Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 02:34 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Getting another team in a few years may just be what the City needs? Let's face it, this one is now really tainted. Damaged goods. If they stay it will always be remembered and no fan is going to trust the owners.

Hopefully we can get a team that has an owner without the swap meet budget mind set
The city will never get a new team if the Chargers Leave. We could build a 2 billion dollar Stadium and it wouldn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 04:06 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,483,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
The city will never get a new team if the Chargers Leave. We could build a 2 billion dollar Stadium and it wouldn't happen.

Why not? Baltimore, St. Louis, Cleveland, and Houston all got teams after theirs left.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:17 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
A rendering of the proposed stadium...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4pUrUcH0ic

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 02-23-2015 at 04:34 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 04:40 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
A rendering of the proposed stadium...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4pUrUcH0ic
LOL

They ain't gonna get anything close to that from us

Old 02-23-2015, 04:51 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
Why not? Baltimore, St. Louis, Cleveland, and Houston all got teams after theirs left.

St. Louis might lose theirs again. Baltimore and Cleveland have hardcore fan bases. I am not sure about Houston so I won't comment on them. The Colts owner essentially packed up in the middle of the night and left. And many Colts fans remained pissed off and had celebrations for what, 15 years or something until they got a new team. However, Baltimore stole the Browns from Cleveland. So the Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens. Many in Cleveland were pissed off and again, the 'dawg pound' has always been popular. St Louis got the Rams from LA, and so on.

And none of these teams moved to a city 2 hours away where there might be some fans of the team anyway. If Houston left for Austin, I doubt Houston ever gets another team, at least not for 20-30 years.

The Spanos already fight to not have a team in LA or Orange County. If the Rams were to move to LA, the Spanos would fight against it. Who knows if it would matter or not, but if the Chargers move to LA, the Spanos are going to fight against any team moving or starting up in San diego.

Maybe in 20 years time that will change, but 20 years is a long time. How many Rams fans are left in LA? Anybody under 30 in Southern California probably has no relationship with the LA Rams at all. Maybe a passing thought of a team who left years ago when they were still kids. Hell, push it out a little further and anybody under 40 has a limited relationship with the LA Rams.

So yeah 20+ years from now San Diego could win another football team, but there is no way the LA Chargers owners (Spanos or somebody else) would ever allow a team to move to or start in San Diego. And SD isn't exactly a hardcore sports town as it is, so how many fans would be left in 10-20 years anyway?

Old 02-24-2015, 01:58 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Anaheim is just plain boring.
Yea Really! I mean, a few months ago I went to dinner at a great jazz kitchen at Downtown Disney followed by a terrific Fleetwood Mac concert at Honda Center. Last month, I went to the NAMM show at the Anaheim convention center (largest convention center on the west coast) and met members of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Megadeth, Lynyrd Skynyrd (plus a ton more) and saw Slash jam with Richie Sambora at the Les Paul booth. A few weeks back, I went to see the New England Patriots Super Bowl victory parade at Disneyland. I just went to a great local brewery (JT Schmids) for dinner and then across the street to see the Anaheim Ducks play the Detroit Red Wings tonight. Im going to the Farmers Market and then dinner at a great restaurant called The Ranch for a nice big steak and some country line dancing this weekend, yeehaw! Oh and the Angels opening night is just around the corner. Help! Im sooooo bored! Please take me to a real city like San Diego! LOL

Last edited by dexter14; 02-24-2015 at 02:19 AM..

Old 02-24-2015, 09:52 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
St. Louis might lose theirs again. Baltimore and Cleveland have hardcore fan bases. I am not sure about Houston so I won't comment on them. The Colts owner essentially packed up in the middle of the night and left. And many Colts fans remained pissed off and had celebrations for what, 15 years or something until they got a new team. However, Baltimore stole the Browns from Cleveland. So the Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens. Many in Cleveland were pissed off and again, the 'dawg pound' has always been popular. St Louis got the Rams from LA, and so on.

And none of these teams moved to a city 2 hours away where there might be some fans of the team anyway. If Houston left for Austin, I doubt Houston ever gets another team, at least not for 20-30 years.

The Spanos already fight to not have a team in LA or Orange County. If the Rams were to move to LA, the Spanos would fight against it. Who knows if it would matter or not, but if the Chargers move to LA, the Spanos are going to fight against any team moving or starting up in San diego.

Maybe in 20 years time that will change, but 20 years is a long time. How many Rams fans are left in LA? Anybody under 30 in Southern California probably has no relationship with the LA Rams at all. Maybe a passing thought of a team who left years ago when they were still kids. Hell, push it out a little further and anybody under 40 has a limited relationship with the LA Rams.

So yeah 20+ years from now San Diego could win another football team, but there is no way the LA Chargers owners (Spanos or somebody else) would ever allow a team to move to or start in San Diego. And SD isn't exactly a hardcore sports town as it is, so how many fans would be left in 10-20 years anyway?
Could not have of said it better myself
San Diego is no Cleavland when it come to Sports Loyalty ( Go to youtube and see the fans reaction when Lebron James left)
All the city's you mentioned above are, Liberal leaning citys, with good business infrastructure for the Corporate Sky box seats. The City of Cleavland is the only exception on your list. Those folks are crazy and will sell a kidney just to attend a game.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:58 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
Heard this morning that LT wants to get involved in some way in keeping the Chargers here in SD. Maybe he should suit up, we sure could use him!

Old 02-24-2015, 10:40 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
There are already condos surrounding the Q. I used to live in one.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:45 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
LOL

They ain't gonna get anything close to that from us
Haha, nope. Not in a million years! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego