Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 08:14 PM

50,284 posts, read 47,032,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
It all depends on the school. Sometimes there's no room for CHOICE student or a neighborhood student in the grade they're enrolled in, and they get referred to the next school in that area that has space. I saw it many times.
I agree. But, we've never seen this depression thing before, or at least for a while. Some very good schools will have vacancies for quite a few years. LJ schools,PB and Clairemont schools are shrinking. This isn't normal but it is where we are and it will last a few years. I'm fairly certain someone can choice into the area for a few years without a doubt. Once you get your foot in the door I haven't heard of a rejection due to someone moving in local.

Case in point. Check out Clairemont High. A pretty good school for the area. They are moving students around, laying off Teachers and dealing with a greatly reduced headcount. They will take choice for sure but the Parents will have to be able to drive their kids to the school.

Give it a few years and the locals will fill in the schools. The busing mess is what caused this problem. Many schools in Clairemont have pretty poor scores due to years of busing kids in. Once the locals realize they can send their kids to local schools without worrying about bad overall school scores all the better. It takes a while.

Anyway. I choiced my kids into multiple different schools here no problemo May do it again next year. I'd prefer them to walk to school so maybe in a few years this busing mess will right itself and we can use our local schools once again. For now? Nope.

But I will agree that around 2000 when the economy was cranking it was very difficult to choice your kids. Busing was at an all time high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 08:23 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
One of the students where I live, is CHOICED into Clairemont High. Her mother didn't want her to go to the school of residence which is Lincoln. Her son will also be going to Clairemont in another year.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:27 PM

50,284 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
One of the students where I live, is CHOICED into Clairemont High. Her mother didn't want her to go to the school of residence which is Lincoln. Her son will also be going to Clairemont in another year.
I don't blame them. It's a good school. Have they talked about the changes going on? One of mine went there. That's how I know. I have many friends with kids there. Our LL and water polo are all focused with families that live in the area.

Coach Joey is doing a great job. Maybe a dynasty soon.

Anyway, we digress. No places for less than 500K anywhere near the beach.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 01-22-2015 at 08:39 PM..

Old 01-29-2015, 12:49 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,515 times
OP, don't forget to add Lemon Grove to your list!

Old 01-30-2015, 11:14 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,731 times
You should also assume you will be spending around $500K or close to it compared to $350K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego