Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 04:47 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times

Advertisements

Inside Comic Con is wall to wall people, plus it's hot and sweaty. You have to push your way through the crowd anywhere you want to go. I had to do the same when I worked Mardi Gras last Tuesday. The only difference is that Comic Con attendees don't go to get drunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 05:51 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,137,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
Not sure why this was necessary to mention. I recommend discrediting the argument rather than the individual as you just look stubborn and arrogant.

... Now, I concede that Comic Con will likely move to Anaheim simply because it has more floor space and makes more financial sense.

However, don't even dare trying to compare suburbia/parking lot central Anaheim Convention Center to Downtown San Diego. I don't care about your fake sense-of-place shopping malls or chain restaurants.
Those who are unable of providing any consideration to others ought not expect any in return. In a previous thread you stooped to the level of saying that I needed to die because "people of my generation just need to die" as they think a certain way that you dislike (opposition to subsidized housing).

I am glad you conceded that Anaheim will likely get the event.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Ok, stay down there in southern Orange County in your gated community. Meanwhile life goes on in the real world.....
Listen. I don't give a darn about what you think of where I live and whether you think my residence somehow does not entitle me to tell the truth about bars-in-the-windows Carson. It may be more Filipino now, great, but it is still 'hood. Stay in your 'hood.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:11 PM

788 posts, read 1,876,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Those who are unable of providing any consideration to others ought not expect any in return. In a previous thread you stooped to the level of saying that I needed to die because "people of my generation just need to die" as they think a certain way that you dislike (opposition to subsidized housing).

I am glad you conceded that Anaheim will likely get the event.
I apologize for my rashness- a sincere apology as it was an extremely poor choice of words. However, I do believe that the baby boomer generation is extremely outdated and their views (and consumer choices) are increasingly irrelevant to modern society, yet they have an overwhelming political clout. They have left our country with too many ills to count and I believe it is time for them to exit the political arena. This includes you. Your advice about San Diego area topics is often misleading, incorrect, or not appropriate. How can you possibly not understand why so many people react negatively to your posts?

Back to the topic: Yes, Anaheim will likely get the event because it always comes down to money, larger crowds, etc. All else considered, not the best choice for Comic Con.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:18 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
No matter where Comic Con moves to, it'll quickly outgrow the space, they'll be able to sell more tickets, which means it's going to harder to get tickets, because more people want to go.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I apologize for my rashness- a sincere apology as it was an extremely poor choice of words. However, I do believe that the baby boomer generation is extremely outdated and their views (and consumer choices) are increasingly irrelevant to modern society, yet they have an overwhelming political clout. They have left our country with too many ills to count and I believe it is time for them to exit the political arena. This includes you. Your advice about San Diego area topics is often misleading, incorrect, or not appropriate. How can you possibly not understand why so many people react negatively to your posts?

Back to the topic: Yes, Anaheim will likely get the event because it always comes down to money, larger crowds, etc. All else considered, not the best choice for Comic Con.
Not a problem, understood and appreciated. Just so you know, I am not a baby boomer.

Honestly, I don't have a stake in the Comic-con convention at all and don't care who gets it or whether it moves. I will say this though: As a kid, I used to go to the precursor of Comicon that predated it by a few years. It was held in 'Casa de Ana' at the Anaheim convention center. It was memorable since a bunch of us got into trouble scaling the walls since they sloop to the ground. The point is that Anaheim has long held these sorts of things. FWIW, I think Vegas would kill any other destination if the destination could take place during the winter. Consider the food choices, massive selection of hotels (prices), etc.

As for the NFL, I like the Chargers since I am a latent San Diegan. I certainly am not a Raiders fan. And in any case, I prefer other sports over football. It would be sad to see the Chargers lost though, but SD cannot afford what they demand. If the Chargers leave, in a perfect world, I would like them to come to OC. I know it is unlikely. As for whether and what team LA gets, I am somewhat ambivalent. However, if LA were to land the Chargers, it may force me to go to LA from time to time to see them. But since there is no metrolink to the South Bay, OC fans would have to drive.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Not a problem, understood and appreciated. Just so you know, I am not a baby boomer.

Honestly, I don't have a stake in the Comic-con convention at all and don't care who gets it or whether it moves. I will say this though: As a kid, I used to go to the precursor of Comicon that predated it by a few years. It was held in 'Casa de Ana' at the Anaheim convention center. It was memorable since a bunch of us got into trouble scaling the walls since they sloop to the ground. The point is that Anaheim has long held these sorts of things. FWIW, I think Vegas would kill any other destination if the destination could take place during the winter. Consider the food choices, massive selection of hotels (prices), etc.

As for the NFL, I like the Chargers since I am a latent San Diegan. I certainly am not a Raiders fan. And in any case, I prefer other sports over football. It would be sad to see the Chargers lost though, but SD cannot afford what they demand. If the Chargers leave, in a perfect world, I would like them to come to OC. I know it is unlikely. As for whether and what team LA gets, I am somewhat ambivalent. However, if LA were to land the Chargers, it may force me to go to LA from time to time to see them. But since there is no metrolink to the South Bay, OC fans would have to drive.
Yes, completely agree. Vegas is convention heaven.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:00 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,069 times
Quote:

"San Diego Comic Con" vs. "Anaheim Comic Con"

Most people know San Diego. Anaheim? Don't know it exists.

Oh let's be real clear. I dislike most shopping malls, San Diego or Orange County. I just used shopping malls because that's the limited shopping opportunities next to your convention center. SD has a mall, shopping streets, markets, etc. You have strip malls and suburban malls. There's no contest. We have Rockin Baja AND Cuatro Milpas, we have Spaghetti Factory AND Little Italy. We have Broken Yolk AND the Mission.
LMAO!! Are you serious right now? Everyone knows Anaheim because thats where Disneyland is located and even people in their world countries know what Disneyland is. You think they know what the Gaslamp district is? You think anyone gives two craps about the markets in SD? I can guarantee you more people know Anaheim then San Diego lol. Im not sure if it was you who mentioned the Angels and adding LA to their name. The only reason Arte Moreno changed the name of the Angels was for the $300 million dollars he got from the TV rights for the Angels because of it. Everyone associates Anaheim with Disney and he didn't want them associated with Disney when he bought the team from them in 2003 and wanted to change the name then. The city freaked out and threatened him, so he backed off. The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim name was a way he could still get his TV contract and keep the city somewhat happy. Oh and you think Anaheim DOESNT have non-chain restaurants? LOL!! We have a ton son! We have Rockin Baja AND The Catch, we have Spaghetti Factory AND Cortinas, we have Broken Yolk AND the Original Pancake House. We can do this for days. Again, you have nothing we don't have here aside from an NFL team.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
LMAO!! Are you serious right now? Everyone knows Anaheim because thats where Disneyland is located and even people in their world countries know what Disneyland is. You think they know what the Gaslamp district is? You think anyone gives two craps about the markets in SD? I can guarantee you more people know Anaheim then San Diego lol.
Oh dear. This warrants the question, have you ever left Anaheim? Or met people not from Anaheim?

Let's get something straight. NO ONE knows that Anaheim is a place or even exists. People know the attraction, NOT the place. Have you ever once heard someone say they are going on vacation to Anaheim? Didn't think so. No one books a trip to Anaheim, no one wants to visit Anaheim. They go to Disneyland, which as far as they are concerned is in LA. In fact, most people associate Disneyland with LA or Orange County. San Diego is an internationally known coastal city famous for its weather and beauty. Next time you travel abroad, tell someone you are from Anaheim. Reaction? "Where is that?" " I'm not familiar"

Quote:
Oh and you think Anaheim DOESNT have non-chain restaurants? LOL!! We have a ton son! We have Rockin Baja AND The Catch, we have Spaghetti Factory AND Cortinas, we have Broken Yolk AND the Original Pancake House. We can do this for days. Again, you have nothing we don't have here aside from an NFL team.
No, you don't. Not in proximity to the convention center. Just checked yelp to verify. Most restaurants are chains.

1. No downtown

2. No history

3. no attractions other than Disney

4. no airport

5. no beaches

6. no identity

7. no craft breweries

San Diego has all of these in proximity to its convention center. Anaheim has hotels and parking lots.

Last edited by sdhkshdcny09; 02-21-2015 at 11:01 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 11:09 PM

817 posts, read 921,928 times
You aren't supposed to have an airport in proximity to your convention center. You also aren't supposed to have an airport 2 miles from downtown. Even Shreveport's airport is 13 miles from downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego