are only here for 3 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego