Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2015, 11:03 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Once the Chargers leave, the likelihood of our ever getting another team is zero. We would still need to build a state of the art stadium. The few cities that got a second chance at teams already had viable stadiums in place. And I don't see the political climate changing either in SD or in the NFL.
Just on the news, the lawyer in blue jeans said we can probably sue to retain the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 11:23 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
why is Anaheim being discussed? It's not in the game plan at all...it's either LA vicinity or San Diego. I hear Vegas being mentioned too. These cities, as far as I know, aren't even on the NFL radar. My confusion is how can the city of Carson build a $1B stadium with private funding when SD can't. We have a lot more wealth here than Carson. Anyway, I think it's ridiculous to now expect every single new stadium that is being built to be like Levi stadium or Dallas. It's not necessary or needed. I think the powers that be already have their minds made up that SD will be moving. Would the NFL still allow the Rams owner to build a stadium if SD and Raiders move/share a stadium. I get the impression he is going ahead with his plans. Would the owners vote for the Rams to move (I assume they need to approve). I thought they were doing pretty well in St. Louis? I know LA can't have 3 teams...this is getting crazy!
There's no way the NFL would allow three teams in the LA market or any market for that matter. The Rams would basically be SOL if this happens and it's looking more and more likely that it will. They are going ahead with their plans for sure. They secured private funding and I believe they have already purchased the land. You don't buy land during nine months of talks if you're just "keeping your options open". They are operating as the business people that they are. They realized another team is just as unhappy with their city as they are and a third team was eyeing the same market.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Just on the news, the lawyer in blue jeans said we can probably sue to retain the name.
Why would we want to retain the name?

Old 02-22-2015, 11:44 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Why would we want to retain the name?
I don't. I want something cool like SD surfers With a surf board on the helmet!

Old 02-22-2015, 12:37 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I don't. I want something cool like SD surfers With a surf board on the helmet!
Are you suggesting a new team called something like the Riders (waves)? I am sure the Raiders would love that.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:02 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
When Modell snuck the Browns out of Cleveland, their name was changed. And the city of Cleveland seemed to be able to retain their name, as they are using it now. Not sure about all the legalities of how those things are handled. Course Cleveland was moved out of their metro area, so that probably had something to do with it. The Raiders have retained their name no matter where they played. Interesting question though...I just assumed the Chargers would still be the Chargers (just dropping the San Diego part).

Old 02-22-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
When Modell snuck the Browns out of Cleveland, their name was changed. And the city of Cleveland seemed to be able to retain their name, as they are using it now. Not sure about all the legalities of how those things are handled. Course Cleveland was moved out of their metro area, so that probably had something to do with it. The Raiders have retained their name no matter where they played. Interesting question though...I just assumed the Chargers would still be the Chargers (just dropping the San Diego part).
Some names will work anywhere, others won't. Raider is a name that can really be used anywhere as it's not tied to Oakland or California at all. Now if the 49er's left the Bay Area, that name would not make sense anywhere else. Just like when the Houston Oilers moved to Tennessee, that name doesn't fit in TN. I don't know the significance behind the Chargers name so I couldn't say.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:47 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Some names will work anywhere, others won't. Raider is a name that can really be used anywhere as it's not tied to Oakland or California at all. Now if the 49er's left the Bay Area, that name would not make sense anywhere else. Just like when the Houston Oilers moved to Tennessee, that name doesn't fit in TN. I don't know the significance behind the Chargers name so I couldn't say.
I didn't either until I found this link. Had no idea the Hilton family was the original owner either. Seems pretty generic and could be used in any city.

What's in a Nickname? The Origins of All 32 NFL Team Names | Mental Floss

"Team owner Barron Hilton sponsored a name-the-team contest and promised a trip to Mexico City to the winner in 1960. Gerald Courtney submitted “Chargers” and Hilton reportedly liked the name so much that he didn’t open another letter.

There are varying accounts as to why Hilton chose Chargers for his franchise, which spent one year in Los Angeles before relocating to San Diego. According to one story, Hilton liked the name, in part, for its affiliation with his new Carte Blanche credit card. The owner also told reporters that he was fond of the “Charge!” bugle cry played at the Los Angeles Coliseum."

I'll put my vote in for the San Diego Sharks...a counter to the Dolphins in Miami. Though the chamber of commerce might not like the image of sharks.

Last edited by StreetLegal; 02-22-2015 at 02:57 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 02:56 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Listen. I don't give a darn about what you think of where I live and whether you think my residence somehow does not entitle me to tell the truth about bars-in-the-windows Carson. It may be more Filipino now, great, but it is still 'hood. Stay in your 'hood.
Ok, good for you. You are free to call Carson a ghetto and I am free to call southern Orange County an area populated with a lot of closed minded, sheltered individuals.

LA Galaxy have played in Carson for years. I don't live in Carson but I've been there in the last year. I'd call it a working class suburb, not a dangerous ghetto.

Last edited by StreetLegal; 02-22-2015 at 03:20 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 03:08 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
There's already the San Jose Sharks hockey team...might be too close to us and get confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego