Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 10:30 PM

919 posts, read 789,744 times

Advertisements

I moved here 16 years ago from PA. I didn't have a seasonal disorder, but I work outdoors in construction. When I got here it was Dec and I remember going to work and just feeling this lightness, like my stress level went way down not having the constant concern about the cold. And it's stayed with me - I feel grateful to be here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 01:58 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,147 times
I'm 73 and moved here from northern New Mexico four years ago. One morning in 2014, while shoveling snow off my driveway, I had an epiphany. I said to myself, "You could be barbecuing in San Diego, instead of risking a heart attack". That afternoon, I started packing. Ended up in Eastlake and am still applauding the move.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:04 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,346,385 times
And to think I could be ice fishing in the dark at -20 below in Minnesota had I only returned home after the military ... the angst is crushing as I sail San Diego bay in mid-winter sun.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:50 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
I'm 73 and moved here from northern New Mexico four years ago. One morning in 2014, while shoveling snow off my driveway, I had an epiphany. I said to myself, "You could be barbecuing in San Diego, instead of risking a heart attack". That afternoon, I started packing. Ended up in Eastlake and am still applauding the move.
No joke: my parents, who were in their early 70s, had plans to move from NY to San Diego. They came out in October, looked at houses, and decided to wait until the following spring when they thought they'd get a better price house in NY.

Three days before Christmas, my father called me to tell me that it was snowing to beat the band. He hung up from our phone call, went out to shovel the front sidewalk, had a heart attack, and died within half an hour after our conversation.

My mother did eventually move out, but by the time she did, she was suffering from a terminal illness so she never was able to enjoy life here.

Live is short. If you can afford it, don't put off moving somewhere you think you'll be happier.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:22 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
No joke: my parents, who were in their early 70s, had plans to move from NY to San Diego. They came out in October, looked at houses, and decided to wait until the following spring when they thought they'd get a better price house in NY.

Three days before Christmas, my father called me to tell me that it was snowing to beat the band. He hung up from our phone call, went out to shovel the front sidewalk, had a heart attack, and died within half an hour after our conversation.

My mother did eventually move out, but by the time she did, she was suffering from a terminal illness so she never was able to enjoy life here.

Live is short. If you can afford it, don't put off moving somewhere you think you'll be happier.
Make sure first.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:30 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Make sure first.
Absolutely!

It should also go without saying that "making sure" includes being certain that the move will work for you financially, because it's hard to be happy anywhere - even in paradise - if you and your family are struggling to pay the bills and put food on the table. You can't east sunshine.

But once you are sure, don't waste too much time dilly-dallying.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:50 AM

771 posts, read 835,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarPowered_kalel View Post
Hello all, I don't mean to revive a dead thread. But has anyone who has actually moved from East coast to Southern Cali experienced remission or reduction in their seasonal affective disorder?
Others have posted that it did help them and I have *zero* doubt in their assertion. That said, larger scale research suggests that moving to a warmer/sunnier place typically does not offer a lasting bump in happiness. Practically speaking, I believe some folks really can benefit from a SoCal climate (and lifestyle) but others are simply caught in the old "the grass is greener" situation. Make sure you're running to something specific and not away from something.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:33 AM

50,284 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And to think I could be ice fishing in the dark at -20 below in Minnesota had I only returned home after the military ... the angst is crushing as I sail San Diego bay in mid-winter sun.
Don't run me over in my kayak Don't forget the sun block.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:37 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,772 times
Make good money in a low-cost-of-living state, most preferably a no-income-tax state. Cut expenses to the bone, save like mad, achieve financial independence. Then you can retire early, work part time, choose any career that gives you time and location flexibility. Also, don't breed: planet is grossly overpopulated, children are an enormous waste of money, they will seriously hinder your goal of true freedom, financial independence, and being pure liquid a la Gordon Gekko.

After you've banked a lot, are no longer a 9 to 5 wage slave (easily achievable in a low COL state with no spawn), own your place, and investments are paying you hand-over-fist, you're done. You can jet anywhere you want, whenever you want, especially during winter, on your own schedule. That's what we do. Love traveling in January when all the breeders are stuck in their soul-sucking back-to-school January routines. Perfect time for financially independent people to travel: very low airfares, markedly reduced rental rates, you get the very best for much less.

Currently in San Diego at the moment, nice little oceanfront condo, days filled with ocean walks and restaurants. Will head back when it warms up a bit in WA (spring usually arrives mid-February, it's beautiful). Next winter, already discussing six weeks in Hawaii just as soon as the breeders are forced back to their cubicles.

Only suckers work a mind-numbing career until they're 65 in a high-cost-of-living state, paying enormous taxes to rapacious tax-and-spend welfare states. If you're not earning mid-six to seven figures in your high cost of living city or state, you're doing it wrong. Very wrong.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:02 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Doesn't get anymore self-absorbed than that right there ... ^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego